British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Rental references (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/rental-references-466493/)

I_Will_Freckle Jul 16th 2007 8:42 am

Rental references

I've been looking online at properties to let and most seem to require references. What kind of references are these? Do we have to bring something from the UK? Will a bank or employer reference do?

C&R Jul 16th 2007 8:45 am

Re: Rental references

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle (Post 5060744)
I've been looking online at properties to let and most seem to require references. What kind of references are these? Do we have to bring something from the UK? Will a bank or employer reference do?

Usually you would just write two referrees name and address's on the application form you need to complete when you find somewhere. My property agent did not check them though.

I_Will_Freckle Jul 16th 2007 8:47 am

Originally Posted by C&R (Post 5060753)
Usually you would just write two referrees name and address's on the application form you need to complete when you find somewhere. My property agent did not check them though.

Thanks for that :D

birdynumnum Jul 16th 2007 9:45 am

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle (Post 5060744)

We had a reference from our l/lord of 5 years in UK (written 6 months earlier), the agents here were complete arses telling the l/lord our ref's were outdated. I remedied the situation by writing new ref's which the landlord found glowing - worked a treat :)
Just remeber here often you are 'competing' for a property. They have open days, people view and if you want it you have to apply and be 'chosen'. Offering a sum to help lay a claim does help with some real estate agents too.
Good luck

hitchcock71 Jul 16th 2007 9:52 am

i was also told writting a statement about yr family works well as well.

get written ref from yr new job saying that oh has a job so can afford the rent.

get refs from friends etc old work etc

estate agent also said if you rented a holiday home ask them to give you a ref the people we rented our holiday home with in april readily agreed to do a ref

midwife2be Jul 16th 2007 9:56 am

I've been told to get a ref from our uk neighbours about our dog!! Not sure if it applies to any of you, but if you are hoping to rent with a pet it might be an idea.

Just to say that he is an outside dog and well controlled etc :D

hitchcock71 Jul 16th 2007 9:57 am

any news midwife????

midwife2be Jul 16th 2007 10:05 am

No!!! But I have spoken to someone who says it doesnt matter and that they know because I've trained in uk I'll have my 40 deliveries, just these forms dont actually admit that do they :sneaky:

Apologies to op for hijacking the thread a bit xx

birdynumnum Jul 16th 2007 10:09 am

Originally Posted by midwife2be (Post 5060980)
I've been told to get a ref from our uk neighbours about our dog!! Not sure if it applies to any of you, but if you are hoping to rent with a pet it might be an idea.

Just to say that he is an outside dog and well controlled etc :D

Another thing not advertised is the offering of a 'pet bond'. This is enough to satisfy some landlords/agents

hitchcock71 Jul 16th 2007 10:10 am

pm you

sorry freckle !!!:wub::wub:

tiff

hitchcock71 Jul 16th 2007 10:11 am

what about if you have a cat ? pet bond????

birdynumnum Jul 16th 2007 10:14 am

Originally Posted by hitchcock71 (Post 5061033)
what about if you have a cat ? pet bond????

some places may be more open to a cat as opposed to a dog living there.
some are just anti pets - if thats the case though, the pet bond may persuade an agent/landlord to let to you anyway.
If pets are allowed, dont even mention it though. The pet bond isnt a norm just a way of possibly securing a rental thats advertised as 'no pets'. By offering an extra bond for the pets, the l/lord knows if you cat/ dog damages the property they are covered.
Also offering fumigation for fleas goes down well IF you're having problems

hitchcock71 Jul 16th 2007 10:17 am

emmm interesting thanks for that

all my cat does is sleep and eat now she is as the vet said on thursday nrly 80 yrs old in human terms!!!!

birdynumnum Jul 16th 2007 10:18 am

Originally Posted by hitchcock71 (Post 5061052)
emmm interesting thanks for that

all my cat does is sleep and eat now she is as the vet said on thursday nrly 80 yrs old in human terms!!!!

ahhhhh bless.
an ol biddy
x

hitchcock71 Jul 16th 2007 10:59 am

old biddie she maybe but she can still bring down and kill a pigeon like she did yesterday.