Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental Question - Urgent Repairs NSW

Rental Question - Urgent Repairs NSW

Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice
Default Rental Question - Urgent Repairs NSW

Does anyone know what a 'reasonable time' for urgent repairs as per the office of fair trading in NSW?

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Te...intenance.html

At the moment we have a blocked toilet. Its not too bad yet - we havent had a flush disaster yet - but it is not flushing properly and it fills up worryingly high before subsiding after the flush, usually without effectively removing all the debris (to put it politely) but a second flush is doing the trick at the moment. I really dread what happens when it doesnt do the trick, urgh.

We told the estate agent this morning but they have not yet done anything about it. Now surely its better for everyone if they come and fix it before the flush disaster happens, mostly better for us but also for the plumber (gross) and cheaper for the landlord.

Anyway, back to the question, what is a reasonable time as per the fairtrading guidelines?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:26 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Rental Question - Urgent Repairs NSW

I take it you have tried one of these first

Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Yeah, no luck I'm afraid.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
Does anyone know what a 'reasonable time' for urgent repairs as per the office of fair trading in NSW?

At the moment we have a blocked toilet. Its not too bad yet - we havent had a flush disaster yet - but it is not flushing properly and it fills up worryingly high before subsiding after the flush, usually without effectively removing all the debris (to put it politely) but a second flush is doing the trick at the moment. I really dread what happens when it doesnt do the trick, urgh.

We told the estate agent this morning but they have not yet done anything about it. Now surely its better for everyone if they come and fix it before the flush disaster happens, mostly better for us but also for the plumber (gross) and cheaper for the landlord.

Anyway, back to the question, what is a reasonable time as per the fairtrading guidelines?
Is there something in your lease where you can call someone in if it's an emergency... I seem to recall a section of our lease where we are obligated to get help say if there's a large water leak or something that would cause damage. I imagine you then submit the bill to be reimbursed.

Now, not to say what you have is an emergency but if it ends up overflowing and you have muck running out the door and into the hall, that would be a problem...and you'd think the owner would rather that than trying to clean up afterwards.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, no luck I'm afraid.
My contract has a clause in it where if the situation is dangerous or a serious health hazard I can get a plumber or whatever after hours and then tell the agent the next day. I would've though IF the loo was to overflow it becomes a health hazard. Is there a similar clause in yours?
Alternatively, call the NSW equivalent of the Rental Tenants Authority (they are the Qld body) and have a chat to them.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:37 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

as its going down slowly its not completly blocked so why dont you drop a gallon of cheap bleach down it or a box of caustic soda
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

bbulsara is an unknown quantity at this point

Do u Get Drainext There? It Kind of Powder which Unblocks all the Blockage Pipes .
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:46 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

A full bucket of water from a height down it..
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bbulsara
Do u Get Drainext There? It Kind of Powder which Unblocks all the Blockage Pipes .
PLEASE if you use ANY kind of chemical unblocking agent, TELL YOUR PLUMBER......
I've got numerous scars from using high pressure equipment that can blow the caustic liquid back into you
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. The toilet is still hanging in there, and we finally managed to get the estate agents to do something, we should have a plumber this afternoon

I'll just cross my legs till then
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:35 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bbulsara
Bio-Clean is a non-toxic, biodegradable drain cleaner.
It creates no toxic fumes like other harsh caustic drain cleaners, no heat to burn you and no boiling to ruin or corrode your pipe work, therefore it is very safe to use for you and your drain pipes. But.... $120

I think the cheap caustic stuff is better

Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. The toilet is still hanging in there, and we finally managed to get the estate agents to do something, we should have a plumber this afternoon

I'll just cross my legs till then
That is so shitty (I bet that will get asterix instead of what I wrote!!!)

Hope it's sorted soon!!

love

Rudi
x
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

lol

ABCD, $120!!! I will wait for the plumber, thats free!
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

So, the plumber has just been. Apparently it was tree roots in the pipes

To me that sounds like the pipes have been broken and now have roots growing into them. I am glad I just rent this place. He did some noisy thing and said it was cleared, but surely the pipes would need to be replaced if they have holes int them?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

I am tempted to make some joke about the capatins 'log' but that would be just downright tasteless...