Rental question

Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Moonfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rental question

Hi, Sorry I know there are a few rental questions knocking around at the moment.
What I wanted to know is this....Is it wrong to offer more for a rental than what they are asking. I have seen a rental that looks nice, its 380,pw. Would it be wrong if I was to offer 390. I mean would I really pi88 off the agent?
Also I feel a bit like Im being underhanded , in that others are applying in good faith that everyone is equal. That bit bothers me the most, but its so hard to find a rental whilst you are living in another state , Im feeling a bit desperate right now, just not sure im desperate enough to cheat
Old Oct 19th 2011, 4:41 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental question

Originally Posted by Moonfish
Hi, Sorry I know there are a few rental questions knocking around at the moment.
What I wanted to know is this....Is it wrong to offer more for a rental than what they are asking. I have seen a rental that looks nice, its 380,pw. Would it be wrong if I was to offer 390. I mean would I really pi88 off the agent?
Also I feel a bit like Im being underhanded , in that others are applying in good faith that everyone is equal. That bit bothers me the most, but its so hard to find a rental whilst you are living in another state , Im feeling a bit desperate right now, just not sure im desperate enough to cheat
It is common to offer more and others will more than likely do it if you don't. The agent is out to get the best deal for the client (and the most commission for their business).

If you look at enough properties you will eventually know what is value for money and you may be prepared to pay that bit more just to ensure you get it!

Also.... I heard this on the radio yesterday..... Might help????
Listened to an interesting interview on the radio today, with tips on the best way to secure a rental in Perth, including where people go wrong..... much of it is common sense, but might be useful to someone out there?

The spokesperson was from REIWA (Real Estate in Western Australia) www.reiwa.com.au

She was saying that the rental market is 'tight' at the moment with more people looking for properties than the number of properties available and people are making the mistake of applying for properties with 'huge gaps' in the information required on the agreement. Basically you must provide as much information as possible to even get a look in, and with the tight market anyone not making the effort to prepare will virtually be discounted at the outset.....

#1 You must prove beyond doubt who you are - There are a lot of scams and so anyone who may not appear who they are will not be considered for the property.
#2 Supporting proof of who you are, lots of it - Utility bills, bank accounts, passports copies, driving license etc etc
#3 Character references (more than one if possible) - Even better a reference from a previous rental agent to show you are a safe bet and will look after the property
#4 Pet reference - If applying with a pet, prove beyond doubt the pet is well behaved, has not caused a disturbance or damage
#5 Appearance - You have to look the part to get the property, many people turn up to present documents and haven't made an effort with their appearance. If you don't look smart, what will the property look like in 6 months!
#6 Look to create a partnership with the agent - The better you get on with the agent and can show that you will be a great tenant, the better your chances of securing the property. The agent has to try and do the best for their property owners.

When we first arrived we had never rented before and so found the entire process pretty stressful. If you are well prepared when applying for a property with documents required and proof as listed, you should stand a better chance than others who are not preparing adequately.

We had 5 years of renting..... good luck!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
It is common to offer more and others will more than likely do it if you don't. The agent is out to get the best deal for the client (and the most commission for their business).

If you look at enough properties you will eventually know what is value for money and you may be prepared to pay that bit more just to ensure you get it!

Also.... I heard this on the radio yesterday..... Might help????
Listened to an interesting interview on the radio today, with tips on the best way to secure a rental in Perth, including where people go wrong..... much of it is common sense, but might be useful to someone out there?

The spokesperson was from REIWA (Real Estate in Western Australia) www.reiwa.com.au

She was saying that the rental market is 'tight' at the moment with more people looking for properties than the number of properties available and people are making the mistake of applying for properties with 'huge gaps' in the information required on the agreement. Basically you must provide as much information as possible to even get a look in, and with the tight market anyone not making the effort to prepare will virtually be discounted at the outset.....

#1 You must prove beyond doubt who you are - There are a lot of scams and so anyone who may not appear who they are will not be considered for the property.
#2 Supporting proof of who you are, lots of it - Utility bills, bank accounts, passports copies, driving license etc etc
#3 Character references (more than one if possible) - Even better a reference from a previous rental agent to show you are a safe bet and will look after the property
#4 Pet reference - If applying with a pet, prove beyond doubt the pet is well behaved, has not caused a disturbance or damage
#5 Appearance - You have to look the part to get the property, many people turn up to present documents and haven't made an effort with their appearance. If you don't look smart, what will the property look like in 6 months!
#6 Look to create a partnership with the agent - The better you get on with the agent and can show that you will be a great tenant, the better your chances of securing the property. The agent has to try and do the best for their property owners.

When we first arrived we had never rented before and so found the entire process pretty stressful. If you are well prepared when applying for a property with documents required and proof as listed, you should stand a better chance than others who are not preparing adequately.

We had 5 years of renting..... good luck!
Thank you
We had never rented before moving here either. Its a bit of a shock, turning up for a viewing, along with a so many other families,all trailing from one room to another. I hate the fact that we are now faced with it all over again
I agree totally with one thing you mentioned, its so important to make friends with the agent. If they like you you are half way there, on the flip side, if they dont, then dont bother going to see anything they have ,cos you wont get it anyway.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 5:16 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moonfish
Thank you
We had never rented before moving here either. Its a bit of a shock, turning up for a viewing, along with a so many other families,all trailing from one room to another. I hate the fact that we are now faced with it all over again
I agree totally with one thing you mentioned, its so important to make friends with the agent. If they like you you are half way there, on the flip side, if they dont, then dont bother going to see anything they have ,cos you wont get it anyway.
Something else we did......

Go to all the rental agents and get their rental tenancy application forms.
Pre-fill them so that on the day you veiw the property if you it, you can hand your application in there and then to the agent (possibly with the first month rent? (I would)) The first impression will be efficient and you may gain an advantage?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Something else we did......

Go to all the rental agents and get their rental tenancy application forms.
Pre-fill them so that on the day you veiw the property if you it, you can hand your application in there and then to the agent (possibly with the first month rent? (I would)) The first impression will be efficient and you may gain an advantage?
Yes, we did that here,with our rental, not with the first months rent, just made sure we had the application form filled in ready to go, but having the rent ready is a good idea

Thanks