British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Rental places and cats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/rental-places-cats-376860/)

monkeypeaches Jun 1st 2006 12:34 pm

Rental places and cats

Hiya everyone :-)

I was just wondering if any cat owners could share their experiences of getting a decent rental place. I have been looking online at ads and so many of them say 'no pets'. Now do they really mean no pets at all? Has anyone managed to negotiate in this situation, maybe paying an extra bond for possible damage?

Not that we're heading to Oz till next year, but I like to be prepared...

Thanks
Rach

Teliko21 Jun 1st 2006 12:57 pm

Re: Rental places and cats

Originally Posted by monkeypeaches

I was just wondering if any cat owners could share their experiences of getting a decent rental place. I have been looking online at ads and so many of them say 'no pets'. Now do they really mean no pets at all? Has anyone managed to negotiate in this situation, maybe paying an extra bond for possible damage?

Thanks
Rach

Depends on the landlord I guess. Ours was advertised as no pets but we wrote a nice letter saying we had a dog and cat and would pay for any damage caused by them etc etc and we were allowed to rent the place without having to pay any extra :)

p63500sv8 Jun 1st 2006 1:47 pm

Thanks
Rach

Hi
The day after we arrived I got details of every rental in the area we wanted to live and most of them said no pets.
However, we looked at 2 rentals and applied for the first and were accepted with 2 cats with no problems. After 2 weeks in the rental we bought a puppy as well with permission from the landlord!
Speak to a few agents before you travel, if you are leaving the UK at a busy time of year ie July you might struggle to find somewhere as you could have lots of competition. As we travelled at the end of April, we have had no problems.
Just look at it as reducing your choices making the final rental selection easier!

Good luck for when you are out here.

MichaelB

Alison1967 Jun 1st 2006 9:02 pm

Its negiotiable, most tenancies have the clause about pets but will take it out especially if you are offering several months rent up front!!

Good luck

Ali

Keebs Jun 1st 2006 11:02 pm

Thanks
Rach

Found one quite quickly, just negotiate, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Keebs

monkeypeaches Jun 2nd 2006 9:28 am

Thanks guys :-)

I won't be too worried then, seems like a bit of negotiation is all that's needed! Just have to worry about shipping the poor little mite now!

Cheers
Rach x