Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental places and cats

Rental places and cats

Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

monkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rental places and cats

Hiya everyone :-)

I was just wondering if any cat owners could share their experiences of getting a decent rental place. I have been looking online at ads and so many of them say 'no pets'. Now do they really mean no pets at all? Has anyone managed to negotiate in this situation, maybe paying an extra bond for possible damage?

Not that we're heading to Oz till next year, but I like to be prepared...

Thanks
Rach
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental places and cats

Originally Posted by monkeypeaches

I was just wondering if any cat owners could share their experiences of getting a decent rental place. I have been looking online at ads and so many of them say 'no pets'. Now do they really mean no pets at all? Has anyone managed to negotiate in this situation, maybe paying an extra bond for possible damage?

Thanks
Rach
Depends on the landlord I guess. Ours was advertised as no pets but we wrote a nice letter saying we had a dog and cat and would pay for any damage caused by them etc etc and we were allowed to rent the place without having to pay any extra
Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

p63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura about
Cool Re: Rental places and cats

Thanks
Rach
Hi
The day after we arrived I got details of every rental in the area we wanted to live and most of them said no pets.
However, we looked at 2 rentals and applied for the first and were accepted with 2 cats with no problems. After 2 weeks in the rental we bought a puppy as well with permission from the landlord!
Speak to a few agents before you travel, if you are leaving the UK at a busy time of year ie July you might struggle to find somewhere as you could have lots of competition. As we travelled at the end of April, we have had no problems.
Just look at it as reducing your choices making the final rental selection easier!

Good luck for when you are out here.

MichaelB
Old Jun 1st 2006, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

Its negiotiable, most tenancies have the clause about pets but will take it out especially if you are offering several months rent up front!!

Good luck

Ali
Old Jun 1st 2006, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about

Thanks
Rach
Found one quite quickly, just negotiate, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Keebs
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

monkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys :-)

I won't be too worried then, seems like a bit of negotiation is all that's needed! Just have to worry about shipping the poor little mite now!

Cheers
Rach x