Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental market in November/December

Rental market in November/December

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
Really depends what line of work you're in. like take the service/safety engineering industry - Around nov dec , end of the year through to feb and march , quite a lot of the major manufacturing industries/plants like the oil, gas companies , sugar refineries, coffee mills, breweries and so on have major shut downs in certain parts of their plants (not the whole plant.. they never shut) For the reason they need checking and major overhauls for safety standards/reasons every so often (or they might blow up.. lol - actually that's not funny that disaster did happen in Vic) - so this is one of the busiest time for the safety service engineering line of work.

a lot of other jobs are very quiet.

I suppose the only other jobs which are very busy around christmas are restaurants, bars, holiday industry, nurses, doctors , police , hairdressers , shop work . etc etc (must be a lot more than that too.. but I'd assume all those types of jobs are very busy around christmas)

rentals .. around Nov/dec and Jan you'll have less of a choice. People do not want to move around this time of year. There are always less rentals, and less property for sale around this time.. not saying you will not get anything, but you have less choice ( I moved one dec., very late nov I think it was, and I had terrible trouble finding a decent rental)

Haven't got a clue about renting without a job ( never done it) .. but like has been said money usually talks , plus bring some refs if you are renting in the UK, or even a ref from a bank manager saying you have the capability and plenty of funds in your account to pay your ongoing rent. I think most people come to Aus without a job, and they manage to find a rental.

But all in all.. I'd agree . it is not the best month of the year to move here.. most other jobs it is quiet, and rental situation you have less of a choice. If it were me , I'd move around March or even April way after the holiday, silly season.

But if you have no choice don't worry about it.. no big deal. it MAY take you a little longer to find work, and you'll certainly find a rental..it's just that there's more choice of rentals after christmas ( same goes for house buying too)
Hi Ceri,
thanks for all the info. We were planning on moving out in Feb next year, but have just found out I'm pregnant and due in March so we've had to bring the date forward!
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

FalcoThorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Salli,

Like you we are also moving to Perth in Nov. We haven't arranged anything, but we are thinking of using either Pomsinperth or Gail from WA Welcome (saw advertisment on Marketplace forum of Britishexpats). Emailed WA Welcome and they quoted finding us a 3/4 bed house to rent in the Northern suburbs for 4 wks, 2 wks car rental, pick up from the airport and a grocery starter pack, along with and information pack. This would eliminate alot of hassle for us when we arrive and we thought 4 wks would give us enough time to find a place to rent. I have yet to contact pomsinperth.

We are also aprehensive about whether this is a good time to go, but know there is never a good time, and as we have 2 kids, we need find schools before the schools close in order for them to start the new school year.

Good luck with your plans!

Cheers

Linzie
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

piglit is an unknown quantity at this point

Im in SA but I know there is a web site called pommesinperth (not sure if this is spelt ok) they have rental accom on there and this may be able to assist you ar contact them.
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Linzie and Piglet,

thanks for your help....have emailed WA Welcome and I'm just about to go check out PomsinPerth to see what I can find