Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

RENTAL ISSUES anyone got out of a lease without forfeiting a fortune

RENTAL ISSUES anyone got out of a lease without forfeiting a fortune

Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all
Default RENTAL ISSUES anyone got out of a lease without forfeiting a fortune

we have been harassed ,let down and intimidated from the start of our lease.To cut a long story short my mental health is beginning to suffer

So we have decided to get out as soon as we can.We have pondered how we could get out of our lease without having to pay a fortune.

We know we may lose our bond $2600 but that is the very least of our worries.

Has anyone found any way around it.?
We have pondered everything from just up and leaving to not paying the rent and getting thrown out.We are that desperate

The landlord wants to sell the property anyway
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RENTAL ISSUES anyone got out of a lease without forfeiting a fortune

A bit strange what you mention.

It usually clearly states in the rental agreement. SOmething like rent lost (duration the property is vacant) + any advertising fees.

I mean, in the current climate - how long are you expecting the property to be not rented ???

You should be ok. My friend bought a place (Sydney though) and had to break the lease. They charged him 1.5 weeks rent (~500-600$)......
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:14 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RENTAL ISSUES anyone got out of a lease without forfeiting a fortune

You will normally be responsible for the cost until the end of the lease but can also typically pay the costs of readvertising and have your repsonsibility end when a new tenant is found.

I suggest you speak to your state's rental body for advice on your obligations and rights; in QLD that would be the Residential Tenants Authority.

I have broken leases twice; first time was easy and got all bond back (only stayed 6 months on 12 month lease). Second time owner was selling, we had been there five years, ownere/new owners totally unflexible. Our lease ended around 6 Jan so we wanted to move pre-Christmas. Still had to pay all remaining rent ($1500) and some few $00 follwoing the inspection depsite leaving it in a better state than when we arrived. They pointed out that a 2m rail had not been dusted for example and that the walls were a bit grubby depsite it not having been repainted in the 5 years we were there.

Originally Posted by ellie10990
we have been harassed ,let down and intimidated from the start of our lease.To cut a long story short my mental health is beginning to suffer

The landlord wants to sell the property anyway
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jayr
You will normally be responsible for the cost until the end of the lease but can also typically pay the costs of readvertising and have your repsonsibility end when a new tenant is found.

I suggest you speak to your state's rental body for advice on your obligations and rights; in QLD that would be the Residential Tenants Authority.

I have broken leases twice; first time was easy and got all bond back (only stayed 6 months on 12 month lease). Second time owner was selling, we had been there five years, ownere/new owners totally unflexible. Our lease ended around 6 Jan so we wanted to move pre-Christmas. Still had to pay all remaining rent ($1500) and some few $00 follwoing the inspection depsite leaving it in a better state than when we arrived. They pointed out that a 2m rail had not been dusted for example and that the walls were a bit grubby depsite it not having been repainted in the 5 years we were there.
Im sure our landlords/agents will be going out of their way to find anything they can.The property was in a dreadful state when we moved in.I cried when I saw it but now they want us out so they can sell it and are being really awkward about anything that needs fixing
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:19 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

The owners of our current rental are good friends of ours. They were embarrassed about the original kitchen so have put a new one in, as well as new doors/windows and plan to put in new en-suite and outdoor area. Finally, a good landlord!

Originally Posted by ellie10990
Im sure our landlords/agents will be going out of their way to find anything they can.The property was in a dreadful state when we moved in.I cried when I saw it but now they want us out so they can sell it and are being really awkward about anything that needs fixing
Old Nov 21st 2008, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

It is usual to pay until another tenant is found. In Melbourne because of rental demands a new tenant is usually found within a week.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

I broke my lease in August (4months early) Had to pay advertising costs of $200 which was a bit of a con as they advertise in paper everyweek for rental properties. House was rented soon as i left so no extra costs incurred. I would think twice about getting kicked out etc cos it may make it very difficult to get another rental
Old Nov 21st 2008, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I have canceled two rental lease on places since in the last few years. Both times its not really been a big problem, you will have to pay until a new tenant is found and typically pay a bit towards advertising and thats all

I assume you are with a rental company but even if its private then they shouldnt have a problem. Just give them a letter in writing saying you wish to terminate you lease and have a chat with them regarding the details.

Once I cancelled when only a couple of months into a 12 month rental agreement and it wasnt a big problem, people do it all the time here.

As long as you leave the house in the same condition it was in when you arrived you wont lose the bond