Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental being sold, any advice?

Rental being sold, any advice?

Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

perthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really nice
Default Rental being sold, any advice?

Hi all

Well I have just found out my rental is being sold. I did not find out from the owner, agent or the company selling the house.....no I found out on real-estate.com!!!!!!

Now my lease was up a couple of months ago and was not renewed as there is no pool safety certificate. The agent told me that I would be given 2 months notice to leave but I would only have to give 2 weeks notice. I am actually looking to buy a house at the minute but that is not the point,

I have found out that the bank are unable to contact the owners and I am guessing it is going to be a repossession job

My question is would the 2 months notice for me to leave still apply? Who exactly is getting my rental money? And if the rental agent is not going to be renting it out again will they be as stringent with the final I section?

I am a bit annoyed that no-one has told me yet though!

Any advice great fully appreciated
Xxx

Last edited by perthhopeful; Mar 25th 2011 at 8:42 am. Reason: That should say "inspection" but iPad wouldn't let me change it!
Old Mar 25th 2011, 9:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental being sold, any advice?

We had a similar situation when renting while building: the lender to the owner repossessed and we were under IIRC 21 days notice to get out. In point of fact we were not too worried because they were very unlikely to be able to sell (as was the case) and we did our full year's rental.

Contact the bank or whatever and discuss with them - regardless of their legal rights they should be happy to keep the rental money coming in if the market is down.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by perthhopeful
Hi all

Well I have just found out my rental is being sold. I did not find out from the owner, agent or the company selling the house.....no I found out on real-estate.com!!!!!!

Now my lease was up a couple of months ago and was not renewed as there is no pool safety certificate. The agent told me that I would be given 2 months notice to leave but I would only have to give 2 weeks notice. I am actually looking to buy a house at the minute but that is not the point,

I have found out that the bank are unable to contact the owners and I am guessing it is going to be a repossession job

My question is would the 2 months notice for me to leave still apply? Who exactly is getting my rental money? And if the rental agent is not going to be renting it out again will they be as stringent with the final I section?

Xxx
be careful when you move out even if not being re-letted. My daughter moved out of a house that was to be demolished and she cleaned it but apparently not to their standard and she lost most of her bond money.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 10:33 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhopeful
Hi all

Xxx
Hi perthopeful - assume you are still in queensland despite username? If so attached may be useful to you.

http://tuq.org.au/wp/wp-content/uplo...-09-SD_NEW.pdf

They cannot force you to leave without notice, and generally that will be two months. Indeed the should tell you out of courtesy that the property is for sale, but they will have to tell you when they want to show someone round.

So in answer to your questions, 2 months, if it is a reposession then the mortgage provider, and yes the agent will probably be just as stringent with a final inspection regardless.

Hope this helps

Scotty
Old Mar 26th 2011, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

We had the same situation in perth... spent 6 months on tenterhooks not knowing whether we would be homeless next week... The week after we moved out they upped the rent by $100 per eek, relet the house, took it off the market....

no answers, but sincere sympathy

eds
x
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

As far as I know this should not affect your statutory rights to standard lease terms. You may have to fight your corner though and assert yourself.
Originally Posted by Shenni
be careful when you move out even if not being re-letted. My daughter moved out of a house that was to be demolished and she cleaned it but apparently not to their standard and she lost most of her bond money.
Did she take them to tribunal? How did that go? I'm surprised at this outcome.

Last edited by Steve2009; Mar 26th 2011 at 4:34 am.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

perthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really nice

Thanks for the advice guys, makes me even more determined to buy not rent!