Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental applications and query

Rental applications and query

Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of
Default Rental applications and query

I have found a few rentals we like in Brisbane. Can we put in multiple applications for various properties or is it a binding contract? Also, when do we pay the bond? Is it when the application is accepted or shortly before you plan to move in?

ETA: Also, is the rent negotiable if you want the property for a longer period of time? I mean something like $30 a week less or is it fairly set in stone.

Last edited by PunkDebutante; Jul 5th 2011 at 9:13 am.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice
Default Re: Rental applications and query

Hi

You can put multiple applications in, it is not binding until a Rental Agreement is signed. Bond is payable by the start of the Rental Agreement.

With regards to getting a discount - if there are multiple applications on a property, not a chance. If a property has stood empty for more than a few weeks, give it a go. We once accepted $20 off a week as our property had been empty for 8 weeks and having it empty was killing us (this was a property in regional QLD though, not Brisbane).

Cheers.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:14 pm
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
I have found a few rentals we like in Brisbane. Can we put in multiple applications for various properties or is it a binding contract? Also, when do we pay the bond? Is it when the application is accepted or shortly before you plan to move in?

ETA: Also, is the rent negotiable if you want the property for a longer period of time? I mean something like $30 a week less or is it fairly set in stone.
If you are starting out it is now become a rule that you cannot secure a rental unless you have viewed the rental first,i surgest you move over and stay a week or two in a holiday let then you can hit the ground running.
I only surgest this because we used to view rentals for migrants and secure them in our name until the people arrived then it was a simple name change on the rental papers ( we worked with 5/6 different real estate agents here), that way people had a rental to go straight into.
ps we moved from northants coming on for six years ago to brisbane
Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:02 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante

You can not apply until you have physically viewed the property first. It protects both you and the Rental Agency. Believe me, the pics look good in Domain.com and Realestate.com, but they are 'sales' pics and rarely reflect the true state of the rental OR its surroundings.
Negotiate if there is little response or viewings by all means, it worked for us once, but for a good property (meaning you LOVE it so therefore so will others) then not a chance. Our latest rental we actually offered MORE than they wanted to make sure we got it, and we did!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

+1 on the viewing comments.

I looked at a couple of shockers today. Apparently renovated bathroom = a bit of sealant round a 30 year old shower. Snazzy new kitchen = new worktop next to cooker that has not been cleaned for 30 years.

Good luck.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:07 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisneyland

I looked at a couple of shockers today. Apparently renovated bathroom = a bit of sealant round a 30 year old shower. Snazzy new kitchen = new worktop next to cooker that has not been cleaned for 30 years.

Good luck.
That'll be right!!!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

The houses have been shocking to say the least. Seems a lot of landlords seem to take the piss. Many looked flood damaged and no repairs made and still want $900 a week. Ugh! Oh well. I will put in our applications tomorrow and see what happens from there.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:55 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck.
Very, very true. The ones we looked at said 'recently repainted' and believe me the scuff marks on the wall suggested otherwise...
Another is 'new carpets' yes, maybe a year ago but not presently.
I don't know how they get away with it but they do.
I am suspicious if there is not a bathroom or kitchen pic on the advertisement too but don't let that put you off.
Definately VIEW, VIEW, VIEW!!!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paddyo
That'll be right!!!
The agent said the owner was going to put a new carpet in, then asked me what I thought. I said, "Honestly? I wouldn't keep a dog in here. The carpet is actually ok, the owner would be better spending the money on a tin of paint and a full chemical clean of the bathroom" Don't think he was expecting that.

I don't know why they do it. As a landlord you're wanting 2 things.
1) the rent paid and
2) the place looked after.

If it's a tip to begin with you'll be delaing with a whole different class of person.

@Paddyo - Hook eh? I grew up in Mortimer! Fond memories of the New Inn at Heckfield. Ahh, happy dayz.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 12:24 am
Social Grenade Thrower

The agent said the owner was going to put a new carpet in, then asked me what I thought. I said, "Honestly? I wouldn't keep a dog in here. The carpet is actually ok, the owner would be better spending the money on a tin of paint and a full chemical clean of the bathroom" Don't think he was expecting that.

I don't know why they do it. As a landlord you're wanting 2 things.
1) the rent paid and
2) the place looked after.

If it's a tip to begin with you'll be delaing with a whole different class of person.

@Paddyo - Hook eh? I grew up in Mortimer! Fond memories of the New Inn at Heckfield. Ahh, happy dayz.
Ah yes matey, nice pub on a very dangerous winding road!! Interesting times coming back from the M4 down that road on a foggy night!!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

$1500 a week and a dump

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...imba-405298117

$850 a week and a dump

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...ower-405271441

Anyone looking for 4 bedrooms and a pool anywhere near the city should expect to be looking upwards of $900 a week for something decent.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Blimey. That's borderline between being better off in a hotel. Certainly wouldn't have to find $6k for a bond and $1k for a clean before leaving. Get brekky thrown in too.

And you'd never have to kiss Ian Cuneo's arse either.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

Originally Posted by bingobob777
What was wrong with these 2 in real life? They both look nice in the pics (as they always do!). Did the house in Bulimba have a tiny kitchen?

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 7th 2011 at 12:30 pm. Reason: fixing the quote
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAMFC

What was wrong with these 2 in real life? They both look nice in the pics (as they always do!). Did the house in Bulimba have a tiny kitchen?
They look nice??

I just picked two off the internet at random, not seen any of them and I wouldn't go and see any of them.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 7th 2011 at 12:31 pm. Reason: fixing the quote
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bingobob777
They look nice??

I just picked two off the internet at random, not seen any of them and I wouldn't go and see any of them.
Well, they are character homes and they look well-kept (not that I would ever pay that much to rent a house). I just wondered why you thought they were dumps?

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 7th 2011 at 12:31 pm. Reason: fixing the quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.