Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

renewing passports

renewing passports

Old Apr 11th 2008, 3:10 am
Just Joined

holmes in oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default renewing passports

can anyone help ! how do i renew my british passport in oz as i have only been here 6 months and i do not know anybody for 2 years to counter sign my photos. thanks
Old Apr 11th 2008, 3:21 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: renewing passports

Not sure how it works for UK passports but we had the same problem with our Canadian ones.

There was a form that we had to take to a JP or a solicitor to fill out, plus they were able to sign our photos. This was the only option for us because we had also just arrived in the country.

So maybe there is something similar that you can do.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 4:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holmes in oz
can anyone help ! how do i renew my british passport in oz as i have only been here 6 months and i do not know anybody for 2 years to counter sign my photos. thanks
Get the person signing to cross out the 2 years and write in whatever time period applies instead. They will probably be ok with that.

Most British missions do not need any countersignature for straightforward renewals so if they refuse your application for that reason it will be unreasonably and you will then need to make a formal complaint to the Foreign Office in London.

Hopefully you made the effort to stay on the electoral roll, if so your MP may be able to assist in making a complaint.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Get the person signing to cross out the 2 years and write in whatever time period applies instead. They will probably be ok with that.

Most British missions do not need any countersignature for straightforward renewals so if they refuse your application for that reason it will be unreasonably and you will then need to make a formal complaint to the Foreign Office in London.

Hopefully you made the effort to stay on the electoral roll, if so your MP may be able to assist in making a complaint.
JAJ your comment about the countersignature is interesting - I hope it is right because I was rather anxious that my boss may not have been "professional" enough for their criteria. She put her degree quals in so hopefully they will consider her a person of sound mind (well, perhaps not that!).

Sorry to hijack there.