Reload this Page >

Renewing Passports.

Renewing Passports.

Old Jun 26th 2003, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

stotty is on a distinguished road
Default Renewing Passports.

OK, so I'm thinking ahead a bit but...

Got my STNI visa (for South Australia) recently, due to go out January 2004. British passport runs out June 2005, visa expires April 2008. So..

Can I renew my British passport while I'm in Adelaide? Will I have to send it back to UK for this?

Will the new passport have my visa in it, or do I have to send it to DIMIA or some other place to get a copy put in it?

Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve.
Old Jun 26th 2003, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Renewed my passport while I was in Auckland. Had to send it down to the embassy in Wellington, but it came back with the same visa that the old passport had.

I assume they do the same in Australia.
Old Jun 27th 2003, 5:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Think you have to send it to the High Commission in Canberra - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong?
Old Jun 27th 2003, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renewing Passports.

Originally posted by stotty
OK, so I'm thinking ahead a bit but...

Got my STNI visa (for South Australia) recently, due to go out January 2004. British passport runs out June 2005, visa expires April 2008. So..

Can I renew my British passport while I'm in Adelaide? Will I have to send it back to UK for this?

Will the new passport have my visa in it, or do I have to send it to DIMIA or some other place to get a copy put in it?

Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve.
You send it to the British Consulate in Canberra

http://www.uk.emb.gov.au/default2.htm

Make sure all the documentation is correct and signed (with recent photos, etc) and it only takes a couple of weeks.

They'll return the old passport with your visa to you. However, the corner of the passport will clipped off. To travel you'll need both the old and new passport.

AndyH.

P.S. Good portal at
http://www.britaus.net/
Old Jun 27th 2003, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by jah4reds
They'll return the old passport with your visa to you. However, the corner of the passport will clipped off. To travel you'll need both the old and new passport.

AndyH.
Don't quite understand why you need both passports to travel as the visa was replaced in my new English passport.

Don't think I've used my new English passport since I got it renewed, as I came to Oz on my NZ Passport.
Old Jun 27th 2003, 6:17 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Don't quite understand why you need both passports to travel as the visa was replaced in my new English passport.

Don't think I've used my new English passport since I got it renewed, as I came to Oz on my NZ Passport.
It probably depends on the type of visa you have - my visa is stuck solid to one of the pages of my passport - ie I doubt very much if it could be removed and put in a new passport unless I tried to steam it off.

Surely - you could just go into the immigration centres here and get them to put a another visa in your new passport.

cheers
Old Jun 27th 2003, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Ceri
It probably depends on the type of visa you have - my visa is stuck solid to one of the pages of my passport - ie I doubt very much if it could be removed and put in a new passport unless I tried to steam it off.

Surely - you could just go into the immigration centres here and get them to put a another visa in your new passport.

cheers
In NZ the passport came back from the British embassy in Wellington, with another PR visa in it as well as the old one in my old passport. Don't know if they sent it to NZ gov for this or had ability to do it themselves.

I seem to remember they plastered invalid over every page of my old passport.
Old Jun 27th 2003, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by jah4reds
This is what they did to my and my better half's passport. The resident visa stayed in the old passports.

Maybe the arrangement between Aus and NZ is more flexible so they can move the visas around more easily.

Anyway, we have Oz passports now - so we don't need to use the resident visa. We now travel with 2 different passports - the Aus and UK one when we travel to the UK, but only the Oz one if we travel to NZ.

AndyH.
Old Jun 27th 2003, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

stotty is on a distinguished road

Thanks people - much appreciated

Steve.