Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renew passport in Oz

Renew passport in Oz

Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all
Default Renew passport in Oz

Hi Guys,
My OH passport will run out in a few months. Whats the process of getting a renewed passport her in Oz ? We're in Queensland, Gold Coast.
Do we have to send it off somewhere or go somewhere with it , and will he have the visa placed in the new one ?
Thanks Sunbound
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:52 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renew passport in Oz

I did this myself but am slightly sketchy on the detail.

Look up the British High Commission in Canberra. They are the largets UK passport issuer outside the UK. They should ahve formes to fill in to apply for a new passport, can't remember if you have to send the old one to them but probably.

It will cost $268 to get new adult passport. Once they issue it you can take to a DIAC office and ask for a new sticker. Not sure if there is DIAC on GC but there is one in BNE.

Start here:

http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/p...g-in-australia

Originally Posted by Sunbound
Hi Guys,
My OH passport will run out in a few months. Whats the process of getting a renewed passport her in Oz ? We're in Queensland, Gold Coast.
Do we have to send it off somewhere or go somewhere with it , and will he have the visa placed in the new one ?
Thanks Sunbound
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jayr
I did this myself but am slightly sketchy on the detail.

Look up the British High Commission in Canberra. They are the largets UK passport issuer outside the UK. They should ahve formes to fill in to apply for a new passport, can't remember if you have to send the old one to them but probably.

It will cost $268 to get new adult passport. Once they issue it you can take to a DIAC office and ask for a new sticker. Not sure if there is DIAC on GC but there is one in BNE.

Start here:

Thanks Jayr I'll make a start on that asap. Expensive though isn't it ?
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunbound
Thanks Jayr I'll make a start on that asap. Expensive though isn't it ?
At least the visa sticker is free
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
At least the visa sticker is free
After paying $268 i'd want a gold one !!!
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
I Not sure if there is DIAC on GC but there is one in BNE.

Start here:

The DIAC office here is in Southport - 72 Nerang Street - side entrance and up the stairs
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

yogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the rough

Phew, what a relief to hear this! I sent off for DD to renew her passport, specifying that her Oz visa will need to be transferred. Anyway, so the new passport comes back and NO VISA! To top it, we are flying to Singapore in 3 weeks! I thought I would have to send the passport back to Cnaberra and it would take another 2 weeks. So now I'll just go to DIAC in Perth and hopefully it will be sorted in 1 day! Thanks all, what would be do without this site, it is my first reference point!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 9:10 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yogita_dabasia
Phew, what a relief to hear this! I sent off for DD to renew her passport, specifying that her Oz visa will need to be transferred. Anyway, so the new passport comes back and NO VISA! To top it, we are flying to Singapore in 3 weeks! I thought I would have to send the passport back to Cnaberra and it would take another 2 weeks. So now I'll just go to DIAC in Perth and hopefully it will be sorted in 1 day! Thanks all, what would be do without this site, it is my first reference point!
The fact that you have an Oz visa is of no interest to another country when they renew a passport, and the British High Commission certainly has no authority to "transfer" an Oz visa into a new passport. I may be wrong (this has been known, incredible though it might seem <g>) but I think that presenting the old passport with a current visa as well as the new one is acceptable.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 10:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
The fact that you have an Oz visa is of no interest to another country when they renew a passport, and the British High Commission certainly has no authority to "transfer" an Oz visa into a new passport. I may be wrong (this has been known, incredible though it might seem <g>) but I think that presenting the old passport with a current visa as well as the new one is acceptable.
Yes it is, may cause some delays at check in but certainly acceptable
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:53 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

I have three of us needing to renew passports this year, thats nearly $1000!! Woow, thats alot of money!

What is the score if I dont renew them now and left it and then decided in a couple of years that I did want to get a british passport again??

I know it seems a silly thing to do and seems like will just have to fork out the cash but just wondered whats the score if we dont!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 11:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
I have three of us needing to renew passports this year, thats nearly $1000!! Woow, thats alot of money!

What is the score if I dont renew them now and left it and then decided in a couple of years that I did want to get a british passport again??

I know it seems a silly thing to do and seems like will just have to fork out the cash but just wondered whats the score if we dont!
Are you Australian citizens??
Old Mar 30th 2009, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

yogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the roughyogita_dabasia is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
Can anyone confirm whether or not DIAC charge for the sticker transfer? Just called the general enquires number who advise that for “re-evidencing”, there is a charge of $60!
Old Mar 30th 2009, 3:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Can anyone confirm whether or not DIAC charge for the sticker transfer? Just called the general enquires number who advise that for “re-evidencing”, there is a charge of $60!
Wrong advice!

Unless things have changed recently, there is no charge to re-stamp a visa unless it is a Resident Return Visa (subclass 155 or 157).

The helpline appears to get this one wrong all the time.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 3:05 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
As JAJ said it's free.

We had ours done last year in my daughters new passport. Totally free and didn't need an appointment. Just walked in, waited about 20 minutes or so and it took about 2 minutes to do.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Great news! Glad I don’t need to fork out another $60 on top of the almost $200 its cost for the passport and postage costs! I’ll pop in just before the lunch hour and get it done.

Thanks again everyone, fellow BE members never let me down!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.