Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Removals and the INSURANCE

Removals and the INSURANCE

Old Jan 9th 2003, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Tambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant future
Default Removals and the INSURANCE

We are using John Mason to move our house contents to Perth

Is it worth taking the insurance - it will cost us £600 to insure all our contents

or shall we only insure the more delicate items

Any sensible comments appreciated
Old Jan 10th 2003, 6:36 am
Magnetic Member

magnetman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Removals and the INSURANCE

Originally posted by Tambo
We are using John Mason to move our house contents to Perth

Is it worth taking the insurance - it will cost us £600 to insure all our contents

or shall we only insure the more delicate items

Any sensible comments appreciated
I also checked this out with our movers Crown. The quotes were 3% but if you took a 'volume' quote rather than an inventory quote they assumed something like $2.5k per cu.m which values a 40' container somewhere over 100K!
Needless to say we have prepared an inventory. However, we were told that if we only insure say 50% of our contents then the insurance would only pay 50% of any single item should it be broken/go missing etc.
Old Jan 10th 2003, 6:39 am
Magnetic Member

Default Re: Removals and the INSURANCE

Originally posted by magnetman
I also checked this out with our movers Crown. The quotes were 3% but if you took a 'volume' quote rather than an inventory quote they assumed something like $2.5k per cu.m which values a 40' container somewhere over 100K!
Needless to say we have prepared an inventory. However, we were told that if we only insure say 50% of our contents then the insurance would only pay 50% of any single item should it be broken/go missing etc.
I should have added that in the current middle east political situation we are going to stump up. Would be just our luck if it was OUR container ship that ran into a stray missile......
Old Jan 11th 2003, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Well heres a sore point for us! at the moment we have just spent £750 in legal fees to get back the value of our goods we lost. We took out marine insurance - ie the insurance cover for the goods whilst they were in the container - but our goods were stolen from the shipping company's warehouse before they were loaded so our marine insurance is useless.

Then we found out that the shipping company's warehouse insurance refused to pay out as they were still dealing with a claim from a month prior to our loss (we had no idea of this even though we asked if they had had any previous thefts). We are now suing the shipping company for the total value of the goods (it was totally due to their negligence of not getting a container sorted in time resulting in them having to store our stuff in their warehouse) which was written on the inventory for the marine insurance, only thing is we didn't put the true value of the goods on this as we were trying to keep down the costs of the insurance (based on the value of goods) also how can you put a price on certain things like baby photos or things bought for you when you were a kid, worthless but irreplaceable, you don't really expect to have stuff stolen either, maybe the odd thing to get broken but not a total loss!

So my advice for you is to take out good insurance, and value things honestly as I wouldn't like the same thing to happen to anyone as happened to us! By the way, we went with this shipping company as it was recommended to us by a good friend!

Mandy
Old Jan 11th 2003, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

hollywood110 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
Well heres a sore point for us! at the moment we have just spent £750 in legal fees to get back the value of our goods we lost. We took out marine insurance - ie the insurance cover for the goods whilst they were in the container - but our goods were stolen from the shipping company's warehouse before they were loaded so our marine insurance is useless.

Then we found out that the shipping company's warehouse insurance refused to pay out as they were still dealing with a claim from a month prior to our loss (we had no idea of this even though we asked if they had had any previous thefts). We are now suing the shipping company for the total value of the goods (it was totally due to their negligence of not getting a container sorted in time resulting in them having to store our stuff in their warehouse) which was written on the inventory for the marine insurance, only thing is we didn't put the true value of the goods on this as we were trying to keep down the costs of the insurance (based on the value of goods) also how can you put a price on certain things like baby photos or things bought for you when you were a kid, worthless but irreplaceable, you don't really expect to have stuff stolen either, maybe the odd thing to get broken but not a total loss!

So my advice for you is to take out good insurance, and value things honestly as I wouldn't like the same thing to happen to anyone as happened to us! By the way, we went with this shipping company as it was recommended to us by a good friend!

Mandy
Hi Mandy

Please let us know which company this was.

Thanks Sharon x
Old Jan 11th 2003, 7:11 am
Magnetic Member

Originally posted by Mandy Bale

Mandy
Thanks for that - sorry about your bad luck. I will check what the insurance covers. I had assumed it covered from when it was taken from our house to when it was delivered to our new house in Aus but it will certainly be worth clarifying this