Remberence Day

Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of
Default Remberence Day

Hi Folks,

I've just finished watching the Rememberence Day Parade on TV, which was very moving, as always. These people fought to give us our freedom, they had no choice, 8 million soldiers went to war during the 1st and 2nd World Wars, and are currently doing it in Iraq and Afghanistan!

I think it is very important that the young never forget the sacrifices made.

I was wondering how this day was commemorated in Australia?

Good Luck,

Crocodileseamus
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:27 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Remberence Day

Originally Posted by crocodileseamus
Hi Folks,

I've just finished watching the Rememberence Day Parade on TV, which was very moving, as always. These people fought to give us our freedom, they had no choice, 8 million soldiers went to war during the 1st and 2nd World Wars, and are currently doing it in Iraq and Afghanistan!

I think it is very important that the young never forget the sacrifices made.

Good Luck,

Crocodileseamus
We had a service here in Yeppoon at the Cenotaph...laid floral tributes etc....traffic stopped on the roads at 11am very moving as it should be
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:27 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Although important, Remembrance day doesn't have the impact that ANZAC day does here in Aus.
But even so, to those who care, poppies etc is the way to go.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 1:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Remberence Day

Originally Posted by crocodileseamus
The ABC has a good report on nationwide Remembrance Day tributes; click here to read it.

As TiddlyPom said, RD doesn't have the same impact as ANZAC Day in Australia. Just wait until the 25th of April next year, and see what happens.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Hi,

Thanks for that.

It is important that we remember people we did not even know, who gave the ultimate sacrifice for us,

Croc
Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

Just back from our local service and absolutely frozen. But better than reading your name being on the memorial
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Hubby and his mate went to the rememberance service here. Quite a low key event. Couldnt get hold of any poppies anywhere. Then they were invited back to the RSL club for free lunch and drinks. The RSL certainly knows how to look after its ex service men. They certainly had a good time.

Angela
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

More people turned out for a global warming rally than remeberance day tributes, terrible
Old Nov 12th 2007, 5:19 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest, I was very disappointed with the rememberance day shenanigans over here!

Been trying to get a poppy for weeks - could I???? Church across road from us (where we can hear every word of the service) didn't even mentioned the fallen

Didn't notice any difference over here, was just a normal Sunday (well, almost normal, apart from my Tindaloo after effects from Saturday night!)
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
To be honest, I was very disappointed with the rememberance day shenanigans over here!

Been trying to get a poppy for weeks - could I???? Church across road from us (where we can hear every word of the service) didn't even mentioned the fallen

Didn't notice any difference over here, was just a normal Sunday (well, almost normal, apart from my Tindaloo after effects from Saturday night!)
Must say i didnt notice anything either ! But then again i didn't surface til 12 from the vodka effects when i got home !
Old Nov 12th 2007, 10:56 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

my 6 year old watched the whole thing AND did the 2 min silence(apart from where she was telling the boy to be quiet)! bless her she's only 6