Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Relocation Packages..Advice Needed Please!

Relocation Packages..Advice Needed Please!

Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

SarahJane is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Relocation Packages..Advice Needed Please!

Hello

I have just received my contract for a job in Sydney and whilst the company are paying relocation and visa cost (they are sponsoring me so I'll get a 4yr business visa), there is a clause stating that if I leave the company within 12months I have to repay all these costs? Does anyone else have experience of this and if so is this fairly standard procedure? I would presume it is but thought I'd check with all those more knowledgeable on such things?!
Also, does anyone know whether in such cases my visa would be linked to the company, i.e. if I left them I would have to leave Australia or are there ways around this?
All advice appreciated..many thanks
Old Jul 29th 2005, 4:50 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation Packages..Advice Needed Please!

Hi Sarahjane
My husband has a similar contract and he has to pay back all expenses if he leaves within the first year and half back if he leaves in the second year. However, if he leaves or looses his job he then has 28 days to find another compnay to sponser him.
We are planning on appying for PR just in case this situation arrives.
Hope this helps

Tracey
Old Jul 29th 2005, 5:05 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey brien
Hi Sarahjane
My husband has a similar contract and he has to pay back all expenses if he leaves within the first year and half back if he leaves in the second year. However, if he leaves or looses his job he then has 28 days to find another compnay to sponser him.
We are planning on appying for PR just in case this situation arrives.
Hope this helps

Tracey
I obviously had a crap deal, my company had me signed up for four years! In the first year I had to pay back 100% after that I had a sliding scale for the next three years. We were given a hell of lot though, total benefit was around 10k pounds, not counting the personal support and the benefit of having a job. Just make sure your job salary is the going rate for the area and company.

I was with the company on a 457, we managed our PR personally after 1 year here, and I left the company after 3 years (they didn't ask for the 25%, but that might have been because we had been bought out by Oracle).

In terms of the money we got, even making sure we had it saved to pay back (we didn't) it could have worked out as a very effective loan.

As for leaving the country, yes 28 days without a sponsor as Tracey states - also read the thread at the start of this page - it could be frightening!

Cheers
Old Jul 29th 2005, 5:43 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahJane
Hello

I have just received my contract for a job in Sydney and whilst the company are paying relocation and visa cost (they are sponsoring me so I'll get a 4yr business visa), there is a clause stating that if I leave the company within 12months I have to repay all these costs? Does anyone else have experience of this and if so is this fairly standard procedure? I would presume it is but thought I'd check with all those more knowledgeable on such things?!
Also, does anyone know whether in such cases my visa would be linked to the company, i.e. if I left them I would have to leave Australia or are there ways around this?
All advice appreciated..many thanks
We're also going out on a 457 Visa under exactly the same conditions. When we arrive however the company are happy to sponsor us for PR which would then release us from having to stay with the company - it would still mean that if we left within the first two years we would have to repay a percentage of the costs though. Is the company who are sponsoring you also happy to sponsor for the PR when you arrive?