Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Relocation package: NZ to Sydney

Relocation package: NZ to Sydney

Old Oct 9th 2012, 11:25 am
Just Joined

LuckyLady2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation package: NZ to Sydney

Hi there, I know this is a UK expat forum but hoping there are some ex-kiwi expats lurking about who might be able to help me.

I'm interviewing for a job that would relocate me from NZ to Sydney. I have a family - husband and two primary school age children - who would come with me. We are at the stage where they will shortly let me know what relocation package they will offer the successful candidate. I'd like to be a bit prepared when I go into the discussion with some idea of what it will cost so that I can tell if its a reasonable offer at the time.

If anyone has any advice on the cost of shipping (I'm assuming we will take essential items like favourite clothes, books, toys, some newer furniture etc), temporary accommodation (eg 1 month in fully furnished apartment), perhaps a relocation consultant to help with finding schools and a home, and relocating a small dog, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I know it's a bit of an open ended question so am not expecting anyone to do the leg work for me, but if anyone has done a similar move recently you might be able to impart some wisdom.

Many thanks.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 1:25 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation package: NZ to Sydney

When we came over from NZ about 5 years ago the shipping was around 11-12k for a 40 foot container. We shopped around for quotes but they all came in around the same. We've done enough moves now to know the shipping is only as good as the crews that show up on the day and most of the work is sub-contracted anyway so you take pot luck. Most companies don't pay the full cost of shipping but you may strike lucky.

Shipping insurance, 4-6 weeks rent paid for a furnished apartment, visa costs, financial support and sponsorship for going for PR, plane tickets, first night in a hotel, car hire for a few days. Try for a relocation consultant but TBH I'd rather do that myself than trust a third party to be impartial when making recommendations.

What else? maybe school uniforms, text books etc. and subsidised health care premiums.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, very helpful. Probably the biggest dilemma will be how much stuff to ship, so I think their offer on that area will help us decide.

Cheers.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 3:13 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

and if theres an emirates flight from nz to oz u get more baggage allowance.
Old Oct 10th 2012, 3:25 am
Just Joined

They do fly to NZ, in fact Emirates bring their aircraft to Auckland rather than leave them in Sydney because its cheaper to fly an empty plane across the Tasman than park it at Sydney airport! Somehow, that doesn't translate into cheaper airfares though
Old Oct 10th 2012, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we've ping-ponged across the Tasman a couple of times now. Went back to Christchurch 3years ago with a 40ft container and came back to Melbourne this year with a small airfreight container. Tbh how much you ship is entirely up to you of course, but it depends how attached you are to your stuff and whether you can be bothered. we've mostly bought off eBay since coming back this time but that's not for everyone.

Our sea freight container going Melb-Chch in 2008 was around $11,000 if that helps, but depends where you're coming from.

Here's hoping the company comes up with a fab package. Good luck!
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, will keep you posted!
Old Oct 13th 2012, 1:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you re NZ citizens, then you should be aware that while you should (normally) get a visa allowing you to live/work/study in Australia, you won't get all the benefits of permanent residence unless you apply for the necessary permanent visa.

And you have to qualify for that visa - not every NZ citizen can get one.

Unless by some chance you're treated as an "eligible" NZ citizen:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1162.pdf

Also consider that if you get permanent residence, you won't be able to get a tax exemption on certain overseas income, but this may not be important. Most NZ citizens in Australia who can get permanent resident status should claim it as soon as possible.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LuckyLady2012
Hi there, I know this is a UK expat forum but hoping there are some ex-kiwi expats lurking about who might be able to help me.

I'm interviewing for a job that would relocate me from NZ to Sydney. I have a family - husband and two primary school age children - who would come with me. We are at the stage where they will shortly let me know what relocation package they will offer the successful candidate. I'd like to be a bit prepared when I go into the discussion with some idea of what it will cost so that I can tell if its a reasonable offer at the time.

If anyone has any advice on the cost of shipping (I'm assuming we will take essential items like favourite clothes, books, toys, some newer furniture etc), temporary accommodation (eg 1 month in fully furnished apartment), perhaps a relocation consultant to help with finding schools and a home, and relocating a small dog, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I know it's a bit of an open ended question so am not expecting anyone to do the leg work for me, but if anyone has done a similar move recently you might be able to impart some wisdom.

Many thanks.
When I was offered a job in Brisbane, the original offer didnt specify relocation allowances. I asked about an allowance and the company offered 4 weeks' accommodation and $5000 towards expenses (shipping, flights etc)
Old Oct 13th 2012, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks JAJ, thats really helpful. I've found it quite hard to find detailed information about the status of Kiwi's in Australia, beyond the obvious that we get a special category visa on arrival, can work and stay as long as we like, and don't have to pay international school fees. I can't really work out how to become a PR, when I look at the DIAC website visa selector and answer the questions it just defaults to telling me about the SCV which I already know about.

No, I'm not eligible for any of those categories, so I'll be on the same footing as any other Kiwi moving over now. Not too worried about the overseas income ;-)

Thats interesting Newkiwi, wouldn't cover all your expenses I imagine, especially if you have children. Hopefully there is a bit more on the table with this job!
Old Oct 13th 2012, 3:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JAJ, thats really helpful. I've found it quite hard to find detailed information about the status of Kiwi's in Australia, beyond the obvious that we get a special category visa on arrival, can work and stay as long as we like, and don't have to pay international school fees.
And you're eligible for Medicare upon becoming resident.

You also have to get a state/territory driving license within 3 months of moving to that jurisdiction. Most, if not all, allow an NZ licence to be swapped for a local one.

One thing you need to be aware of is that if you're not PR and you have a child born in Australia, the child will not automatically be an Australian citizen by birth. However, if the child is still living in Australia at 10th birthday, and has not already become an Australian citizen some other way, child automatically becomes Australian on that date. This applies regardless of what visa the child has.

I can't really work out how to become a PR, when I look at the DIAC website visa selector and answer the questions it just defaults to telling me about the SCV which I already know about.
The SCV is the default, however New Zealand citizens can apply for any of the other permanent visas if they qualify. So you could look at the skilled visas (including state nomination). Alternatively - if you will be working for an Australian employer, take a look at the employer nominated visas.

To get a skilled or employer based visa, you have to have an occupation that meets the requirements. Many NZ citizens don't qualify. But if you do, and you want to become a permanent resident (which most people planning to remain in Australia do, unless you really want to use the overseas income tax concessions) then you should take any opportunity to become a permanent resident while it is available.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Thanks JAJ, thats really helpful. I've found it quite hard to find detailed information about the status of Kiwi's in Australia, beyond the obvious that we get a special category visa on arrival, can work and stay as long as we like, and don't have to pay international school fees. I can't really work out how to become a PR, when I look at the DIAC website visa selector and answer the questions it just defaults to telling me about the SCV which I already know about.

No, I'm not eligible for any of those categories, so I'll be on the same footing as any other Kiwi moving over now. Not too worried about the overseas income ;-)

Thats interesting Newkiwi, wouldn't cover all your expenses I imagine, especially if you have children. Hopefully there is a bit more on the table with this job!
It was enough, we didn't have kids and the move was about 3.5 k or so. We didn't bring over that much we sold dome of our old dodge couches on trademe and bought new ones here. Good luck with the new job
Old Oct 14th 2012, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newkiwi
It was enough, we didn't have kids and the move was about 3.5 k or so. We didn't bring over that much we sold dome of our old dodge couches on trademe and bought new ones here. Good luck with the new job
Thanks

And thanks JAJ, thats really helpful.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 8:02 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

We moved as NZ citizens - being an NZ citizen in Australia is almost as good as being PR on a day to day basis but you are a grey area for some things - for instance some credit checks etc ask if you have citizenship or PR. As an NZ citizen you don't have either, so you have to tick "no" and you get declined mortgages, credit cards etc. Some providers have an "NZ citizen" option but not all. We found our choice of mortgage providers was significantly reduced by not having PR, even the bank we had all our savings with refused us as it was black and white for them - either you had PR or you didn't.

So as JAJ says, get PR as soon as you can if you are elegible.

BB