Reload this Page >

Relocating buddy... September time...Nottingham

Relocating buddy... September time...Nottingham

Old Jan 19th 2013, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

choley555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating buddy... September time...Nottingham

Hello!

I'm 25 live in nottingham but originally from Liverpool. I moved away from home as a test run for oz. It's gone well n i know i can do it but the thought of going alone makes me so anxious n not want to go.

I'm looking for someone who is look oz around September time. I want to do it more than anything! But I'm scared.

I'm a mental health nurse by trade so ill have no trouble getting a job. I'm just about ready to send my visa off to the Australian equivalent to the NMC!

Anyone want to help me!
Old Jan 19th 2013, 4:41 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating buddy... September time...Nottingham

Not too sure how the fact that you've been OK living in Nottingham away from your family in Liverpool is going to help when you move the other side of the world. A lot of difference from being a short train or car journey away to being a 24 hour flight away.

I wish you luck in your new venture.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs

Not too sure how the fact that you've been OK living in Nottingham away from your family in Liverpool is going to help when you move the other side of the world. A lot of difference from being a short train or car journey away to being a 24 hour flight away.

Obviously. That was a big thing for me! I've managed that and not got home sick. That is why I've posted on here to find encouragement and maybe someone else is in the same boat as me?

Thanks for your reply
Old Jan 19th 2013, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

stuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs

If you're not sure how you'll cope not living in the pockets of your family it sounds pretty sensible to me to see how you tollerate living in a different area of the UK first. Whilst Aus is much further away and brings new challenges it's great that you've built up some confidence in your own sense of independence. I can totally see how moving to Nottingham has been of help to you!

I made the move out here on my own over 2 years ago now. An easy way to get involved in some social activities and to help build up friendships on this side of the world is meetup.com. I'd say check out what groups are in the area you're moving too, there are loads of different ones, hopefully you'll find plenty of events to keep you busy when you first get here.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stuie83
If you're not sure how you'll cope not living in the pockets of your family it sounds pretty sensible to me to see how you tollerate living in a different area of the UK first. Whilst Aus is much further away and brings new challenges it's great that you've built up some confidence in your own sense of independence. I can totally see how moving to Nottingham has been of help to you!

I made the move out here on my own over 2 years ago now. An easy way to get involved in some social activities and to help build up friendships on this side of the world is meetup.com. I'd say check out what groups are in the area you're moving too, there are loads of different ones, hopefully you'll find plenty of events to keep you busy when you first get here.
Hey
how do you find it? Was it the best decision you ever made? I know it will be the best decision I ever make. .. It's just making it. Another thing is im an only child and i can't imagine anything happening to them and me being on the other side of the world.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check that website out.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

stuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved I hoped I would love it and it would all work out for the best, but I really felt ambivalent and told myself 'it might not be all that' and if it's not I'll return to the UK and do x,y and z with my life. I think tollerating the fact that it might not be great and it might not work out for me really helped.

After months of excitement when the day came to actually leave and I saw my dad looking emotionally crippled and as white as a ghost as he waved me off, I felt sick to the stomach and cried my eyes out and that fit nicely into the 'it might not be all that box'. My mum was also appropriately upset when I left but she cries about anything, so that was all good.

Equally when I had teething trouble with work, and was being expected to work beyond the limitations on my AHPRA registration, I found that quite unpleasant and kicked up a bit of a fuss to get it sorted out. That fit nicely into the 'it might not be all that box too'.

Hmmm... Please be aware any dealings you have with AHPRA will not fill you with confidence and a sense that moving to Australia is the best decision you ever made.

Anyhow 2+ years down the line I love it and I'd cry if I had to go back to the UK and live! I do however wonder what the future holds for me emotionally in 15 / 20 years time when both parents will be in their 70s. Perhaps I should get them to apply for a parent visa now, the waiting list is currently around 15 years! It could potentially save $50,000 a piece on the parent contributory visa if I did end up successfully moving them out here.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Oh so you can move them out there? That's the first thing I'll be doing!! But if you get married or got citizenship they can come out automatically can't they?

So i take it your a nurse? I hear they are very behind in oz in their way of work especially in regards to mental health. I've heard a lot of British nurses getting so frustrated about the fact, packing up and coming home. But i suppose the money's worth it. The less working hours are worth it and the oz way of life is worth it??? Right?
?
Well I think you are incredibly brave to go it alone! I think I will be exactly the same. I see myself getting to the airport being waved off then running back through refusing to go! Apart from being alone I hate flying. My friends would love to go but they won't for some reason they have loser boyfriends or other excuses keeping them here!
Old Jan 19th 2013, 9:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by choley555
Oh so you can move them out there? That's the first thing I'll be doing!! But if you get married or got citizenship they can come out automatically can't they?
No, there is no way that parents can come automatically - they need to qualify for a visa themseves.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Is it up to you? What if they are happy and settled with their lives and don't want to move. And no it is not automatic and it would cost something like $90k for parent visas for them.

The less working hours are worth it and the oz way of life is worth it??? Right?
Are you sure you would be working less hours? I have never heard that and I would be surprised if the annual leave entitlements were anything like as generous as in UK. Way of life is all down to you, wherever you live. You don't get a different way of life thrust upon you the minute you get off the plane.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 3:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Working less hours I worked 8 hours per day, 5 days a week before emigrating. Now it's closer to 10 hour days with stuff on weekends. The old man has cut down recently to 10 from 12 hours per day. At least his commute here is shorter.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

I'm 25 live in nottingham but originally from Liverpool. I moved away from home as a test run for oz. It's gone well n i know i can do it but the thought of going alone makes me so anxious n not want to go.

I'm looking for someone who is look oz around September time. I want to do it more than anything! But I'm scared.

I'm a mental health nurse by trade so ill have no trouble getting a job. I'm just about ready to send my visa off to the Australian equivalent to the NMC!

Anyone want to help me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ZLr9ePuj8
Old Jan 20th 2013, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

mummy2three is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Choley,

I wish I was emigrating in September but unfortunately Im looking at June/July 2015.

Strangely enough I moved from Blackpool to Nottingham as a trial run for me and my family to see if we could cope without family support before a move to Australia. I am 30 years old AND I am training to be a Mental Health Nurse in Nottingham!!!

How bizzare.

Let me know how you get on and what Visa route you have taken. Im due to qualify next September and wont have much experience so Im looking at a RSMS Visa. Would ideally like PR and hoping to emigrate to the Gold Coast.

So far I seem to be the only nurse on my course with the aim to emigrating but Im slowly talking others round with my non-stop Australia talk!
Old Jan 20th 2013, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Wow how strange is that.. I've been qualified since September and I'm currently working in a private medium secure optical. From what I can gather you will be snapped up out there. Be already had job offers lined up. But September is when I will have a years experience and it will give me a few months to mental prepare for it.

I think it will be amazing. It's got to be better than here for nurses. Shame you wast coming sooner we could have been buddies. I'm planning to go for 12-18 months. Then I'll see what happens like I say I've got my mum and dad to consider and I'm terrified of snakes. Lol so I think there will be a limit n how long I have to check my bed and shoes for for nasty creepy crawlers for.

I've had a few friends who have gone, not nurses just on a years working holiday visa and they absolutely love it.