Rego Time

Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rego Time

$215 for the rego and 336.60 for the CTP. Details are for NSW and both payments can be made online. That with an impending service is going to scupper my financial hopes for a new surfboard for the next couple of months.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rego Time

Originally posted by bondipom
That with an impending service is going to scupper my financial hopes for a new surfboard for the next couple of months.
Credit card
Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:11 am
WBB

$215 for the rego and 336.60 for the CTP. Details are for NSW and both payments can be made online. That with an impending service is going to scupper my financial hopes for a new surfboard for the next couple of months.

so how does this rego thing work then ?

does a rego insure any driver to drive the car it is displayed in third party?

Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:16 am

Originally posted by welshboybilly

For NSW rego is the car tax. CTP is compulsory third party insurance and is payable to a car insurance company. You pay the CTP and the insurer updates the RTAs computers. I can then go on the RTA website and pay for my rego.

The RTA consider me responsible so they post me the equivalent of a tax disk in advance. The theory is(which in my case will work) the driver will pay in advance to keep the ease of paying online or by phone.

For details go to www.rta.nsw.gov.au and www.nrma.com.au .
Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by welshboybilly

No rego is public liability insurance and road tax. We now have seperate third party policies on both our cars in the event we crash into someone.

However I know people who have crashed with just rego and have ended up paying the victims insurance company £100-/month for years...
Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:19 am
WBB

cheers, i guess i better take a look at those links.

Old Jan 7th 2004, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by evorobin
No rego is public liability insurance and road tax. We now have seperate third party policies on both our cars in the event we crash into someone.

However I know people who have crashed with just rego and have ended up paying the victims insurance company £100-/month for years...
I think people are wondering if in your mate's case was he driving legally before the crash? I think the answer is yes, so there is a problem with recovering crash damage costs if both people involved have only the minimum insurance cover which - in QLD at least - is designed only to cover injuries to people you crash into (bear in mind that I am not a lawyer.)

We had that situation. We bought third party damage insurance to avoid your friend's situation if we had a bump. In fact someone shunted us from behind and he had no cover. He was an "Aussie Battler" (in a ute of course) and in the end he did get our old Kingswood fixed (by doing a deal for some signwriting in lieu of cash) to the garage. It was all irritating and vexing, but surprisingly civilised and I got the guy some beers after it was all finished.

I prefer the compulsory third party damage cover in the British system for insurance though. In theory if the guy who hits you doesn't have any cover here he gets in trouble with he law. Hopefully this means the vast majority of people here drive insured. I don't know anyone who's been affected by an uninsured driver here ... I'd be interested to know if the reality is that you'd have to bring a private action against the guy who hit you and/or if the police would treat it as a serious crime or not.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 10:11 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by evorobin

I thought CTP was the public liability insurance bit and the rego was the road tax bit?

Mine is going to be $225 Rego and $357 CTP, on top of which I pay something like another $800 for fully comp insurance - mind it was worth it when some Brisbane City Council UTE driver hit the car and caused $3000 of damage
Old Jan 7th 2004, 10:20 pm

I have made one claim here when someone hit my rear. I called NRMA (who also provide my comprehensive insurance). I took the car to the garage who took pics of the damage and uploaded them to the NRMA web site. A week later I took the car back and they fixed the damage and the NRMA paid them directly.

The NRMA dealt with the colliders insurance company.

I had another accident where the bloke lied about the circumstances. The dickhead did not realise that the area of damage on the car is evidence and I heard no more. So far only minor knocks.

BTW the NRMA gave me %50 no claims bonus despite me never having car insurance in my life. I now have %65 no claims after a year with them.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 11:44 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of
Default Likely costs in SA?

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a new or nearly new small car, probably a hatchback or possibly a small 4wd, on my validation trip to Adelaide next month.

Can anyone please give me a rough idea of the costs to get me legally onto the road, ie in terms of rego and fully comp insurance, to help me work out my budget?

Elaine
Old Jan 8th 2004, 12:50 am

For a cheap city run about I bought a Hyndai Accent with 8ks manual with air con for 13,000 . Fully comp with 65% no claims is $835 plus the costs I listed above.

It is small, basic and cheap to run. The only down side is the noise and a bit underpowered with the air con on. With the speeding fines a bit of underpower suits me.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:00 am
ABCDiamond

Do you need an Australian Drivers licence to register a car in your own name ?

I had to put my car in my wifes name when we were in NSW because of this. But I know I had a car in my own name back in the late 80's when I was first here. Anyone know if the rules have changed, and if it is all States ?

Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:03 am
ABCDiamond

BTW the NRMA gave me %50 no claims bonus despite me never having car insurance in my life. I now have %65 no claims after a year with them.
AAMI also give NCD to experienced drivers without previous own insurance history. My wife had been a named driver on my policy for some years, and AAMI gave her maximum NCD when she got her own car.

Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:09 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Do you need an Australian Drivers licence to register a car in your own name ?

I had to put my car in my wifes name when we were in NSW because of this. But I know I had a car in my own name back in the late 80's when I was first here. Anyone know if the rules have changed, and if it is all States ?

I only have UK drivers licence and car is registered to me in QLD
Old Jan 8th 2004, 1:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by jayr
I only have UK drivers licence and car is registered to me in QLD
It must be a NSW thing then, thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.