Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Registering with a GP?

Registering with a GP?

Old Jul 7th 2005, 3:59 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice
Question Registering with a GP?

Hi folks,

The "repeat prescription" thread reminded me of this... I basically want to know how one goes about registering with a GP:
i.e. do they charge different amounts for consultations, so should I call around in case of finding a cheaper doc?

I just don't know where to start, and I need to go soon to get a repeat prescription myself.

Also are they busy as hell here? (like my old one in Leeds that had to go to daily booking which was a major pain in the proverbial)

Sorry if there has been something related to this question not too long ago - I did do a search and didn't come up with anything.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:05 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering with a GP?

I did this thread a while ago, which includes info about consultation fees:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293247

Registering with a doctor was easy. Give a few a call and decide on one.

GG

Originally Posted by lel_smiff
Hi folks,

The "repeat prescription" thread reminded me of this... I basically want to know how one goes about registering with a GP:
i.e. do they charge different amounts for consultations, so should I call around in case of finding a cheaper doc?

I just don't know where to start, and I need to go soon to get a repeat prescription myself.

Also are they busy as hell here? (like my old one in Leeds that had to go to daily booking which was a major pain in the proverbial)

Sorry if there has been something related to this question not too long ago - I did do a search and didn't come up with anything.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:21 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

Thanks GG. That was pretty helpful.

I need to ask if any ladies on here might be able to PM or e-mail me to give me a bit of advice on Contraceptive pill prescriptions here;
do you have to go to a doc each time or are their family planning type clinics you can go to?
are some of them sensitive to it - i.e do i have to pay to have a Doc tell me they don't agree with it!?!
How much do they cost and how frequently do you get your prescriptions?

(I don't think I get any medicare help with prescriptions because of my visa)

Sorry for the nature of that query to any males that weren't expecting it! I've tried to find out on the web, but am not really finding answers. That's why I was asking for a PM reply.

thanks
Lel
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:31 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome. Just don't let on that I've helped you. I'm a lounge dweller and never post anything useful.

Brought huge supplies of the pill over from the UK when Mr GG and I moved, so can't help on that front. Sorry.
Nichola

I need to ask if any ladies on here might be able to PM or e-mail me to give me a bit of advice on Contraceptive pill prescriptions here;
do you have to go to a doc each time or are their family planning type clinics you can go to?
are some of them sensitive to it - i.e do i have to pay to have a Doc tell me they don't agree with it!?!

Sorry for the nature of that query to any males that weren't expecting it! I've tried to find out on the web, but am not really finding answers. That's why I was asking for a PM reply.

thanks
Lel
Old Jul 7th 2005, 4:38 am
ABCDiamond

Levlen ED can be bought from www.epharmacy.com.au :
$33.35 for 12 months supply
$26.00 for 8 months supply
$12.45 for 4 months supply

Our local chemist sells it for $19.55 for ... however many we get, I assume we get the 4 month supply.

These prices are based on normal presciptions. Not sure how it works for non PR holders.

Old Jul 7th 2005, 5:13 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

thanks
Lel
What vias are you on?

I am on a temp spouse visa which entitles me to full medicare, you get an interim card which has to be renewed yearly until you have full PR, Many dr's and insurance companies dont understand this type of medicare card and tell you you are not entitled to private etc etc but after lots of explaining they finally seem to understand that you are.

As for the pill I am not sure as I am not on it but I do know you have to pay for it, Some cities do have family planning clinics and you can get it free there (so I have been told) but not where I live.

I have finally got round to getting private today and I am pretty sure most prescription costs are covered by this but it isn;t cheap the best quote I got for full hopsital and extras (dental etc etc) was $202 per month with medibank private

Another girly thing to note is Smear tests cost $105 (here in country WA anyway)
the cheapest Dr appointment I have found in Geraldton is $65, but on 2 occations my hubby and I have been to the same DR and he has been chrged $65 and they have tried to charge me for the same thing $90 which I am asuming is because I am foreign and they think I am stupid. There is no bulk billing anywhere in Geraldton (except the Aboriginal surgery who do not take on white patients)

To any of you on Interim medicare cards who have private insurance make sure your medicare card does not expire as it makes your insurance invalid.

Kala
Old Jul 7th 2005, 6:33 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

Thanks ABCD and Kala too...

I'm on a Temp Long Stay sponsored Visa (457), but the Medicare card is for "immediately necessary" medical services - so basically services if I have an accident.

I'll just have to "shop around" before I make an appointment to go.

I was hoping I could find out that I could go to a clinic or a nurse to get a prescription, maybe being a little cheaper than just going to a GP to ask for a repeat prescription.
It's could get pricey If I have to keep going to to Doctor for them to check my blood pressure every six months :scared: