Reload this Page >

Refused container!

Refused container!

Old Jul 17th 2003, 12:16 pm
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough
Default Refused container!

Well, GB Liners have been here all week packing up our house and the guys have done a really good job. We were ready well before the container was due to arrive. It arrived dead on the time it was booked. Opened up doors and wow - what a smell! There was no way our furniture was going in there for 2 months. It had a very strong smell of spices - chinese or indian - not sure but even when stood a fair distance away from the container you could still smell it.

We refused the container and it has been rebooked for this afternoon. But look at the weather - looks like we might be refusing again as we will not be letting them load damp boxes.

What stress!!! Anybody else had the same experience. It was last thing we expected - too worried about whether the load would fit.

Dawn
Old Jul 17th 2003, 12:53 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Refused container!

We haven't had any experience yet. But are starting to get quotes (PSS and Pickfords to start with) and are very interested in any thoughts you have on Moving companies, and tricks to watch out for.

Did anybody else watch the BBC programme last night? It certainly inclined me towards paying a bit more for the peace of mind that the company know what they are doing. But I'll wait for the quotes before I say that too loud...
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

oh god, i'd never even though about what the container would be like. i hope they arent going to charge you for refusing the container! good luck and hope it goes well, you dont need the stress right now.

lynn
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Southerner,

Small world we moved from Surbiton/Tolworth back in March used John Masons, very profesional, no complaints.

What part of OZ are you coming too.

Colin
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Southerner,

Small world we moved over in March from Surbiton/Tolworth. We used John Masons and had no complaints, very profesional.

Colin
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:43 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by colinnsam

Colin

I'm going to the East Islands of Oz - properly known as New Zealand. Then again, in NZ the Australian mainland is known as the West Island.

Interesting to see you used John Masons, we phoned them and they were too slow returning our call, so we ditched them. We thought if that is what they are like when they are trying to get our business, what will they be like once we've signed the bottom line. We'll see how the others go first, before reconsidering that.

We're moving from Cleaveland Road, just off Portsmouth Rd. Where were you guys? My wife was in Kingston getting medicals done, and there seemed to be a few people in the waiting room all going to Oz or NZ.

Regards
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:07 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Refused container!

Originally posted by dmf
Well, GB Liners have been here all week packing up our house and the guys have done a really good job. We were ready well before the container was due to arrive. It arrived dead on the time it was booked. Opened up doors and wow - what a smell! There was no way our furniture was going in there for 2 months. It had a very strong smell of spices - chinese or indian - not sure but even when stood a fair distance away from the container you could still smell it.

We refused the container and it has been rebooked for this afternoon. But look at the weather - looks like we might be refusing again as we will not be letting them load damp boxes.

What stress!!! Anybody else had the same experience. It was last thing we expected - too worried about whether the load would fit.

Dawn
you have every right to , wait till you smell one that has had molasses drums in it, another tip is to open the right hand door go inside and just pull the door shut ,have a look for any pin pricks of light ,this should put your mind at rest that the container has no holes, ,,, yes the company should have done this ,but remember "lifes a bitch" ............. MM
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Recommend again - Doree Bonner. Used them for our last move to Oz. Terrific packing service, very friendly, no breakages, competitive price. Long history, all the right trade memberships and insurances.

Just got a quote from them for this time. Good mid price again and they agreed to reduce a bit to match the price of another mid-range company.

Pickfords is too pricey for me - I want good service but don't want to pay for some bizarre notion of 'status' from the Pickfords name on the vans.

Good luck!
Old Jul 17th 2003, 9:03 pm
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

All of our stuff has left today in a good clean container.

We found GB Liners very good and very friendly.Its just a shame P & O let them down with the first container,but it could happen to any removal company.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

From researching the threads over the last few months asked:

Bishops Move - £3200 + 2.8% insurance
John Mason - £2900 + 2.65% insurance
Whites & Co - £2550 + 3%

All seemed professional. John Mason said they'd requote when they heard that they'd been beaten.

This is for a move of a 20 foot container from Hants to Wellington NZ.

Any views as I haven't accepted yet.

Roger
Old Jul 18th 2003, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We have been quoted £3215 from John Masons and Doree. Both identical quotes.

Sole use 20 ft container with 1050 - 1100cft from M25 to Brisbane.

I would like to try and get a cheaper quote as Doree Bonner said they would try and match any lower quote that we got.

Which companies are cheaper than these two?
Old Jul 18th 2003, 5:07 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Originally posted by southerner
I'm going to the East Islands of Oz - properly known as New Zealand. Then again, in NZ the Australian mainland is known as the West Island.

Interesting to see you used John Masons, we phoned them and they were too slow returning our call, so we ditched them. We thought if that is what they are like when they are trying to get our business, what will they be like once we've signed the bottom line. We'll see how the others go first, before reconsidering that.

We're moving from Cleaveland Road, just off Portsmouth Rd. Where were you guys? My wife was in Kingston getting medicals done, and there seemed to be a few people in the waiting room all going to Oz or NZ.

Regards
We used John Mason's to go out to Oz (they use Wridgways at the other end) and then Wridgways to come back so had John Masons again this end all I can say is excellent service could not fault either company one little bit. They both inspected our containers before loading our stuff into them and it was raining both sides when they were being loaded no problems whatsoever.

Old Jul 18th 2003, 5:37 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by tinaj
We have been quoted £3215 from John Masons and Doree. Both identical quotes.

Sole use 20 ft container with 1050 - 1100cft from M25 to Brisbane.

I would like to try and get a cheaper quote as Doree Bonner said they would try and match any lower quote that we got.

Which companies are cheaper than these two?

PSS and Bishops Mve both quoted me cheaper than Doree Bonner for M25 to Sydney
Old Jul 18th 2003, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tinaj,

Moves quote was much cheaper than Doree but didn't try to match price as service didn't look as good so I didn't think Dorees would go for it.

Got Dorees to match price of Anglo Pacific quote (several hundred cheaper) - similar mid price company.

Good luck.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

We got a quote from John Masons too.

Same price as reduced Dorees for sole use 20' container but way more expensive than Dorees for left over going groupage (shared container on rate per cubic foot - non urgent stuff - a lot cheaper than getting 40' container).

So Dorees it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.