Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Refugees to the Uk

Refugees to the Uk

Old Jun 17th 2003, 12:50 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pb wilf

Originally posted by kevwalt
a country gains more from people that can put into the system and not the type that just want to sponge of the tax payer
you can not tar people on this forum with the same brush

kev
That happens here and in most cases thats the Aussie born here , the so called refugees are more willing to work than the locals.

Old Jun 17th 2003, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
That happens here and in most cases thats the Aussie born here , the so called refugees are more willing to work than the locals.

Yes, thank you, that is something I forgot to say. The native ozzies are the worst scroungers of all here. What hope for the pom dreamers when you do not even know that Oz has lots of immigrants too!
Old Jun 17th 2003, 6:24 am
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
Yes, thank you, that is something I forgot to say. The native ozzies are the worst scroungers of all here. What hope for the pom dreamers when you do not even know that Oz has lots of immigrants too!
Hello wilf,
My husband has just come back from Perth and before you say anything I know a few weeks there is not enough time to get a true picture, but he met allot of people from all sorts of countries around the world, mostly immigrants but he said that the one thing they all had in common was the fact that they all worked and all had the same goal, better life style for themselves and family, without exception all said they loved the place, not liked, but loved. You would not get the same reaction today if you asked the same kind of people here the same type of questions. As I said before its not brown or not but freeloader or not, we are simply overcrowded here in UK.
Suz
Old Jun 17th 2003, 6:28 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suz
Hello wilf,
My husband has just come back from Perth and before you say anything I know a few weeks there is not enough time to get a true picture, but he met allot of people from all sorts of countries around the world, mostly immigrants but he said that the one thing they all had in common was the fact that they all worked and all had the same goal, better life style for themselves and family, without exception all said they loved the place, not liked, but loved. You would not get the same reaction today if you asked the same kind of people here the same type of questions. As I said before its not brown or not but freeloader or not, we are simply overcrowded here in UK.
Suz

No because Poms whinge for living and Perth does not change that , a city of going on 2 milllion and expanding by the day is not over crowded , you have a limited outlook.
We Poms are always called whingers here why .
PS give it rest on my dog , cat or husband says , I care not.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jun 17th 2003 at 6:34 am.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 6:37 am
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point

Not because Poms whinge for living and Perth does not change that , a city of going on 2 milllion and expanding by the day is not over crowded , you have a limited outlook.
PS give it rest on my dog , cat or husband says , I care not.
Obviously you tell it as it is from where you are standing, limited outlook, where you are coming from I think that an understatement
Old Jun 17th 2003, 6:39 am
Banned

Originally posted by suz
Obviously you tell it as it is from where you are standing, limited outlook, where you are coming from I think that an understatement
Went to FREE guinness night last night at the OB , some of the Poms were whinging that it was free?

Old Jun 17th 2003, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Growler is an unknown quantity at this point

I will answer your questions:

Yes, I have been around refugees. I am involved in a campaign group to get more refugees like you into Oz. You object?

I have paid taxes for over 40 years. How about you? How long have you paid taxes into the country you live in?

I have worked for every penny I have ever had and grew up in very poor parts of London in an ordinary family. Life is much easier in the UK now than when I grew up there and I arrived in Oz with the contents of my pockets.

Now I will ask you a question. What country are you from? Where are your parents from?
Hi Wilf, Back posting under own alias now. I am disappointed you did not address teh point of teh refugee getting a house much easier, with much more benefits, than my mother in law, who had spent 30 years paying taxes, and working to stay off benefits. Is that the thanks we get? As the guys who fought in the world wars if they fought so that refugees can come and take benefits whilst they live without heating, safety or respect.

to answer your points, I am not a refugee. I am not being evicted from my country, nor am I looking for political asylum. I am a university graduate, with full working history behind me, who over the last year, has proved that I meet the strict criteria of the Australian immigration requirements.

I have paid taxes for only 5 years, but as I am 27, I think that is a fair amount.

As for my parents, and my origin, I am indian, and my parents came to the UK in 1972, with 2 suitcases and £50. At that stage, it would have been easier to get benefits first, and then eventually look for work as a supplement to that. However, my dad worked 7 days a week, and some atrocious hours. My mum worked, and my dad paid for a course for mum to learn english. In 25 years since they arrived, they did not use teh benefit system once. When my dads company went bankrupt however, the government gave us nothing but the finger, whilst continuing to assist the refugees.

The point is, my parents made a consious choice to come here, to improve their standard of living by working hard, and putting in the society. I am planning to do the same in Australia. the reason I am not a refugee, is that I do not intend to live on handouts, I want work for a living.

Again, you refused to answer or comment on my points about refugees having a minimum learning before being allowed into the society, so I can only assume you don't have an educated response to counter that.

I would interested to know how you would like to fund the refugees, and what they should have given to them, seeing as they pass 5 other 'safe' countries, which are just as, if not nicer, than the UK. Quite frankly, you pass through the south of france, Italy, spain to get the UK, where climate and surroundings are more like the refugees are used to, so ask yourself why they are getting to the UK. Is it the climate? I don't think so.

finally, a touchy point, but do you know how many 'refugees' claiming asylum were here claiming benefit, went to fight for the taliban, against british forces, and then when captured, showed they were from the UK, and got away free, and came back to their paid for houses and lifestyle?
Old Jun 17th 2003, 7:39 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Went to FREE guinness night last night at the OB , some of the Poms were whinging that it was free?

You was probably one of em.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 8:14 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Growler
Hi Wilf, Back posting under own alias now. I am disappointed you did not address teh point of teh refugee getting a house much easier, with much more benefits, than my mother in law, who had spent 30 years paying taxes, and working to stay off benefits. Is that the thanks we get? As the guys who fought in the world wars if they fought so that refugees can come and take benefits whilst they live without heating, safety or respect.

to answer your points, I am not a refugee. I am not being evicted from my country, nor am I looking for political asylum. I am a university graduate, with full working history behind me, who over the last year, has proved that I meet the strict criteria of the Australian immigration requirements.

I have paid taxes for only 5 years, but as I am 27, I think that is a fair amount.

As for my parents, and my origin, I am indian, and my parents came to the UK in 1972, with 2 suitcases and £50. At that stage, it would have been easier to get benefits first, and then eventually look for work as a supplement to that. However, my dad worked 7 days a week, and some atrocious hours. My mum worked, and my dad paid for a course for mum to learn english. In 25 years since they arrived, they did not use teh benefit system once. When my dads company went bankrupt however, the government gave us nothing but the finger, whilst continuing to assist the refugees.

The point is, my parents made a consious choice to come here, to improve their standard of living by working hard, and putting in the society. I am planning to do the same in Australia. the reason I am not a refugee, is that I do not intend to live on handouts, I want work for a living.

Again, you refused to answer or comment on my points about refugees having a minimum learning before being allowed into the society, so I can only assume you don't have an educated response to counter that.

I would interested to know how you would like to fund the refugees, and what they should have given to them, seeing as they pass 5 other 'safe' countries, which are just as, if not nicer, than the UK. Quite frankly, you pass through the south of france, Italy, spain to get the UK, where climate and surroundings are more like the refugees are used to, so ask yourself why they are getting to the UK. Is it the climate? I don't think so.

finally, a touchy point, but do you know how many 'refugees' claiming asylum were here claiming benefit, went to fight for the taliban, against british forces, and then when captured, showed they were from the UK, and got away free, and came back to their paid for houses and lifestyle?
Well said Growler.

Remember a number of those arrested for involvement in the Ricin plot were asylum seekers. Doubtless they will be represented by barristers paid for by legal aid.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 8:53 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Growler/Chungu,

I'm English, born and bred. I have had limited dealings with Indian immigrants and I have to admit, they are hard working citizens, I don't know of any Indian spongers at all.

One observation though (and this is changing the subject a bit really); I have found that Indians generally stick together as a group, they don't really integrate with 'locals'(for want of a better word). I refer mainly to social, recreational aspects of life. Do you think this is fair or am I talking bollox?
Old Jun 17th 2003, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Growler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chippy
Growler/Chungu,

I'm English, born and bred. I have had limited dealings with Indian immigrants and I have to admit, they are hard working citizens, I don't know of any Indian spongers at all.

One observation though (and this is changing the subject a bit really); I have found that Indians generally stick together as a group, they don't really integrate with 'locals'(for want of a better word). I refer mainly to social, recreational aspects of life. Do you think this is fair or am I talking bollox?
Interesting point Chippy. In my experience, we integrate fairly well, maybe because my parents have always been liberal. I have a mixed group of friends, from different backgrounds. We tend to have regular events though. We also congregate quite often at weddings too, where it is normal to have 1000 guests as a minimum.

Also, I think the whole integration is changing too, as the younger generation who schooled here, and 'fit in' more, are growing up. My parents did find it difficult, because of the social expectations, and moral values too. For example, most indians are vegetarian, and for many drinking and smoking are frowned on, as is dating etc.

Just as a note, I would differentiate between hindus and muslims. Hindus are generally more liberal and tend to integrate more, and more 'open', where as muslims tend to be very insular, and tend to be stricter. I know its a crass generalisation, especially of 2 such diverse groups of people, and there are many many exceptions to this, but thinking 80/20 rule, its a fair observation.

the differences between Muslims and hindus is a lot less apparant for the most part too. 2 of my best friends are muslims, and don't think twice about it. We all hate the concept of the differences and the violence that arises from it. Again, I know it does happen, and I know of people who are involved in this, and frankly, they shouldn't have been allowed in the country, because their views are so extreme.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 9:52 am
I'm lovin' it

Interesting point Chippy. In my experience, we integrate fairly well, maybe because my parents have always been liberal. I have a mixed group of friends, from different backgrounds. We tend to have regular events though. We also congregate quite often at weddings too, where it is normal to have 1000 guests as a minimum.

Also, I think the whole integration is changing too, as the younger generation who schooled here, and 'fit in' more, are growing up. My parents did find it difficult, because of the social expectations, and moral values too. For example, most indians are vegetarian, and for many drinking and smoking are frowned on, as is dating etc.

Just as a note, I would differentiate between hindus and muslims. Hindus are generally more liberal and tend to integrate more, and more 'open', where as muslims tend to be very insular, and tend to be stricter. I know its a crass generalisation, especially of 2 such diverse groups of people, and there are many many exceptions to this, but thinking 80/20 rule, its a fair observation.

the differences between Muslims and hindus is a lot less apparant for the most part too. 2 of my best friends are muslims, and don't think twice about it. We all hate the concept of the differences and the violence that arises from it. Again, I know it does happen, and I know of people who are involved in this, and frankly, they shouldn't have been allowed in the country, because their views are so extreme.
Thanks for the enlightenment Growler.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am no anti-immigrant like many on this site and am involved with a group trying to bring more Afghans and E Europeans to OZ, so call them what you like, I am trying to help them improve their lives. You, meanwhile, are running away from the UK and away from the job that the UK paid for you to train in and the people that need YOUR help.

a good social worker like my self does not discriminate who they work with and where they work, indeed if australia is in such a dire mess as you yourself keep reminding us, and that there is so many expats residing there, then i feel i will be kept very busy!

just look at me as a missionary!

ellen
Old Jun 17th 2003, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

penzer is an unknown quantity at this point

hi pommie wilf bastard,
can't you come back a little bit sooner?
hope your journey is safe and all your dreams of the future come true.....and hope you stay off this site as half the posts are typed by you and most of them are pointless cut and pastes replied to by yourself.

we all have dreams......why constantly try to ruin others?

your country needs you!

come home soon.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by penzer
hi pommie wilf bastard,
can't you come back a little bit sooner?
hope your journey is safe and all your dreams of the future come true.....and hope you stay off this site as half the posts are typed by you and most of them are pointless cut and pastes replied to by yourself.

we all have dreams......why constantly try to ruin others?

your country needs you!

come home soon.
PB and I are not the same person pencil. You are feeling a little bit blunt today? You will have to sharpen up your act before posting in future. Put some lead in it and try again.

Your post is like an eye chart with all the different sizes. I am an old boy, but not blind yet. I can still see that Oz is not for someone like you who is put off by a few digs - the ozzies will love you. You prefer to be medium rare or well done?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.