Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

References required for rental

Wikiposts

References required for rental

Old May 22nd 2007, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

mattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nice
Default Re: References required for rental

The refrences are only asked for incase you do a flit and then they would contact the referee to see if they know where you have gone. This was told to me by our Estate Agent. They only contact your place of employment and then they can only disclose info on your say so. Estate agents can only take 4 weeks rent in advance legally.
Old May 22nd 2007, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Quick question for Poms who are currently renting - did the agents charge you for references?

Two of my workmates here in the UK have just been charged £250 for their references by a local real estate agent.

Never heard about agents charging for references.... Wha'ts it's all about ?
I think i read somewhere Centrelink can help --- In what way; dont know ?? Maybe by checking if you still own something or a property in UK or country of origin.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:13 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: References required for rental

Originally Posted by mattandjulia
The refrences are only asked for incase you do a flit and then they would contact the referee to see if they know where you have gone. This was told to me by our Estate Agent. They only contact your place of employment and then they can only disclose info on your say so. Estate agents can only take 4 weeks rent in advance legally.
That's exactly how it worked when I rented a property in Midvale during the year 2000. Good to see that it hasn't changed.

Old May 23rd 2007, 10:15 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: References required for rental

Originally Posted by olauf
Never heard about agents charging for references.... Wha'ts it's all about ?
I have no idea, but it seems to be standard practice here in the UK.

Thieving bastards.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by marco121068
I gave the name and number of someone I'd known via one of the forums but had actually only met a couple of weeks before. The agent rang her and she said she'd known me 20 years and house in the UK was immaculately kept.
so we can all use you as a referee when we come to Adelaide mid 2008 then!
Johnnyyt
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:06 pm

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

I wasnt charged for my references,in The Uk I had to pay a fee to the agents for paperwork.Nothing like that here.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyyt
so we can all use you as a referee when we come to Adelaide mid 2008 then!
Johnnyyt
Why not? I'll have known you for 21 years by then.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:30 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

BE years are similar to dog years apparently
Old May 25th 2007, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

It just goes to show what good freinds we all have!
Johnnyyt
Old May 25th 2007, 10:21 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R
We are aware references may be required when applying for rental properties in Oz. Can these references be written by relatives who live in Australia? Can they be written by people who live in the country you have lived in prior to moving to Oz? Could it be a previous employer? Any help greatly appreciated.
We didnt have any references. Just showed our Mortgage statement & Bank statement. Where they asked for previous landlords reference details on the form I just put the Mortgage companies name. No problems at all