Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

References required for rental

References required for rental

Old May 23rd 2007, 1:24 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Question References required for rental

We are aware references may be required when applying for rental properties in Oz. Can these references be written by relatives who live in Australia? Can they be written by people who live in the country you have lived in prior to moving to Oz? Could it be a previous employer? Any help greatly appreciated.
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: References required for rental

Originally Posted by C&R
We are aware references may be required when applying for rental properties in Oz. Can these references be written by relatives who live in Australia? Can they be written by people who live in the country you have lived in prior to moving to Oz? Could it be a previous employer? Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi,

We used our Aunt to give us a reference - as we had only been in the country for 4 weeks. We didn't get her to write anything down - just gave her phone number to the person requesting the reference.

We also offered to put down a years worth of rental cash up front
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:56 am
C&R

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
Hi,

We used our Aunt to give us a reference - as we had only been in the country for 4 weeks. We didn't get her to write anything down - just gave her phone number to the person requesting the reference.

We also offered to put down a years worth of rental cash up front
Thanks sasbear, I was unsure if the reference had to be from someone less 'biased' if you know what I mean.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:04 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

The first rental we lived in was a brand new house just built we didnt have any references as we owned our own home in the uk, the real estate agent requested 6 months up front because of this plus bond on the promise the house would be completed too cut a long story short the grass wasnt put down for months we had soil in our front and back gardens for the first 5months if we hadn't put 6 months down we would have just left but felt kind of trapped because we didnt want to lose out on the money.

We are now renting but privately the couple we rent from our lovely i would be very wise renting from a real estate agents again once they have your money they dont seem to care in my experience, if you do end up paying months in advance make sure everything is done in the house before you move in.

kezx
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:27 am
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by C&R
They will accept a reference from your current employer (in Australia).
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:56 am
C&R

Originally Posted by Mctree
They will accept a reference from your current employer (in Australia).
And what if your not employed? will they accept a reference from your previous employer? or your partners existing employer in another country?
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:35 am
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by C&R
And what if your not employed? will they accept a reference from your previous employer? or your partners existing employer in another country?
Not sure. Basically one of the main things the Agents want is proof of employment or offer of employment. That's what we found, guess others have different experiences.
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:45 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by C&R
we took refs from previous employers in the UK as well as from previous landlords
plus copies of bank statements showing healthy balances
to me it appeared to come down to which of the applicants appeared to offer the least risk
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:01 am
C&R

Originally Posted by gedge
we took refs from previous employers in the UK as well as from previous landlords
plus copies of bank statements showing healthy balances
to me it appeared to come down to which of the applicants appeared to offer the least risk
Cheers Gedge and Mctree, thanks alot. Basically it seems you just take as much 'credibility' with you, the more the better.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:29 am

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

We used our relocation agents as referees but in the end it was the fact that I had a good job that enabled us to rent.I think if you can pay up front you may be ok-we didnt have that much cash though.
Good luck Andy
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

I gave the name and number of someone I'd known via one of the forums but had actually only met a couple of weeks before. The agent rang her and she said she'd known me 20 years and house in the UK was immaculately kept.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:46 am
C&R

Originally Posted by marco121068
I gave the name and number of someone I'd known via one of the forums but had actually only met a couple of weeks before. The agent rang her and she said she'd known me 20 years and house in the UK was immaculately kept.
haha!! Glad it worked out for you.
Andy thanks for your advice. My bf will still be employed in his current job when I move [he is not moving with me just yet] we are hoping the fact he is employed still will count for something.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068

Cheeky!

I just gave them a reference from someone my OH worked with in the UK, and a copy of our bank statement. We offered 6 months rent in advance, but she said they are not allowed to take it.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:50 am
C&R

Originally Posted by Wendy
Cheeky!

I just gave them a reference from someone my OH worked with in the UK, and a copy of our bank statement. We offered 6 months rent in advance, but she said they are not allowed to take it.
Cheers Wendy : )
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:25 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: References required for rental

Quick question for Poms who are currently renting - did the agents charge you for references?

Two of my workmates here in the UK have just been charged £250 for their references by a local real estate agent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.