Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reference Letter????

Reference Letter????

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 7:10 am
Just Joined

jansi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reference Letter????

Is it complusary to produce the employer reference letter for the process,if it is true i feel its stupidity
if i go and ask for letter my emoplyer will right away fire me from the present job any solution is it 100%
complusary to produce the reference letter???
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 8:03 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Reference Letter????

You can ask a friendly colleague to produce the reference letter detailing your work responsibilities, experience etc - no need for it to be the big bad boss - you might make reference in your application to the fact that indiscreet enquiries will make difficulties for you at work when the reference is checked and Immigration should be sympathetic. Alternatively, you could prepare a brief summary yourself under the 'to whom it may concern' format and ask your boss to sign it, saying it's for a bank loan or mortgage, they will probably do so.
Old Jul 24th 2002, 10:20 am
Thunder Ace

newstartnz <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > You can ask a friendly colleague to produce the reference letter detailing your
    > work responsibilities, experience etc - no need for it to be the big bad boss - you
    > might make reference in your application to the fact that indiscreet enquiries will
    > make difficulties for you at work when the reference is checked and Immigration
    > should be sympathetic. Alternatively, you could prepare a brief summary yourself
    > under the 'to whom it may concern' format and ask your boss to sign it, saying it's
    > for a bank loan or mortgage, they will probably do so.
    >
Spot on newstartnz. I told the HR department in my company that I was applying for a
BCS assessment and I got a really detailed reference. They never asked me how I got
on afterwards. I also got a former work colleague to give me reference from a
previous job and this was accepted.

Thunder Ace
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 25th 2002, 1:20 am
Elaine M

[email protected] (Thunder Ace) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > newstartnz <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > You can ask a friendly colleague to produce the reference letter detailing your
    > > work responsibilities, experience etc - no need for it to be the big bad boss -
    > > you might make reference in your application to the fact that indiscreet
    > > enquiries will make difficulties for you at work when the reference is checked
    > > and Immigration should be sympathetic. Alternatively, you could prepare a brief
    > > summary yourself under the 'to whom it may concern' format and ask your boss to
    > > sign it, saying it's for a bank loan or mortgage, they will probably do so.
    > >
    > Spot on newstartnz. I told the HR department in my company that I was applying for
    > a BCS assessment and I got a really detailed reference. They never asked me how I
    > got on afterwards. I also got a former work colleague to give me reference from a
    > previous job and this was accepted.
    >
    > Thunder Ace
    > >
    > >
    > > --

I'm just about to submit my visa application and got my (just)ex-line manager to do a
letter (she also wants to migrate so had no problem doing this for me) but I didn't
think it needed to be so detailed. I'm an accountant and I simply got her to confirm
I've been working as an accountant in my current organisation for x time.

Having read this thread, I'm worried now that I may need more detail and don't want
to fail on such a technicality.

Will my simple letter be enough or do I need to make it more detailed?

Elaine

Old Jul 25th 2002, 3:25 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Elaine,

I don't know about Aus. For NZ it's more important your reference shows the responsibilities you held and led, activities controlled, managed, completed etc.

Last edited by newstartnz; Jul 25th 2002 at 8:46 am.
Old Jul 25th 2002, 8:21 am
Thunder Ace

> I'm just about to submit my visa application and got my (just)ex-line manager to do
    > a letter (she also wants to migrate so had no problem doing this for me) but I
    > didn't think it needed to be so detailed. I'm an accountant and I simply got her to
    > confirm I've been working as an accountant in my current organisation for x time.
    >
    > Having read this thread, I'm worried now that I may need more detail and don't want
    > to fail on such a technicality.
    >
    > Will my simple letter be enough or do I need to make it more detailed?
    >
    > Elaine

For the assessment, you need to prove qualifications and experience. Part of this
proof is the letter which needs to contain specific details. The website for your
assessing authority in Australia should have information about the content of the
reference letter. If not, then I sugest you contact them. My apllication was IT, and
the reference letter needed quite a bit of detail which was specified on the ACS
website. I suggest to postpone sending the applicaiton until you're sure you have
enough detail as you will could incur delay later on.

Thunder Ace

Old Jul 25th 2002, 4:20 pm
Prasad

I can give you some info as i have got my qualification asst as "accountant" and
lodged my PR Application also. But could you pls tell us where u r from? And status
of your application.

Old Jul 26th 2002, 2:20 am
Elaine M

[email protected] (prasad) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > I can give you some info as i have got my qualification asst as "accountant" and
    > lodged my PR Application also. But could you pls tell us where u r from? And status
    > of your application.

I'm from the UK; I already have my skills assessment letter, I am talking about the
letter for relevant work experience as part of the visa application. I am just about
to lodge my application under the Skilled - Designated area sponsored category.

The booklet doesn't specify what the letter should say, only that I must have been in
paid employment in a skilled occupation. So that is basically what the letter I have
from my ex line manager says.

Is this adequate or do I need more details to be included in the letter?

Elaine

Old Jul 26th 2002, 11:21 am
Thunder Ace

[email protected] (Elaine M) wrote in message
    > [email protected] (prasad) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > I can give you some info as i have got my qualification asst as "accountant" and
    > > lodged my PR Application also. But could you pls tell us where u r from? And
    > > status of your application.
    >
    > I'm from the UK; I already have my skills assessment letter, I am talking about the
    > letter for relevant work experience as part of the visa application. I am just
    > about to lodge my application under the Skilled - Designated area sponsored
    > category.
    >
    > The booklet doesn't specify what the letter should say, only that I must have been
    > in paid employment in a skilled occupation. So that is basically what the letter I
    > have from my ex line manager says.
    >
    > Is this adequate or do I need more details to be included in the letter?
    >
    > Elaine

Elaine, I seem to recall that the information you send to the assessing body must
also be sent with the visa application. If it's good enough for the assessment, then
you should not have any trouble on that front with the visa app. Sending different
information might lead to questions being asked as it does not meet the guidelines.

Old Jul 26th 2002, 6:20 pm
Elaine M

[email protected] (Thunder Ace) wrote in message
    > [email protected] (Elaine M) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > [email protected] (prasad) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > > I can give you some info as i have got my qualification asst as "accountant"
    > > > and lodged my PR Application also. But could you pls tell us where u r from?
    > > > And status of your application.
    > >
    > > I'm from the UK; I already have my skills assessment letter, I am talking about
    > > the letter for relevant work experience as part of the visa application. I am
    > > just about to lodge my application under the Skilled - Designated area sponsored
    > > category.
    > >
    > > The booklet doesn't specify what the letter should say, only that I must have
    > > been in paid employment in a skilled occupation. So that is basically what the
    > > letter I have from my ex line manager says.
    > >
    > > Is this adequate or do I need more details to be included in the letter?
    > >
    > > Elaine
    >
    > Elaine, I seem to recall that the information you send to the assessing body must
    > also be sent with the visa application. If it's good enough for the assessment,
    > then you should not have any trouble on that front with the visa app. Sending
    > different information might lead to questions being asked as it does not meet the
    > guidelines.

Sorry Thunder Ace, I'm not making myself clear.

The letter I'm talking about is the one you need to submit for work experience (ie to
get the points, only I don't need points as I'm applying under the Designated Area
Sponsored category).

Totally separate to the skills assessment paperwork which was quite straightforward
for me, eventually. I had to get the ICAA to "recognise" my Accountancy Institute by
assessing my Institute's syllabus against its own (took well over a year, but got
there in the end), then I just had to prove I have that qualification and provide a
CV. So you see this letter is the only independent evidence of work experience I've
had to produce, which is why I'm keen to make sure that it's fully acceptable.
The booklet only says you need proof of recent skilled [paid]employment so I
assumed it was enough to confirm that I have been working in my skilled
profession for my employer for more than the appropriate period.

Still not sure if this is adequate but the booklet doesn't expand on this point as
far as I can see...

Anyone know more?

Elaine

Old Jul 31st 2002, 10:21 am
Jaj

Elaine

>On 26 Jul 2002 10:43:12 -0700, [email protected] (Elaine M) wrote:
    >>
    >> Elaine, I seem to recall that the information you send to the assessing body must
    >> also be sent with the visa application. If it's good enough for the assessment,
    >> then you should not have any trouble on that front with the visa app. Sending
    >> different information might lead to questions being asked as it does not meet the
    >> guidelines.
    >
    >Sorry Thunder Ace, I'm not making myself clear.
    >
    >The letter I'm talking about is the one you need to submit for work experience (ie
    >to get the points, only I don't need points as I'm applying under the Designated
    >Area Sponsored category).

You still need to meet the basic requirements though, including that for skilled work
experience.

>
    >Totally separate to the skills assessment paperwork which was quite straightforward
    >for me, eventually. I had to get the ICAA to "recognise" my Accountancy Institute

Out of interest, which institute is this?

> by assessing my Institute's syllabus against its own (took well over a year, but
    > got there in the end), then I just had to prove I have that qualification and
    > provide a
    >CV. So you see this letter is the only independent evidence of work experience I've
    > had to produce, which is why I'm keen to make sure that it's fully acceptable.
    > The booklet only says you need proof of recent skilled [paid]employment so I
    > assumed it was enough to confirm that I have been working in my skilled
    > profession for my employer for more than the appropriate period.
    >
    >Still not sure if this is adequate but the booklet doesn't expand on this point as
    >far as I can see...
    >
    >Anyone know more?
    >
    >Elaine

Accountancy skill assessments are based solely on your qualifications. Work
experience or lack of same doesn't matter. But look at it from your DIMIA case
officer's point of view. He needs to be sure that you were in skilled, paid
employment for the necessary period of time. Simply showing you worked at company X
and providing payslips showing you were paid for doing so may not prove your work
experience was skilled - how is he to know you weren't working as a receptionist
rather than as an accountant?

Jeremy

Old Jul 31st 2002, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

gunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the rough

Hey Jeremy,
its nice to have people like u around on a forum.
you are a very helpful person.
gunit