British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Referee reports/references - Aus public sector (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/referee-reports-references-aus-public-sector-744543/)

DC10 Jan 10th 2012 11:59 pm

Referee reports/references - Aus public sector

Hopefully this thread might become useful for anyone thinking of applying for public sector work here.

I have now had a couple of seemingly promising interviews here, and my UK referees were promptly contacted by email with a long and detailed list of questions to which they replied. So far, no positive news back on the jobs.

My understanding is that in the UK, contacting referees is the final, largely cursory, step prior to appointing one successful candidate. Indeed, it's not uncommon for job offers to be made "subject to satisfactory references".

Apparently this is not the case here, and it seems that references may be used to select between different candidates (which is manifestly unfair imo, as candidates cannot control the personality of their former managers - some of whom will be more restrained/critical/matey than others).

It would be easy to say "your referees are talking you down", but in one case I have seen the response and it was fine, although perhaps not quite as effusive and lengthy as might be given by an Aussie public servant who spends all day writing and reading referee reports and understands the importance of the process here. In the UK it would have been a perfectly satisfactory response, and the job would have been duly offered.

Any advice from a public sector wonk would be very gratefully received.

Amazulu Jan 11th 2012 12:08 am

Re: Referee reports/references - Aus public sector

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9834110)
My understanding is that in the UK, contacting referees is the final, largely cursory, step prior to appointing one successful candidate. Indeed, it's not uncommon for job offers to be made "subject to satisfactory references".

That's how it is in the private sector in Australia

Pollyana Jan 11th 2012 2:23 am

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9834110)
Hopefully this thread might become useful for anyone thinking of applying for public sector work here.

I have now had a couple of seemingly promising interviews here, and my UK referees were promptly contacted by email with a long and detailed list of questions to which they replied. So far, no positive news back on the jobs.

Apparently this is not the case here, and it seems that references may be used to select between different candidates (which is manifestly unfair imo, as candidates cannot control the personality of their former managers - some of whom will be more restrained/critical/matey than others).

It would be easy to say "your referees are talking you down", but in one case I have seen the response and it was fine, although perhaps not quite as effusive and lengthy as might be given by an Aussie public servant who spends all day writing and reading referee reports and understands the importance of the process here. In the UK it would have been a perfectly satisfactory response, and the job would have been duly offered.

Any advice from a public sector wonk would be very gratefully received.

Speaking from a Queensland Govt point of view, yes referee checks do sometimes tip the balance if nothing else splits two candidates. Also its worth knowing that referee checks are rarely done unless they want to offer you the post, or are at least willing to have you on a merit list thats likely to be used.

DC10 Jan 11th 2012 2:39 am

Sure enough - a rejection letter in today's post for one of the jobs. I can't believe they would waste my referees' time like that. Probably took them a good 1-2 hours (they are busy people) to write the references and then they give the job to someone else :confused:

And they tell themselves Australia is the land of the "fair go"...! :thumbdown:

Dorothy Jan 11th 2012 3:39 am

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9834371)
Sure enough - a rejection letter in today's post for one of the jobs. I can't believe they would waste my referees' time like that. Probably took them a good 1-2 hours (they are busy people) to write the references and then they give the job to someone else :confused:

It is fair. When there are 2 candidates who score very closely on essential criteria then references sometimes are a deciding factor. It could be that you and another candidate scored equally well but their references were better. What's unfair about that? Would it still be unfair to the other person if you got the job?

Amazulu Jan 11th 2012 3:55 am

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9834371)

I'm sorry you didn't get the job (it happens and better luck next time), but it's hardly the country's fault..........

DC10 Jan 11th 2012 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 9834452)
What's unfair about that? Would it still be unfair to the other person if you got the job?

What is unfair is that references - apart from awful "He is a thief" "I would never employ this person again"* ones - are subjective depending on who wrote them and not necessarily on the candidate. A fair recruitment process ought to be about the candidate, not the referee.

In terms of the point about countries - in the UK civil service I do not believe that references (*apart from above) would be used to select between candidates. So yes, it is about this country's civil service procedures.

quoll Jan 11th 2012 6:14 am

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9834614)
What is unfair is that references - apart from awful "He is a thief" "I would never employ this person again"* ones - are subjective depending on who wrote them and not necessarily on the candidate. A fair recruitment process ought to be about the candidate, not the referee.

In terms of the point about countries - in the UK civil service I do not believe that references (*apart from above) would be used to select between candidates. So yes, it is about this country's civil service procedures.

Welcome to Canberra!

I think referees reports are very useful - some people can write fabulous applications and know just how to write to selection criteria but they are hell on earth to work with and (heavens above) are even known to tell big porkies about their achievements - referees are very useful in that regard. Others dont do well at interview for a whole range of reasons but might be the very best person for the job but just dont sell themselves very well on the day - referees can be very helpful in that regard too.

I believe the APS procedure is that usually they will usually go to referees for the short listed/interviewed candidates and that referees for each candidate are given the same opportunities to respond.

Well done on getting an interview - it can be very difficult to crack the APS!

hilasbat Jan 11th 2012 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9834614)

You would be wrong with regards to teaching in the UK - references are very commonly used to select between candidates - indeed because children are involved and safe guarding procedures there are none of the usual protections for the candidate as well - a teacher has no right to see the reference for example, unlike other employees in other sectors. Plus teaching is notorious for bullying (from working in teaching, other public sector and private, it certain is in its own league compared to other areas) and the false references that this then leads to.

Don't know if its any better or not in Oz (probably not says my cynical brain :P), but its certainly not all roses here in the UK.