Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Referee reports/references - Aus public sector

Referee reports/references - Aus public sector

Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold
Default Referee reports/references - Aus public sector

Hopefully this thread might become useful for anyone thinking of applying for public sector work here.

I have now had a couple of seemingly promising interviews here, and my UK referees were promptly contacted by email with a long and detailed list of questions to which they replied. So far, no positive news back on the jobs.

My understanding is that in the UK, contacting referees is the final, largely cursory, step prior to appointing one successful candidate. Indeed, it's not uncommon for job offers to be made "subject to satisfactory references".

Apparently this is not the case here, and it seems that references may be used to select between different candidates (which is manifestly unfair imo, as candidates cannot control the personality of their former managers - some of whom will be more restrained/critical/matey than others).

It would be easy to say "your referees are talking you down", but in one case I have seen the response and it was fine, although perhaps not quite as effusive and lengthy as might be given by an Aussie public servant who spends all day writing and reading referee reports and understands the importance of the process here. In the UK it would have been a perfectly satisfactory response, and the job would have been duly offered.

Any advice from a public sector wonk would be very gratefully received.

Last edited by DC10; Jan 11th 2012 at 12:23 am.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 12:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Referee reports/references - Aus public sector

Originally Posted by DC10
My understanding is that in the UK, contacting referees is the final, largely cursory, step prior to appointing one successful candidate. Indeed, it's not uncommon for job offers to be made "subject to satisfactory references".
That's how it is in the private sector in Australia
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully this thread might become useful for anyone thinking of applying for public sector work here.

I have now had a couple of seemingly promising interviews here, and my UK referees were promptly contacted by email with a long and detailed list of questions to which they replied. So far, no positive news back on the jobs.

Apparently this is not the case here, and it seems that references may be used to select between different candidates (which is manifestly unfair imo, as candidates cannot control the personality of their former managers - some of whom will be more restrained/critical/matey than others).

It would be easy to say "your referees are talking you down", but in one case I have seen the response and it was fine, although perhaps not quite as effusive and lengthy as might be given by an Aussie public servant who spends all day writing and reading referee reports and understands the importance of the process here. In the UK it would have been a perfectly satisfactory response, and the job would have been duly offered.

Any advice from a public sector wonk would be very gratefully received.
Speaking from a Queensland Govt point of view, yes referee checks do sometimes tip the balance if nothing else splits two candidates. Also its worth knowing that referee checks are rarely done unless they want to offer you the post, or are at least willing to have you on a merit list thats likely to be used.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Sure enough - a rejection letter in today's post for one of the jobs. I can't believe they would waste my referees' time like that. Probably took them a good 1-2 hours (they are busy people) to write the references and then they give the job to someone else

And they tell themselves Australia is the land of the "fair go"...!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Sure enough - a rejection letter in today's post for one of the jobs. I can't believe they would waste my referees' time like that. Probably took them a good 1-2 hours (they are busy people) to write the references and then they give the job to someone else

It is fair. When there are 2 candidates who score very closely on essential criteria then references sometimes are a deciding factor. It could be that you and another candidate scored equally well but their references were better. What's unfair about that? Would it still be unfair to the other person if you got the job?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry you didn't get the job (it happens and better luck next time), but it's hardly the country's fault..........
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What's unfair about that? Would it still be unfair to the other person if you got the job?
What is unfair is that references - apart from awful "He is a thief" "I would never employ this person again"* ones - are subjective depending on who wrote them and not necessarily on the candidate. A fair recruitment process ought to be about the candidate, not the referee.

In terms of the point about countries - in the UK civil service I do not believe that references (*apart from above) would be used to select between candidates. So yes, it is about this country's civil service procedures.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

What is unfair is that references - apart from awful "He is a thief" "I would never employ this person again"* ones - are subjective depending on who wrote them and not necessarily on the candidate. A fair recruitment process ought to be about the candidate, not the referee.

In terms of the point about countries - in the UK civil service I do not believe that references (*apart from above) would be used to select between candidates. So yes, it is about this country's civil service procedures.
Welcome to Canberra!

I think referees reports are very useful - some people can write fabulous applications and know just how to write to selection criteria but they are hell on earth to work with and (heavens above) are even known to tell big porkies about their achievements - referees are very useful in that regard. Others dont do well at interview for a whole range of reasons but might be the very best person for the job but just dont sell themselves very well on the day - referees can be very helpful in that regard too.

I believe the APS procedure is that usually they will usually go to referees for the short listed/interviewed candidates and that referees for each candidate are given the same opportunities to respond.

Well done on getting an interview - it can be very difficult to crack the APS!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

hilasbat is an unknown quantity at this point

You would be wrong with regards to teaching in the UK - references are very commonly used to select between candidates - indeed because children are involved and safe guarding procedures there are none of the usual protections for the candidate as well - a teacher has no right to see the reference for example, unlike other employees in other sectors. Plus teaching is notorious for bullying (from working in teaching, other public sector and private, it certain is in its own league compared to other areas) and the false references that this then leads to.

Don't know if its any better or not in Oz (probably not says my cynical brain :P), but its certainly not all roses here in the UK.