Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reduced stamp duty After 1st july

Reduced stamp duty After 1st july

Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough
Default Reduced stamp duty After 1st july

For those of us off to
Perth
the stamp duty for amounts between
will be aprox:
Anything up to $220,000 (NO STAMP DUTY TO BE PAID)

Between $220,000 and $300,000
(REDUCED STAMP DUTY)

im not sure if this applies any where else
but to get this you must NOT enter into a contract before this date
as it goes from when you make the offer
not when you complete

hope this helps

Michelle x
Old Jun 16th 2004, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future
Default Re: Reduced stamp duty After 1st july

Originally posted by thebarkers
For those of us off to
Perth
the stamp duty for amounts between
will be aprox:
Anything up to $220,000 (NO STAMP DUTY TO BE PAID)

Between $220,000 and $300,000
(REDUCED STAMP DUTY)

im not sure if this applies any where else
but to get this you must NOT enter into a contract before this date
as it goes from when you make the offer
not when you complete

hope this helps

Michelle x

Hi Michelle

Do you know what the reduced figures are, or where I can find out more information.

I have recently purchased a house which has a fair amount of stamp duty on it, but I am also buying a plot of land which although the contracts were agreed in April, I would only lose £200 by pulling out and buying the land back again on a new contract - not sure if I would be able to do this though

Regards
Dave
Old Jun 16th 2004, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by darkless
Hi Michelle

Do you know what the reduced figures are, or where I can find out more information.

I have recently purchased a house which has a fair amount of stamp duty on it, but I am also buying a plot of land which although the contracts were agreed in April, I would only lose £200 by pulling out and buying the land back again on a new contract - not sure if I would be able to do this though

Regards
Dave

Hello Dave,

I spoke to justin smith at the mortgage gallery
the tel is (00618) 95271800

He is very helpful but be careful as property prices will rise because at the moment the market dosent seem to be moving
due to people waiting till 1st july so the chance that they will go up is quite likely
give him a ring and he will tell you your best bet

but on $281,000
he said we could save $500,00-$1000,000
Keep me posted
Michelle x
Old Jun 16th 2004, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Hello Dave,

I spoke to justin smith at the mortgage gallery
the tel is (00618) 95271800

He is very helpful but be careful as property prices will rise because at the moment the market dosent seem to be moving
due to people waiting till 1st july so the chance that they will go up is quite likely

but on $281,000
he said we could save $500,00-$1000,000
Keep me posted
Michelle x

Hi Michelle,

The house we bought was $295,000 and we paid about $12,000 in stamp duty. I was told before buying that you should approx allow 5% extra for the cost of buying and in fairness it did work out to be approximately that.

The land we signed a contract for is only $134,000 and we have paid a $500 deposit. It sounds like if the saving on $281,000 is only $500 to $1000 it isn't worth us dropping the contract and re-purchasing the land again (which has probably risen in value since April anyway).

Where is the house you are buying?

Dave
Old Jun 16th 2004, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by darkless
Hi Michelle,

The house we bought was $295,000 and we paid about $12,000 in stamp duty. I was told before buying that you should approx allow 5% extra for the cost of buying and in fairness it did work out to be approximately that.

The land we signed a contract for is only $134,000 and we have paid a $500 deposit. It sounds like if the saving on $281,000 is only $500 to $1000 it isn't worth us dropping the contract and re-purchasing the land again (which has probably risen in value since April anyway).

Where is the house you are buying?

Dave

Here is a link to the details

http://www.dtf.wa.gov.au/cms/uploade...etbrochure.pdf
Old Jun 17th 2004, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

He's right there, the market is at a complete standstill. We've had our house on the market for nearly a month now. Just one couple have made an appointment to view - and at last week's Home Open no-one came through. The real estate agent said that it's dead in the office, everyone is holding off until 1st July. Fingers crossed there will be some activity soon as the date approaches. Still in the meantime, our house is nice and tidy just in case someone wants to look around, the kids HAVE to put their toys away, or else!
Old Jun 17th 2004, 6:55 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jacqui
He's right there, the market is at a complete standstill. We've had our house on the market for nearly a month now. Just one couple have made an appointment to view - and at last week's Home Open no-one came through. The real estate agent said that it's dead in the office, everyone is holding off until 1st July. Fingers crossed there will be some activity soon as the date approaches. Still in the meantime, our house is nice and tidy just in case someone wants to look around, the kids HAVE to put their toys away, or else!
There are lost of houses in the higher price ranges that have been on the market for ages too. I'm not sure if this is because of the new stamp duty.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 7:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by renth
There are lost of houses in the higher price ranges that have been on the market for ages too. I'm not sure if this is because of the new stamp duty.
It could be the chain effect, from the lower priced ones. Once they start to sell, then maybe the sellers will upgrade to the higher priced ones.