Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Red light camera on a British License

Red light camera on a British License

Old Apr 8th 2014, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

AJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really nice
Default Red light camera on a British License

So.. low and behold, 2 months and 16 days into my PR, I get caught by a Red Light Camera.

$405 and 3 Demerits.

So, I dont have an Australian license yet, where do legally stand. Can I submit my British License, pay the fine and move on.

Or will the demerits still be waiting for me when 'upgrade' my license.

Looking for reasonable guidance, maybe a link to a pdf? At this stage I care not about the moral/ethical side of the argument

I'm annoyed by the RL camera, as in my defence it was amber when my front wheels went through but some jackass decided to come to a near complete stop. Alas, its Amber so i should be stopping.. so its probably pointless appealing!!
Old Apr 8th 2014, 12:59 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red light camera on a British License

Originally Posted by AJRussell
So.. low and behold, 2 months and 16 days into my PR, I get caught by a Red Light Camera.

$405 and 3 Demerits.

So, I dont have an Australian license yet, where do legally stand. Can I submit my British License, pay the fine and move on.

Or will the demerits still be waiting for me when 'upgrade' my license.

Looking for reasonable guidance, maybe a link to a pdf? At this stage I care not about the moral/ethical side of the argument

I'm annoyed by the RL camera, as in my defence it was amber when my front wheels went through but some jackass decided to come to a near complete stop. Alas, its Amber so i should be stopping.. so its probably pointless appealing!!
Did a quick google and the results seem to say that you will get the points on you license when you go to apply. Can't find a link to post sorry.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

AJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really niceAJRussell is just really nice

I have found similar threads, but nothing from NSW government.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 1:12 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I have found similar threads, but nothing from NSW government.
Have you changed your license now to an NSW one?
Old Apr 8th 2014, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't got any links but our friend got points on his licence when he transitioned over to the new licence. He was pretty peed off about it as he thought because he'd been done against his overseas licence it wouldn't carry over.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Not got NSW yet, in wondering if its a better move to get the NSW license first and submit my UK license when i pay as i was technically driving as an international holder at the time..
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:28 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Not got NSW yet, in wondering if its a better move to get the NSW license first and submit my UK license when i pay as i was technically driving as an international holder at the time..
They will link your UK licence details to your NSW one whenever you apply. I don't think you're going to be able to avoid the points.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:13 pm

You can only use a UK license for 3 months before changing it otherwise you are driving unlicensed and uninsured. Looking at your dates, you need to change your license now.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:14 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
They will link your UK licence details to your NSW one whenever you apply. I don't think you're going to be able to avoid the points.
+1......that's what happened to me. The points will be 'assigned' to your records and as soon as you go for a NSW license they will be appended to it.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:45 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
Haven't got any links but our friend got points on his licence when he transitioned over to the new licence. He was pretty peed off about it as he thought because he'd been done against his overseas licence it wouldn't carry over.

Yes, this also happened to a friend of mine - he spent several years tearing around on his UK licence, just paying the fines and ignoring the points. When he finally transitioned to a NSW licence, there were all of his points waiting for him, and his licence was automatically suspended on issue. He appealed, and the RTA gave him his licence, but with only 1 point remaining for 12 months.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
You can only use a UK license for 3 months before changing it otherwise you are driving unlicensed and uninsured. Looking at your dates, you need to change your license now.

457 Visa holders have no requirement to obtain a NSW licence, so your comment is true for PR and other permanent visa holders, but if the OP is on a 457, then there is no need for him to transfer.

S
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, this also happened to a friend of mine - he spent several years tearing around on his UK licence, just paying the fines and ignoring the points. When he finally transitioned to a NSW licence, there were all of his points waiting for him, and his licence was automatically suspended on issue. He appealed, and the RTA gave him his licence, but with only 1 point remaining for 12 months.

457 Visa holders have no requirement to obtain a NSW licence, so your comment is true for PR and other permanent visa holders, but if the OP is on a 457, then there is no need for him to transfer.

S
The OP is PR - landed Jan 9th - he had info in signature yesterday but can also be found from posting history. His opening post also states he is PR and that the offence occurred 2 1/2 months in - he needs to change license now
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:15 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
The OP is PR - landed Jan 9th - he had info in signature yesterday but can also be found from posting history. His opening post also states he is PR and that the offence occurred 2 1/2 months in - he needs to change license now

I don't generally tend to wade through poster's histories to ascertain their visa status, but you are right - he does say PR in his opening status, so he does needs to sort his licence out.

I was mentioning the situation for temp visa holders, as, to the casual observer, your post at #8 could be interpreted to apply to all visa holders.

S
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I don't generally tend to wade through poster's histories to ascertain their visa status, but you are right - he does say PR in his opening status, so he does needs to sort his licence out.

I was mentioning the situation for temp visa holders, as, to the casual observer, your post at #8 could be interpreted to apply to all visa holders.

S
I realise that - no worries - was just clarifying why I made the post
Old Apr 9th 2014, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Why blame someone else when the Amber light duration is over 4 seconds at 70KPH junctions and over 3.5 seconds at 60Kph Junctions ?????

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1959789
Old Apr 9th 2014, 9:11 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Why blame someone else when the Amber light duration is over 4 seconds at 70KPH junctions and over 3.5 seconds at 60Kph Junctions ?????

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1959789
I agree. The amber duration is generous almost to a fault.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.