The Red Carpet

Old Jan 1st 2004, 11:19 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Red Carpet

I find it funny that people mention that immigration never say "welcome to Australia". Were you all expecting a red carpet?

The best I get is a 'good on ya' when I declare the extra litre of alcohol. It is normally followed by "I wish I had 2 litres of scotch at home".

Has anyone actually been welcomed by Immigration?
Old Jan 1st 2004, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Yes..we did!!

when we went through customs at Sydney airport, the place was deserted. There were more customs officers than passengers. They were very cheerful and friendly, and after deciphering that the strange shaped boxes xrayed in my luggage were chocolates, several of them said welcome to Australia. Its nice to see smiling faces when you first arrive, it has set the tone..
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

In the past a couple of immigration guys have said "have a good holiday" when I've come in on an ETA through Melbourne. The actual migration trip, I arrived in Brisbane and got a female immigration agent who said "Welcome to Australia" as she stamped my passport!! No red carpet or dancing kangaroos though!!
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:28 am

Originally posted by podgypossum
Yes..we did!!

when we went through customs at Sydney airport, the place was deserted. There were more customs officers than passengers. They were very cheerful and friendly, and after deciphering that the strange shaped boxes xrayed in my luggage were chocolates, several of them said welcome to Australia. Its nice to see smiling faces when you first arrive, it has set the tone..
I think it was sympathy for doing time in Auckland.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:31 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
I think it was sympathy for doing time in Auckland.
At least AKL has got it right as far as parents + kids are concerned - you can swan right up the front of the queue at Immigration and they let you get through first.

Just what you need after 30 hours chimp-minding.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:33 am

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
At least AKL has got it right as far as parents + kids are concerned - you can swan right up the front of the queue at Immigration and they let you get through first.

Just what you need after 30 hours chimp-minding.
Thats a good idea. The place was empty when I arrived but very busy on leaving.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:34 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Red Carpet

I find it funny that people mention that immigration never say "welcome to Australia". Were you all expecting a red carpet?

The best I get is a 'good on ya' when I declare the extra litre of alcohol. It is normally followed by "I wish I had 2 litres of scotch at home".

Has anyone actually been welcomed by Immigration?
I got two letters welcoming me to the USA. Two identical letters. Two identical letters posted on different dates. Twice.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:37 am
WBB

Originally posted by Florida_03
I got two letters welcoming me to the USA. Two identical letters. Two identical letters posted on different dates. Twice.
thats four letters

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:39 am

You mean you weren't asked for fries or baked potato, well done, medium or rare, blue cheese, french or Mayo?
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:40 am
Not here

Originally posted by welshboybilly
thats four letters

And there are 4 of us. It was a huge pile.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:43 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it funny that people mention that immigration never say "welcome to Australia".
Now, how does that "Welcome to Jamaica" joke go...?
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:43 am
Not here

You mean you weren't asked for fries or baked potato, well done, medium or rare, blue cheese, french or Mayo?
No...but whenever I ask for a cola drink I get asked out the back and handed a packet of white powder. I use it in my tea...been having a lot of funny dreams lately...just like being back at the Morayfield Skate Park.
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:44 am

No...but whenever I ask for a cola drink I get asked out the back and handed a packet of white powder. I use it in my tea...been having a lot of funny dreams lately...just like being back at the Morayfield Skate Park.
How are the Columbian neighbours these days?
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:49 am
WBB

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Now, how does that "Welcome to Jamaica" joke go...?

is that the one with "wendy" ?

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 12:52 am
Not here

How are the Columbian neighbours these days?
Sorry, no idea...the local news is a bit...local. The Bucs lost on the weekend...and the gators, whoever they are, lost today in the...wait for it..."The Outback Bowl".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.