Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recommended cars (not utes)

Recommended cars (not utes)

Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future
Question Recommended cars (not utes)

Guidance please. Which car down under has the highest safety/reliability/comfort/economy rating, preferably with a slightly sporty look. I will want one 2/3 years old.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Recommended cars (not utes)

Originally Posted by suzannepatricia
Guidance please. Which car down under has the highest safety/reliability/comfort/economy rating, preferably with a slightly sporty look. I will want one 2/3 years old.
Hava a look at a Holden or Ford sport ute.

They have a sporty look

WW
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:58 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I think a good allround car is the Ford Falcon. If not the XR6 model then the XT. Always decent reviews, reliable and a big comfortable car. Sporty ? oh yeah

Alternatively the Ford Focus is a good drive and in my mind beats the Holden offerings (am NOT starting the debate on that - just my opinion)

Am most pleased with mine. Sure economy on fuel is not brilliant around town but very good cruising economy and you might be in the wrong country to talk fuel economy or get a Hyundi Getz or some other toytown car.

Piccie attached of my yellow meanie.
Attached Thumbnails Recommended cars (not utes)-dsc00189.jpg  
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Centurion
I think a good allround car is the Ford Falcon. If not the XR6 model then the XT. Always decent reviews, reliable and a big comfortable car. Sporty ? oh yeah

Alternatively the Ford Focus is a good drive and in my mind beats the Holden offerings (am NOT starting the debate on that - just my opinion)

Am most pleased with mine. Sure economy on fuel is not brilliant around town but very good cruising economy and you might be in the wrong country to talk fuel economy or get a Hyundi Getz or some other toytown car.

Piccie attached of my yellow meanie.
Thats nice, but a bit big, more of a boys toy methinks.Is that a Ford Focus then? I drive an astra here, so want something similarish.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

RogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura aboutRogerUK has a spectacular aura about

Try visiting a Hyundai dealership. They will have something for you. We got a Hyundai Getz in July and it is the finest small car we have owned without doubt and I have no reason to think that the other models in the Hyundai range are any different, they have all had rave reviews out here.
Good luck with your choice, but I would go Japanese or Korean whatever you chose and avoid Holden and Ford. Just my opinion.
Roger
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:26 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Thats nice, but a bit big, more of a boys toy methinks.Is that a Ford Focus then? I drive an astra here, so want something similarish.
In Australia we have the Falcon which is bigger than the Mondeo and only produced for the Australian market. Mondeos died a death here and never caught on. Your right though - tis a big car.

Holden produce the Astra here and Ford the Focus so you have the same choices in those product lines as the UK and they are very competitively priced.

You may want to check out some of the Korean models as suggested. KIA are offering some very good deals with 5 year warranties and silly prices from new as are Hyundi. The only thing I would say about buying a 2 year old car is that you wont notice a huge drop in prices from new. Cars hold value here well.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

laneylou is on a distinguished road

The Ford Falcon is not a Focus, it is bigger than the Mondeo, but more agricultural. Very old design and even older engines. We had a friend over from Oz a few months ago who is very knowlegable about Oz cars. I borrowed my dad's Mondeo 2.2 TDCi Ghia X Estate (due to owning a two-seater!) and she was very impressed with it, way better than the Falcon. It died a death in Oz because it was too small. The Vectra is not as popular in Oz as it is in the UK for the same reason.

You can get the Astra or the Focus in Oz, although they are imported from Europe and not produced in Oz. The Oz models do start at around 1.8 litres, where as the UK ones start at 1.4 litres. Anything Japanese, Toyota or Honda especially (I have had both). If you were going for Korean go for the Hyundai Coupe 2.7 V6 if you are looking for sporty. I have never seen the point in small cars, Focus or Astra is the smallest I would go in Oz.

I would like a 1996 Range Rover 4.6 V8, for long weekend drives and some off roading. I have always wanted one but could never justify it in the UK.

Perhaps you should consider getting something you wouldn't have had in the UK?

(Posted by "laneylou's" other half "MisterTwo". I am currently waiting for my account to be activated)
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

for peeps looking for a smaller (or 2nd) car I can't reccomend the hyundai getz highly enough.......

here in the uk i've got a 1.3 gsi 5dr getz and it's a maching and a half. i went from driving a 1.9d fiat punto sporting with a fair few modifications to driving a bog standard getz and this little car has taken absolutly everything i've thrown at it.

it may look small but i fitted 5 adult girlies, 1 springer spaniel, a 3 man tent, a sleeping bag and enough luggage for a whole weekend (including a dinner dance - so lots of shoes!) for a round trip from edinburgh to fort william last summer and the car took the whole thing on the chin. it was excellent.

if you're gonna go for the toytown car then the getz is the way to go! i'm gonna sell my little mean machine over here and get a getz when i get over there! i love 'em!

f
x
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:56 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We have subaru impreza small estate cheap to buy even new and would make good 2nd hand. Has all wheel drive those rained on greasy roads and can get quite a bit in. Plus it uses the cheaper fuel the ordinary unleaded not the premium so cheaper to run.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:21 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Before we came out I expected to look for something 2-3 years old like I always did in the UK. But second hand cars devalue so slowly I don't see the point of saving $5k or less and not having that new car pride or warranty.

I am waiting to see whether I need to drive to work or take the train and what I can afford but Iwill either go for brand new or 10 years old just to get to and from the station.

In a small car the new Toyota Yaris looks a great car at the price with loads of features.

In a medium size (they call them small here) I would go for a Mazda 3, Ford Focus (not keen on the new shape though) or Toyota Corolla if practicality is more important that looks.

I can't see myself in a large car but the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon are most common and look nice though the new Mitsubishi just won the best car award.

If you are into 4WD on a budget the Honda CR-V would be for me (RAV4 for the missus)

The one I am leaning towards at the moment is the Subaru RV, a 4WD, based on the Impreza, big enough but not too big so it ticks all the boxes for me.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough

We just bought a brand new Honda CR-V and we love it. Checked through the motor press before committing ourselves and couldn't find a bad review.

Sporty, roomy, safe and fun. Good for the kids too as they get a great view out being higher up than in a standard car.

Good boot space..... and a picnic table too!