Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recommended Airlines UK to Sydney

Recommended Airlines UK to Sydney

Old Sep 4th 2010, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice
Default Recommended Airlines UK to Sydney

Looking to book tickets out in Jan 2011 with possible short stop over Singapore or Hong Kong, please any recommendations for good airlines?

Thanks
Old Sep 4th 2010, 7:49 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommended Airlines UK to Sydney

Singapore stop overs - Singapore Airlines

Hong Kong stop overs - Cathay Pacific or Virgin Atlantic
Old Sep 4th 2010, 7:50 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all

BA, Virgin, Cathay Pacific, Singapore, Emirates, Quanta's (). All depends on what your budget is as well as they all vary on price.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MrJenkins
BA, Virgin, Cathay Pacific, Singapore, Emirates, Quanta's (). All depends on what your budget is as well as they all vary on price.
Singapore.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Depends on your needs and planned stop overs. Singapore airlines are fantastic.

However as we had already been to Australia to validate our visa, we went via LA when we finally made the move for the extra luggage allowance - used Air New Zealand and they were good.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:13 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore were excellent when we flew with them in March. Very helpful and attentive staff, who were particularly good with our DD (2). We've also done the route with Virgin (via HK) and found them very good, too. Personally, I preferred HK to Singapore as a stopover destination.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

looking to use emirates as they allow 30 kilo of luggage, more than the rest- with a family of four that is an extra 40 kilos. Also a380s have started flying from Manchester - v excited about that - we have a change of plane in Dubai and a stopover in Singapore
Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Hi

We had a great experience with Qantas.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Dimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really nice

Virgin win hands down for their extra luggage allowance you can buy at a reasonable price (take up to 10 x 22 kg). But beware if you stopover in Hong Kong you may have to pay for the extra luggage twice. Also look at premium economy- doubles baggage allowance with Virgin so it can be cost effective and more comfortable.

You could also look at going via the USA with Air New Zealand or some other airlines who still use the 2 piece unrestricted weight system.

Also buy a 1 year return ticket for your first holiday in the UK- fares in UK are cheaper.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 2:33 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dimond
You could also look at going via the USA with Air New Zealand or some other airlines who still use the 2 piece unrestricted weight system.

Also buy a 1 year return ticket for your first holiday in the UK- fares in UK are cheaper.
Note that Air New Zealand don't seem to do the 2 piece system for US flights now, so they are out.

Also while I echo the buying of return tickets, think about when you will come back to the UK and the price of the ticket to get you back to Oz. I ended up in the school holidays and thus stung for the ticket back. April/May are cheap times for UK>Oz tickets.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:59 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Note that Air New Zealand don't seem to do the 2 piece system for US flights now, so they are out.

Also while I echo the buying of return tickets, think about when you will come back to the UK and the price of the ticket to get you back to Oz. I ended up in the school holidays and thus stung for the ticket back. April/May are cheap times for UK>Oz tickets.
I'd have to agree though, Virgin Atlantic offer cheapish extra bags and you can stop over in HK.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

cruella2949 is an unknown quantity at this point

First time we flew Emirates. Brilliant airline and brilliant baggage allowance. This time we wanted a change from Dubai airport so we flew Cathay Pacific. Perhaps we were spoiled with Emirates because Cathay we felt were rubbish. Really really uncomfortable seats in economy, the first leg of the journey they didnt have any childrens earphones for the entertainment so our daughter had to hold the adult ones on her head to watch any movies etc. She gave up after about an hour an moaned at hubby and I most of the journey as she was so bored. Another annoying thing we found is that the cabin crew failed to collect the rubbish from our trays for most of the flights so by the time we arrived we had accumilated about 20 cups collectively amongst other junk. It may sound petty but when you are in a confined space and trying to read and write and colour in with a pre-schooler you need all the space you can get. We didnt really enjoy the food and my biggest gripe was that they didnt supply a childs meal for our daughter who was offered beef congee! Again it may sound petty but she's a fussy eater at the best of times in the UK! She survived on bread rolls mainly and fruit! We had a similar situation on emirates a few years ago and they went all out to find a spare meal and even had some bits and pieces offered from other passangers. They also ensured that the 2nd leg of our journey was corrected and that there would definately be a childs meal ready for our daughter. These small factors and attention to detail definately make a huge difference to travellers and they get my vote every time. Oh an did I mention the amazing baggage allowance. Cathay Pacific wanted to charge me an extra £24 per kilo even when I explained we were migrants and suggested changing our ticket to a migrant fare! I dont think I'll be flying with them again in a hurry!!!
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cruella2949
First time we flew Emirates. Brilliant airline and brilliant baggage allowance. This time we wanted a change from Dubai airport so we flew Cathay Pacific. Perhaps we were spoiled with Emirates because Cathay we felt were rubbish. Really really uncomfortable seats in economy, the first leg of the journey they didnt have any childrens earphones for the entertainment so our daughter had to hold the adult ones on her head to watch any movies etc. She gave up after about an hour an moaned at hubby and I most of the journey as she was so bored. Another annoying thing we found is that the cabin crew failed to collect the rubbish from our trays for most of the flights so by the time we arrived we had accumilated about 20 cups collectively amongst other junk. It may sound petty but when you are in a confined space and trying to read and write and colour in with a pre-schooler you need all the space you can get. We didnt really enjoy the food and my biggest gripe was that they didnt supply a childs meal for our daughter who was offered beef congee! Again it may sound petty but she's a fussy eater at the best of times in the UK! She survived on bread rolls mainly and fruit! We had a similar situation on emirates a few years ago and they went all out to find a spare meal and even had some bits and pieces offered from other passangers. They also ensured that the 2nd leg of our journey was corrected and that there would definately be a childs meal ready for our daughter. These small factors and attention to detail definately make a huge difference to travellers and they get my vote every time. Oh an did I mention the amazing baggage allowance. Cathay Pacific wanted to charge me an extra £24 per kilo even when I explained we were migrants and suggested changing our ticket to a migrant fare! I dont think I'll be flying with them again in a hurry!!!
So your in a confined space with rubbish getting in the way. Whats the problem with collecting it up and one of you taking it to the galley if it's annoying you, or pressing the servive buttom and handing it to the attendant?
Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cruella2949
We didnt really enjoy the food and my biggest gripe was that they didnt supply a childs meal for our daughter who was offered beef congee!
Did you ask for a child's meal when you booked? Or a few days before you flew out. Any special meal (child, baby, diabetic, salt-free, gluten-free) can be provided by the airline as long as they know about it in advance - and that means BEFORE check-in.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 1:20 am
Just Joined

cruella2949 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes we knew and there was a mix up aparantly and no available alternative. However, we did not book one with Emirates as we were not aware we had to and they strived to resolve the problem, unlike Cathay which is my point that Emirates do that little bit extra to help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.