Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

REcommendations for NYE in Sydney - child friendly

REcommendations for NYE in Sydney - child friendly

Old Dec 16th 2009, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice
Default REcommendations for NYE in Sydney - child friendly

Anyone any suggestions for NYE in Sydney?

This is our first NYE over here and can't decide if we should get the train into the city for the fireworks (we have a 7yr old daughter) as we have heard some horror stories about how manic it can be down there.

Maybe just the 9pm fireworks then home? Suggested locations to watch fireworks - needs to be easily accessible via public transport from Hornsby?

Looked at the cruises and they are $550 each and even looked at Taronga zoo, but dont think we'd be able to get there and back without a car.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 7:40 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations for NYE in Sydney - child friendly

How about breaking yourselves in gently and watching the fireworks that they put on in Manly at 9pm. It's a good show and you get the bonus of seeing the action in the city over the headland in the background (two for the price of one - except it's all free!) Mind you, don't know what public transport would be like to get you there.

It's a real family atmosphere with street entertainers etc so quite fun even before the action starts. Plus if it's a warm evening the kids can cool off in the water either side of the wharf. As with any of these things you really need to take a rug and a picnic and lay claim to a shady spot under the trees during the afternoon but anywhere along there gives you a good vantage point.

Enjoy your first NYE Sydney style!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: REcommendations for NYE in Sydney - child friendly

Hi

I don't live in Sydney so this is purely my opinion based on being in Sydney a few days ago, it was great, it was lively, it was fun but if that is what it is like 2 weeks before Christmas I'm really not sure how much fun it would be for kids on NYE!! Unless I had someone in the know (with a well located house or yacht, not likely I know!) I would give it a miss.

But the Sydneysiders on here may know of some good spots maybe?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Any more suggestions?

Is Milsons Point any good? I cn get the train to there.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

We were at McMahons Point (North Sydney station) last year - we live just a stroll away, so it was easy. It was really busy, I know they stopped letting people in, but I dont know what time. It was quite good though, long queue for drinks, and you couldnt byo. I think Milsons Point would be the same. There were plenty of people with kids around, and theres a playground there which loads of kids were using.

It was very full at the end of the evening, but it still seemed pretty well organised and nobody was pushy or aggressive. I wont be doing it this year though. Once was enough for me.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
Anyone any suggestions for NYE in Sydney?

This is our first NYE over here and can't decide if we should get the train into the city for the fireworks (we have a 7yr old daughter) as we have heard some horror stories about how manic it can be down there.

Maybe just the 9pm fireworks then home? Suggested locations to watch fireworks - needs to be easily accessible via public transport from Hornsby?

Looked at the cruises and they are $550 each and even looked at Taronga zoo, but dont think we'd be able to get there and back without a car.
Hiya,

This is our first NYE here too and we have a 2 year old. Someone suggested Balmoral Beach as a family-friendly spot to see the fireworks. I guess if you'd struggle to get to the zoo, Balmoral would be a problem too though...

Have a good time whatever you decide.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

I reckon I just go and set a tent up in the morning, guranteed shade, a spot for the fireworks and no worries about transport home!
Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by binbird
How about breaking yourselves in gently and watching the fireworks that they put on in Manly at 9pm. It's a good show and you get the bonus of seeing the action in the city over the headland in the background (two for the price of one - except it's all free!) Mind you, don't know what public transport would be like to get you there.

It's a real family atmosphere with street entertainers etc so quite fun even before the action starts. Plus if it's a warm evening the kids can cool off in the water either side of the wharf. As with any of these things you really need to take a rug and a picnic and lay claim to a shady spot under the trees during the afternoon but anywhere along there gives you a good vantage point.

Enjoy your first NYE Sydney style!
Manly is good I second that...I arrived at 5pm parked up easily, parking around 3 $, got fish and chips and set up camp on the beach and the fireworks were great around 9, had a 3 year old in tow too...no probs, easy to drive as well or get bus....lots for kids to see...Balmoral is nice but have you SEEN the parking prices they just introduced, plus you can never get a space....

Last edited by plantpot; Dec 18th 2009 at 5:38 am.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Blues Point Reserve with our 3 young kids a few years ago - one was in a push chair. It's easy to get to by train (plus a short walk) and is an amazing location to see the fireworks from - especially the bridge - it was picture perfect. It was well managed, had toilets, a kids playground etc. Would definitely recommend it.

Love

Rudi
x