Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recession concerns

Recession concerns

Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

janrod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recession concerns

I am an IT professional in dotnet with a PR. My skill is in Modl, CSL. I had few queries.
With the slowdown in economy, is it the right time to move? We might move by May this year.
Are there specific months that we need to avoid as there are less jobs in the markets?
Sydney or Melbourne. Where to move? When I researched on the jobsites, the number of IT jobs were more in Sydney than in Melbourne & other cities.

I have heard that it is difficult to find a place to live & lot of commuting will be required if I choose Sydney.

Is it true that a newcomer has to intially struggle a couple of months for a breakthrough? I am o.k to keep trying.

Can any body help me find some reasonable accommodation in Melbourne?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Recession concerns

IT is a tough one at the moment mate, the contract market has all but died so many contractors are having to take perm roles to stay employed. With perm roles companies have the pick of the bunch so be well groomed and practice your interview skills.

for somewhere to live www.realestate.com.au is the way to go for melbourne and www.domain.com.au for sydney bayside is great, St Kilda, Port melbourne, South Melbourne, as close to city and st kilda road where lots of head offices are located.

Fin years for most companies are end of June and many companies stop hiring around May time as spent up and waiting for new headcount budgets.

Dont rely on IT Recruiters either, many of them in australia are just no good and can be soul destroying working with them, as right now client is king you are one of many applying.

best approach is to go to companies direct too, if they can save 15-20k on a recruitment fee they will right now so do your homework, find out what companies use your technology, call them up and find out who the IT Director is and send them an email and CV.

You will get something, good luck