Reload this Page >

Recent Validation Trip

Recent Validation Trip

Old May 16th 2006, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

KURUVILLA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recent Validation Trip

Hi all,

This forum has been very useful and informative.Hats off to all who have provided tips and advice.They became very handy in our recent trip to Melbourne to validate our PR visa.

We spent 10 days in Melbourne.Though we had time till July, we thought of avoiding the winter and go early instead.Let me pen my thoughts about the place:-

We (myself, my wife, daughter of 14 and son of 11) all liked Melbourne very much and think that's the place to settle down hopefully in the near future.Neatly planned, many leafy suburbs, unhurried and less business like I should say.

The people were very friendly (underscore), smiling and eager to help you out in case you need to find your way out.

What did we do ?The children were looking forward to a holiday.So we wanted to go to the tourist attractions as well as go to some suburbs, get a feel of the place and also get to know how things generally work there.First day, we really made use of the city circle tram.You can hope on and hope off at any place.Very convenient though they stop around 5 pm or so.

Then we bought ourselves the Melbourne Smart Visit Card that have built in entrance fees to a number of tourist attractions.The Metcard also came with it.Happy to say, we went to the Acquarium , zoo, museum, puffing billy, Queen Victoria Market, Healesville Sanctuary, took a cruise along Yarra river, Rialto, botanical gardens, scienceworks, Dandenong ranges etc.A little pricey but works out economical.Can't manage to reach all the places though within the limited time.

We had a look around Cranbourne, Dandenong, Box Hill, St.Albains, Ringwood, Camberwell, St.Kilda Road, etc.Went to the Hunt Club Estate In Cranbourne as well.Generally very impressive.

Public transport system is quite good and is expanding.

Regarding bank a/c, ANZ bank seemed okay vis-a-vis NAB and Commonwealth Bank and so I opened one with ANZ.Took only 15 mts.Had a look at some of the houses on offer.Good old advice not to hurry into any house purchase unless you know the place very well.It is location first, location second and location third as well.

When we finally go down to settle, the holiday honeymoon has to go and should be replaced with the nitty gritties.We know we only had a glance and there are better things to come probably.Melbourne is a friendly place and hopefully it will remain so in the future.

PJK
Old May 16th 2006, 3:00 pm
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Recent Validation Trip

Originally Posted by KURUVILLA
Hi all,

This forum has been very useful and informative.Hats off to all who have provided tips and advice.They became very handy in our recent trip to Melbourne to validate our PR visa.

We spent 10 days in Melbourne.Though we had time till July, we thought of avoiding the winter and go early instead.Let me pen my thoughts about the place:-

We (myself, my wife, daughter of 14 and son of 11) all liked Melbourne very much and think that's the place to settle down hopefully in the near future.Neatly planned, many leafy suburbs, unhurried and less business like I should say.

The people were very friendly (underscore), smiling and eager to help you out in case you need to find your way out.

What did we do ?The children were looking forward to a holiday.So we wanted to go to the tourist attractions as well as go to some suburbs, get a feel of the place and also get to know how things generally work there.First day, we really made use of the city circle tram.You can hope on and hope off at any place.Very convenient though they stop around 5 pm or so.

Then we bought ourselves the Melbourne Smart Visit Card that have built in entrance fees to a number of tourist attractions.The Metcard also came with it.Happy to say, we went to the Acquarium , zoo, museum, puffing billy, Queen Victoria Market, Healesville Sanctuary, took a cruise along Yarra river, Rialto, botanical gardens, scienceworks, Dandenong ranges etc.A little pricey but works out economical.Can't manage to reach all the places though within the limited time.

We had a look around Cranbourne, Dandenong, Box Hill, St.Albains, Ringwood, Camberwell, St.Kilda Road, etc.Went to the Hunt Club Estate In Cranbourne as well.Generally very impressive.

Public transport system is quite good and is expanding.

Regarding bank a/c, ANZ bank seemed okay vis-a-vis NAB and Commonwealth Bank and so I opened one with ANZ.Took only 15 mts.Had a look at some of the houses on offer.Good old advice not to hurry into any house purchase unless you know the place very well.It is location first, location second and location third as well.

When we finally go down to settle, the holiday honeymoon has to go and should be replaced with the nitty gritties.We know we only had a glance and there are better things to come probably.Melbourne is a friendly place and hopefully it will remain so in the future.

PJK
Good post.
Old May 16th 2006, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

angipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the rough

Hi, sounds like you had a busy holiday. So did you decide on any suburbs that you think you may like to live in. Or was there any you thought were a no no. Did you stay in a hotel, camper bus, or with family. Only asking as were thinking of going on a visit to validate our visa's and every hotel I've picked seems very expensive, so we may just have to go for it and forget the rekkie visit. Thanks Ange
Old May 16th 2006, 3:47 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Friggin hell, Ive lived here for 7 years & you have done more than me.
Old May 16th 2006, 5:30 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Friggin hell, Ive lived here for 7 years & you have done more than me.
That's cause you spend too much time on here talking pish with Soapy and Margaret.

To the OP, sounds like you've had a great experience - when are you planning on going for good?

Gill
Old May 16th 2006, 8:20 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by herrchook
That's cause you spend too much time on here talking pish with Soapy and Margaret.

To the OP, sounds like you've had a great experience - when are you planning on going for good?

Gill

I know, am even stalking him on his websits (pssssss gill, have you looked at it, its really good, i think you would find it very useful)
Old May 16th 2006, 8:25 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
I know, am even stalking him on his websits (pssssss gill, have you looked at it, its really good, i think you would find it very useful)
Evening misses Do you mean the britvics one? If so, I joined it last year but I just can't bring myself to go look at it again unless we get the nod from Victoria re the STNI. I just think that if it gets rejected again and we've done even more research (and fallen in love with it even more) it'll be so much harder. That said, if we get the STNI, I'll be on there for a marathon stint
Old May 16th 2006, 8:34 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Evening misses Do you mean the britvics one? If so, I joined it last year but I just can't bring myself to go look at it again unless we get the nod from Victoria re the STNI. I just think that if it gets rejected again and we've done even more research (and fallen in love with it even more) it'll be so much harder. That said, if we get the STNI, I'll be on there for a marathon stint

Oh yeah, sorry gill, wasn't thinking, when do you think you'll hear anything???
Old May 16th 2006, 8:39 pm
Sunny Sydney

Oh yeah, sorry gill, wasn't thinking, when do you think you'll hear anything???
Still waiting on OH's references coming through from his current and ex employers and once we get those we'll get it sent off. Could be a while yet!

Gill
Old May 16th 2006, 8:45 pm

Still waiting on OH's references coming through from his current and ex employers and once we get those we'll get it sent off. Could be a while yet!

Gill

It's ok, your just young so plenty of time
Old May 17th 2006, 6:18 am
Just Joined

KURUVILLA is an unknown quantity at this point

We stayed in Quest on Flinders lane.Centrally located neat two bedroom apartment.$ 200/- per day just after formula 1.They were kind enough to allow early check-in as our flight arrived early morning and we were there by 10 am or so.Majority of suburbs looked okay but I would prefer not to stay very close to city and not too far out either.Box Hill, Ringwood, St.Albain look interesting.IMHO rent first buy later.Investment property in middle class suburbs does not fetch more than 5% rent yield, so why buy and pay higher interest when you can rent cheaper.Any view on this ?

Kuruvilla

Originally Posted by angipipsqueak
Hi, sounds like you had a busy holiday. So did you decide on any suburbs that you think you may like to live in. Or was there any you thought were a no no. Did you stay in a hotel, camper bus, or with family. Only asking as were thinking of going on a visit to validate our visa's and every hotel I've picked seems very expensive, so we may just have to go for it and forget the rekkie visit. Thanks Ange
Old May 20th 2006, 7:29 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

u been on my website?
Old May 20th 2006, 7:54 am
Sunny Sydney

It's ok, your just young so plenty of time

Oh Margaret, you do wonders for my ego Certainly don't feel young - think I've aged 10 years since I started this process

Gill