Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reccie Trip to Queensland

Reccie Trip to Queensland

Old May 24th 2005, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

SonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Reccie Trip to Queensland

Hi all,

I am planning a Reccie trip to Queensland at the beginning of August. I will be leaving the wife and kids at home whilst i visit 5 towns/cities that could be our future home.

I know i will need to have a look at employment, housing affordability, and schooling.

Is there anything else i should consider.

Also what is public transport like within towns and cities, as well as to and from the towns and cities. (as i don't have a driving license yet).

Cheers

Tony
Old May 24th 2005, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Grassface is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Reccie Trip to Queensland

Whats a reccie?
Old May 24th 2005, 7:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you do a search on the town names you'll probably find quite a lot.

As for transport, which towns/cities are you looking at? If you thinking something like Brisbane/Cairns/Townsville you would probably be best flying, for instance.
Old May 24th 2005, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

noregrets will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SonjaNTony
Hi all,

I am planning a Reccie trip to Queensland at the beginning of August. I will be leaving the wife and kids at home whilst i visit 5 towns/cities that could be our future home.

I know i will need to have a look at employment, housing affordability, and schooling.

Is there anything else i should consider.

Also what is public transport like within towns and cities, as well as to and from the towns and cities. (as i don't have a driving license yet).

Cheers

Tony

Hi tony

Now i am certainly not an expert as I have never even set foot in oz (due to arrive gold coast 24 Aug 2005) I just wondered why you feel there is a need to do a reccie? my naive opinion for what it is worth, is that you never realy get to know a place untill you live in it, just as it is in the UK. Therfore its a waste of time and money.

George

PS Get your driving licence passed here before you go!
Old May 24th 2005, 8:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by SonjaNTony
whilst i visit 5 towns/cities that could be our future home.
Which 5 ?

Old May 24th 2005, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

SonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Reccie Trip to Queensland

I plan to check out Townsville, Mackay, Bundaberg, Rockhampton & Gladstone.

I feel the need to do a reccie as i would like to find a job before moving there and there's only so much you can do via phone and internet.

I guess i just want to see whether they are as good as the internet says they are.

Tony
Old May 24th 2005, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

LauraIreland will become famous soon enough

The driving test in australia (i did mine in QLD) is in my experience very straight forward with just a couple of weeks waiting list.
Laura
Old May 24th 2005, 10:44 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Think you'd better be checking out
www.virginblue.com.au
and
www.qantas.com.au

Getting around Brisbane by public transport isn't too bad, but you're talking bigger distances up north.
Bundy - Gladstone 217 km
Gladstone - Rocky 110 km
Rocky - Mackay 338 km
Mackay- Townsville 389 km

Might be possible to connect by train between at least some of them.

Last edited by Pollyana; May 24th 2005 at 10:46 am.
Old May 24th 2005, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

noregrets will become famous soon enough

I feel the need to do a reccie as i would like to find a job before moving there and there's only so much you can do via phone and internet.

Hi tony
I supose you are right and it is frustrating researching via email/internet. its just that from experience (we moved from west yorkshire to lake district last year) I know I know you can't compare a 150 mile move to one at the other side of the world BUT we did the trips up evey weekend and the motorway links the schools etc ... and its all gone wrong. Hubby now doesnt need to use the motorway, daughter hates the idilic lakeland school and wishes she was at a hudge inercity comp!! and I have the pleasue of a 100 mile a day round trip comute!! and we planned all this!

So the moral of my story is that I arrive in QLD end of Aug having never set foot in the Country, not knowing where we are going to live, or what Jobs we are going to do, or which school daughter will attend, and of course with my rose tinted specs on it will all work out wonderfully!!! IT WILL !

All the best on your trip

George x
Old May 24th 2005, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

So, what is a reccie?
Old May 24th 2005, 11:51 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grassface
So, what is a reccie?
Everyone is avoiding that one due to the spelling.

Reccie = reconnoitre.

To visit in advance of the main move to suss out the lie of the land
Old May 24th 2005, 11:54 am
Home and Happy

A reccie is a trip innit? Can't spell the other long word wot its short for, I leave that to them intelligent lion types
Old May 24th 2005, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bix
Everyone is avoiding that one due to the spelling.

Reccie = reconnoitre.

To visit in advance of the main move to suss out the lie of the land
Ahh did that couple of years ago when on working hols
Old May 24th 2005, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

I think when he says public transport he means checking out the local public transport for when he lives there, not in order to get from town to town when he's on his reccie.
Old May 24th 2005, 1:36 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraIreland
The driving test in australia (i did mine in QLD) is in my experience very straight forward with just a couple of weeks waiting list.
Laura
As it stands at the moment in QLD if you don't have a full drivers licence when you come here you will first have to pass a theory test and then wait 6 months before taking the practicle test.

So get it before you come.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.