Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Recce to perth advice please..

Recce to perth advice please..

Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

holly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really nice
Default Recce to perth advice please..

Hi all,
So, we have our flights booked for september...
Been researching as much as I can from here, but just wanted some advice from people who have been, or already out there.

We are wanting to stay close ish to perth for few nights, then looking at exploring a bit NOR and bit SOR...

Basically what we are hoping to achieve is a rough idea of suburbs that we may wish to move to depending on whether we get jobs perth way or mandurah way.

My husband and I have an almost 3 year old. I'm a nurse, he is a sales manager. We are not too fussed on living near beach if it means we can get more house (not buying for a year or so tho).

Can people suggest some starting points for us, or any tips on getting the most out of our recce. We only have 2 weeks. We are leaving our daughter with my mum to enable us to do some decent travelling around (as well as sampling some wine here and there).

If anyone knows of any short stay apartments that would be a good base for us, that would be great too! Thanks!

Holly
Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recce to perth advice please..

Hi Holly, do you know where you will be working?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Pm ed you..
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

holly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really niceholly13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Hi Holly, do you know where you will be working?
Thanks Eds, will message you back.

Hi helen, no idea where yet, altho I expect it will be easier for me to be flexible, I can do agency for a bit if I need to. I'm thinking my husband will be working more city based tho, he is prepared for a commute, as we won't be able to afford to live near CBD. That's why we want to have a rough idea of where we could base ourselves for each work scenario.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

So ideally you need the magical combination of affordable housing for buying, close to your OH's work and do-able for yours if you're doing agency work (if Eddie007 doesn't snaffle you up for her place), plus you will need a reasonable school - does that sum it up?

Your OH's sales manager work might be based away from the CBD, though. There are various light industrial areas dotted around, or do you know where he will be working?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

So ideally you need the magical combination of affordable housing for buying, close to your OH's work and do-able for yours if you're doing agency work (if Eddie007 doesn't snaffle you up for her place), plus you will need a reasonable school - does that sum it up?

Your OH's sales manager work might be based away from the CBD, though. There are various light industrial areas dotted around, or do you know where he will be working?
i must admit, I like UK nurses, we understand each other lol.. ... And have just taken on another one... We WILL outnumber the ozzies... Actually we wont, coz I'm looking at citizenship end of august, then I'll become one of THEM......

agree tho, bout the away from CBD bit... Difficult to explain perf and how it pans out unless you've been here... What does the OH sell???
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by eddie007
i must admit, I like UK nurses, we understand each other lol.. ... And have just taken on another one... We WILL outnumber the ozzies... Actually we wont, coz I'm looking at citizenship end of august, then I'll become one of THEM......
No, never surrender, just do the ceremony and there's no need to mention it again (until you want to know which passport to use when you're leaving Australia and which one to use entering the UK).
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

That exactly sums it up!
No he doesn't know where he will be working either yet, another thing on out to do list to investigate. He currently in retail - mobile phones, which is really good money over here. However he wants a change when we come over...new challenge and all that, so what do you know about these industrial areas dotted around then? Any particular areas we can look for? What area of sales would they be?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by holly13
That exactly sums it up!
No he doesn't know where he will be working either yet, another thing on out to do list to investigate. He currently in retail - mobile phones, which is really good money over here. However he wants a change when we come over...new challenge and all that, so what do you know about these industrial areas dotted around then? Any particular areas we can look for? What area of sales would they be?
You may be better off looking for your job first then finding him one after...depends on how quickly you need an income... Nurses find work easily... And quickly...

If they're any good.... Or dont admit to having killed some one on purpose, or are breathing...
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by holly13
That exactly sums it up!
Mobile phone outlets tend to be in major shopping centres, often half a dozen clustered together. All seem to be manned by young blokes, techy-looking and there's no way I would buy a phone there. I want time to read the fine print and I will do it online. Presumably all these mobile phone companies have managers zooming around the suburbs.

Some major shopping centres (not the complete list) are at Joondalup, Whitfords, Warwick, Kingsway, Morley, Mirrabooka, Karrinyup, Innaloo (all NOR), Midland, Cannington, Maddington, Booragoon, Armadale, Cockburn, Fremantle, Belmont, Success, Rockingham, Mandurah (SOR).

Commercial/light industrial areas (again, not all of them): Joondalup, Malaga, Midland, Midvale, Osborne Park, Balcatta, Wangara (NOR), Kewdale, Cannington, Canning Vale, Kwinana (heavy duty industrial), Midland, Midvale, Perth airports, Welshpool, Henderson, Cockburn (SOR).

As you say, your OH could take the opportunity to try something completely different. The resources sector is big here (mining and oil and gas), plus all the companies that indirectly support that sector. Telecomms are also important, plus OHS systems and equipment for the resources sector. Otheres on here will have loads of ideas.

Location is important, though, as it is always good to avoid the need to buy and maintain 2 cars, if you can. If he stays in sales, those jobs usually involve travelling all over the place, but might come with a car, which would help a lot.

You're going to have a very busy 2 weeks. Are you intending to stay in once place the entire time and visit different areas, or are you going to stay in one place NOR and another SOR to get more of a feel for the different areas?
Old Jun 15th 2011, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Mobile phone outlets tend to be in major shopping centres, often half a dozen clustered together. All seem to be manned by young blokes, techy-looking and there's no way I would buy a phone there. I want time to read the fine print and I will do it online. Presumably all these mobile phone companies have managers zooming around the suburbs.

Some major shopping centres (not the complete list) are at Joondalup, Whitfords, Warwick, Kingsway, Morley, Mirrabooka, Karrinyup, Innaloo (all NOR), Midland, Cannington, Maddington, Booragoon, Armadale, Cockburn, Fremantle, Belmont, Success, Rockingham, Mandurah (SOR).

Commercial/light industrial areas (again, not all of them): Joondalup, Malaga, Midland, Midvale, Osborne Park, Balcatta, Wangara (NOR), Kewdale, Cannington, Canning Vale, Kwinana (heavy duty industrial), Midland, Midvale, Perth airports, Welshpool, Henderson, Cockburn (SOR).

As you say, your OH could take the opportunity to try something completely different. The resources sector is big here (mining and oil and gas), plus all the companies that indirectly support that sector. Telecomms are also important, plus OHS systems and equipment for the resources sector. Otheres on here will have loads of ideas.

Location is important, though, as it is always good to avoid the need to buy and maintain 2 cars, if you can. If he stays in sales, those jobs usually involve travelling all over the place, but might come with a car, which would help a lot.

You're going to have a very busy 2 weeks. Are you intending to stay in once place the entire time and visit different areas, or are you going to stay in one place NOR and another SOR to get more of a feel for the different areas?
Thanks, that's really helpful! Am building up a bit of a file, so we can make notes when we are out there and also have info on hand....bit of a geek like that! Lol

He definitely doesn't see himself in a shop ever again! He loves and is good at managing people tho, so hopefully he can transfer those skills to another area.

We are planning to stay a few nights both north and south to get a better feel for areas....a very busy 2 weeks, but exciting too!
Thanks again for your advice...much appreciated!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 6:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No, never surrender, just do the ceremony and there's no need to mention it again (until you want to know which passport to use when you're leaving Australia and which one to use entering the UK).
Exactly!! "Passport of convenience" is my term for it. Cheaper and easier than RRVs but if I had to make a choice I'd give up the Aussie one first, no question.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:52 pm
a long way from home

lindseymac is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry holly a bit of a hijack here.
I am just waiting for our visa to come through. I have a job in a hospital in west Perth and have been trying to figure out where to live also.
Would prefer not to have 2 cars so I would bus/train it, but with a fairly short commute
I child primary school age and will wait until housing bubble bursts before buying

Any help gratefully received.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lindseymac
Sorry holly a bit of a hijack here.
I am just waiting for our visa to come through. I have a job in a hospital in west Perth and have been trying to figure out where to live also.
Would prefer not to have 2 cars so I would bus/train it, but with a fairly short commute
I child primary school age and will wait until housing bubble bursts before buying

Any help gratefully received.
Hi lindseymac, when you say West Perth, which suburb do you mean and do you intend to rent in a suburb that you can afford to buy in?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi lindseymac, when you say West Perth, which suburb do you mean and do you intend to rent in a suburb that you can afford to buy in?
Probably means West Perth, probably working at The Mount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.