Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reason's why there so many whinging poms

Reason's why there so many whinging poms

Old Sep 30th 2005, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of
Default Re: Reason's why there so many whinging poms

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
it is actually possible to buy a decent property in Perth within reach of the city for less than you would buy a 1 bed flat for in the UK.

Having said that I can understand why you are leaving Australia if you have been living in Rockingham. We stayed there for the first 2 weeks we were in Oz and we hated it. The second day we were there we were accosted by a bag lady asking us where the sports centre was where they give out free food which was pretty indicative of the locals. The view from the foreshore is of Kwinana or the naval base and it takes over an hour to get into the city if you need to for work, with all the strikes it will probably take about another two years to get the rail link down to Rockingham which may make it a better place to live.
You talk shite my firend.......I live here, I know....
Old Sep 30th 2005, 4:26 pm
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
Lovely house Grayling, reminds me of a place some friends of mine have up in Scotland about five miles from the Glenfiddich dishtillery....hic!
<snip>
</snip>
Anyway none of my ramblings were meant to offend or have a go at anyone, just personal feelings/observations/opinions, life's twists and turns affect us all very differently and all we can do is make the most of the short time we have to try and get the most out of life.
Excellent post
Old Sep 30th 2005, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Low standard of houses? 40% of UK houses were built before the war.
and they are the ones we all want to live in because the new ones are tiny god awful rabbit hutches that will last about 2 winters.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 4:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
and they are the ones we all want to live in because the new ones are tiny god awful rabbit hutches that will last about 2 winters.
Mine's made out of great big pieces of Derbyshire stone

The walls are about 2 foot thick.

They are a bugger to drill through though

G
Old Sep 30th 2005, 4:36 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Mine's made out of great big pieces of Derbyshire stone

The walls are about 2 foot thick.

They are a bugger to drill through though

G
You want one of these then .......

I'll give my mate in Scotland a ring and see if you can borrow his if you need to
Old Sep 30th 2005, 4:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
You want one of these then .......

I'll give my mate in Scotland a ring and see if you can borrow his if you need to

G
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:33 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

How long ago?
24yrs
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:37 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a nice house (in the midlands).

It's where I was brought up.

G
Oh G that is beautiful
Old Sep 30th 2005, 8:56 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by possoms
Oh G that is beautiful
It was.

Sadly demolished many years ago to build the Oxford ring road

What a crime.

G
Old Sep 30th 2005, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

canaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant future

Dolphin Lane.

I recommend the Chinese takeaway on Shirley Road; great service and fine food at very reasonable prices.
I saw a dogs leg outside there once :scared:
Old Oct 1st 2005, 2:10 am
Badge

I live in the midlands and it is not as you describe.

Here is my house

G
Nice! I've seen another picture, your house is fantastic. I would have loved to have been able to afford a house like yours but they come at a premium these days as I'm sure you're aware. Anything detached or in a nice village is expensive. Seems you are in a minority. You are lucky to live in a beautiful part on the edge of one of the National Parks, are you not? Much of the *average* housing stock I see in the Midlands is pretty substandard to be honest and is very much like Typhoon's says.

badge

Old Oct 1st 2005, 2:19 am
Badge

And you need a fair slab of cash to live in most of the Nice parts of Australia.

G
Up to a point, very true but it depends. Fortunately for a lot of Brits they do have a slab of cash, or a sizeable deposit to wipe out the recent mad increases. The way I look at it, I bought a 2004 house at 1998 prices. I exchanged a 2 bed flat in one of the worst areas of S london, years away from gentrification, for a 3bed detached home on an acre in one of the nicest commutable villages in Melbourne. I also diverted money I could have spent on a new car into it as well. I got it cheap because no sod was willing to do a bit of painting and it is not in keeping with current Aussie fashions. The reason why Aussies buy expensive houses is because they buy overpriced made to measure mansions they don't need. There are bargains out there if you look in established areas - in fact - I think it has been the secret of our success and integration in Australia.

Badge

Old Oct 1st 2005, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the midlands and it is not as you describe.

Here is my house

G
Did you put the Icing Sugar around your house for the Real Estate Agents or is it someone's birthday
Old Oct 1st 2005, 8:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Badge
Nice! I've seen another picture, your house is fantastic. I would have loved to have been able to afford a house like yours but they come at a premium these days as I'm sure you're aware. Anything detached or in a nice village is expensive. Seems you are in a minority. You are lucky to live in a beautiful part on the edge of one of the National Parks, are you not? Much of the *average* housing stock I see in the Midlands is pretty substandard to be honest and is very much like Typhoon's says.

badge
You may be right Badge.

Like you we took a risk when the market was right.

Could not afford it now. But we have never had a mortgage bigger than £20.000 in our lived.

You start cheap and work your way up.

G
Old Oct 1st 2005, 8:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Ialibu
Did you put the Icing Sugar around your house for the Real Estate Agents or is it someone's birthday

The 'icing sugar' is less fun when it is a foot deep

We still get that sometimes up here

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.