Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

reasons for leaving the uk

reasons for leaving the uk

Old Oct 13th 2006, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold
Default reasons for leaving the uk

our main reasons for leaving the uk are feed up with the weather, increasing violence, rat race, cost of property, high stressed jobs with low pay. interested in other folks reasons for getting out?
Old Oct 13th 2006, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of
Default Re: reasons for leaving the uk

hmmmm, well yup the weather in scotland is pretty crap as standard(although has been surprisingly good this year!!!). This is something I've always wanted to do to be honest and just don't think I could settle 100% if I didnt try it?? Life is short and its all about living it to the max I suppose.

All the things you mention are part and parcel of the reasons we want to move, don't get me wrong though, I dont have rose tinted glasses on (much as my partner thinks I do!!) and I realise that Oz has similar problems maybe just not on the quite the same scale? I suppose I won't know for sure until we get there though.

Cost of property - well we're heading for Perth so although initially that was one, we might not be able to afford to buy there either now. Where are you off to?

Nikki
Old Oct 13th 2006, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

hoping to head to brisbane, going to travel for a few months and see where we fancy and take it from there. my husband has family in brisbane so that is probably where we will end up. where in scotland are you from?
Old Oct 13th 2006, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brissydeb
hoping to head to brisbane, going to travel for a few months and see where we fancy and take it from there. my husband has family in brisbane so that is probably where we will end up. where in scotland are you from?
Fife, although the OH comes from the west coast - Troon or well that's where I picked him up anyway!!!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

our main reasons for leaving the uk are feed up with the weather, increasing violence, rat race, cost of property, high stressed jobs with low pay. interested in other folks reasons for getting out?
Change cost of property to quality of property and you will find the exact same reasons being listed as why people want to leave Oz and return to the UK.....
Old Oct 13th 2006, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

For the experience of living somewhere else. The fun and adventure. I have learnt that the same problems you have listed are issues in Australia too and neither country is clearly 'better' than the other, just different.

Weather - drought & water shortages. Fires. Flies. Mossies. Not so long evenings.
Violence - happens here too. Bogan gangs (chavs) and hoons.
Rat Race - Same issues here.
Property cost - build quality often not great and comparable or expensive to live in the established or 'nice, sea view' area's
High Stressed, Low Paid Jobs - Many people have to take a step down in Oz, work longer hours than in the UK for less pay. But maybe you'll be lucky. All depends on the employment area I guess.

Don't get me wrong. I am enjoying living in Australia but please don't think it doesn't have it's own problems as you will be disappointed.

Last edited by Caroline G; Oct 13th 2006 at 11:32 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 11:37 pm
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of

I don't see it so much as getting out,more an opportunity to live in another country.I grew up in Edinburgh and love Scotland,but after 13 years of living near London,we wanted a change.Thought about every country (apart from USA) and went through a checklist,Oz seemed to be the best fit for us.
Weather is something that always comes up,well we came out in early May so have really had over a year of winter,the temps are just starting to climb here-it was 37 on Thurs,today it's more like 21 though.And we are not even in summer yet-I am gearing up for the 40+s that are coming.
Cost of property-in real terms our mortgage in London was less,although granted for a smaller house.When you're still in the UKlooking at Oz real estate websites it all seems so cheap.4 beds $150k or less and then you get here and see where those houses are,you are maybe looking at a long commute to work again and perhaps not the sort of area you want to live in.IYKWIM.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

If only it were so simple as to move countries to escape things. If you do a bit of research they have the same issues in Aus that you're trying to escape!
I want to go to Aus for what it has to offer, I don't want to escape anything, I love living in UK and will love living in Aus. Don't know why so many feel the need to compare both countries! Also don't know why loads feel the need to run down UK as they're heading off to pastures a new!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
I love living in UK and will love living in Aus.
How do you know?
Old Oct 14th 2006, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
How do you know?
Because I tend not to dwell on negative aspects, I accept that crap happens anywhere. I have lots of family in Aus who will support us settling there and also help out with getting me a job. I will have a nice deposit for a home and I know where I want to live and I've been there.

Why should I not love it? I doubt you know much about me and what my expectations are. I was once very happy living in a very deprived area of England, lots around me hated it but I found many positives. I love where I live now, has many areas of natural beauty and some wonderful people. But I want to live in Aus for many things, not the usual better weather etc that are posted on here.
It all depends on your outlook on life.....
Old Oct 14th 2006, 12:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Because I tend not to dwell on negative aspects, I accept that crap happens anywhere. I have lots of family in Aus who will support us settling there and also help out with getting me a job. I will have a nice deposit for a home and I know where I want to live and I've been there.

Why should I not love it? I doubt you know much about me and what my expectations are. I was once very happy living in a very deprived area of England, lots around me hated it but I found many positives. I love where I live now, has many areas of natural beauty and some wonderful people. But I want to live in Aus for many things, not the usual better weather etc that are posted on here.
It all depends on your outlook on life.....
Having lots of family here will certainly help in setting up. The only reason I asked why you are so certain you will love it here is because this board is littered with people who were certain they would love it here... and are now desperate to go back.
Nobody, but nobody, comes here thinking they will hate it, and the very nature of people prepared to make the massive life changes involved in the move means they tend to be more positive about things, but many do hate it.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Out of the frying pan into the fire
Old Oct 14th 2006, 12:27 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

PLEASE - not again!!! :scared:

Old Oct 14th 2006, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Having lots of family here will certainly help in setting up. The only reason I asked why you are so certain you will love it here is because this board is littered with people who were certain they would love it here... and are now desperate to go back.
Nobody, but nobody, comes here thinking they will hate it, and the very nature of people prepared to make the massive life changes involved in the move means they tend to be more positive about things, but many do hate it.

I think realistic expectations is a key. I don't expect life to be much different, I may even be worse off financially. I don't expect eternal sunshine, kids to be happier just because we've moved, to have any more opportunity than I already have in UK.
Some people set out what they want and end up disappointed.
Or they realise that they miss their families more than they expected. As most of my family lives in Aus and my parents will be moving out there within the next 6 years, I can't see how we'll be overly affected!
Old Oct 14th 2006, 12:35 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

our main reasons for leaving the uk are
feed up with the weather,
freezing houses
bush fire season
increasing violence,
What about the Cronulla riots, or many reports of people breaking into houses & attacking the home owners, or gang rape in Darling Harbour - get the picture that crap happens here too.
rat race,
why would it not exist here?
cost of property,
Have you looked at Domain, and figured out the areas close to jobs? Increase in house prices of over 30% in Perth in the last year, higher interest rates than UK (likely to increase next month), banks not as competitive as UK thus mortgages more expensive, general lower wages than UK = property expensive here too!
high stressed jobs with low pay.
Plenty of those here too and likely to be lower pay - most people who stay in the same type of job (as they did in UK) are paid less than in the UK.
interested in other folks reasons for getting out?
It has been stated many times before, that you should go to a new country for the pull factors, not for the push factors of the one you are leaving. Same $hit different bucket

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.