Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reasons To Go To Oz????

Reasons To Go To Oz????

Old May 13th 2003, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reasons To Go To Oz????

It's one of those list days today, you know what I mean - what there is to do before I go......... it's scary. While I am in that mood I just wondered what other people's top three reasons for going to Oz were. To make it a wee bit tricky you are not allowed to nominate a) sun/weather b) beaches/pools c) bigger houses.

Anyone care to offer their reasons (I'm still thinking)
Old May 13th 2003, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

for my children really, I think that they would have a better life there and also warm climate.
Old May 13th 2003, 12:31 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reasons To Go To Oz????

Originally posted by grubelice
It's one of those list days today, you know what I mean - what there is to do before I go......... it's scary. While I am in that mood I just wondered what other people's top three reasons for going to Oz were. To make it a wee bit tricky you are not allowed to nominate a) sun/weather b) beaches/pools c) bigger houses.

a) Climate
b) Sand & water
c) Larger living area

Seriously;

Change of scenery, outdoor lifestyle, less people
Old May 13th 2003, 12:35 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Houdini
a) Climate
b) Sand & water
c) Larger living area

Seriously;

Change of scenery, outdoor lifestyle, less people
1) outdoor lifestyle
2) laid back living
3) the money I have earned in the UK will buy me more in Aus, allowing us to put a large deposit on a house and limit the amount we are paying in a mortgage. (So not bigger house, but smaller mortgage)
Old May 13th 2003, 12:36 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Easier access to a more secluded countryside (i.e, outback/bush).

Aussie wife (very persuasive).

More work available for my field (geology)

Work in my field far more exciting (did you know only 18% of australia has been mapped geologically at the moment, to a scale of 1:25 thou. The uk was fully mapped at 1:10 thou over 100 years ago.) In australia there is still opportunity to discover.

By far, the best fishing i have ever encountered.

Quiet roads. I love driving, but i hate traffic. I will admit that the traffic in oz cities is on a par with central london, but the rest of the road network is pretty quiet.

My wife and I would like to one day own a boat.....more likely to happen in oz..

A change. One day, we may move back to the UK, but for the moment, it will be nice to see and experience somthing different.

Far more diverse wildlife and ecosystem, of which a large percentage can be seen nowhere else on the planet. A unique environment.

Sorry....more than 3....got carried away !!
Old May 13th 2003, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

no 1 must be as the sex pistols song goes ANARCHY IN THE UK no2 safer outdoor lifestyle no3 still seems in sa anyway`a bit old fashioned in a good way eg more trust, friendly neighbours,less pollution etc
Old May 13th 2003, 3:38 pm
Badge

cos I love the people!!!!

also don't like seeing the way people look so stressed over here and unhappy - first thing i noticed when i got back.

badgers

Old May 13th 2003, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with most of the above and considering the sky outside my window is black and it is hissing down what better reason.

And before any posts back yes i realise it also rains in OZ but at least i will see some sunny days instead of freezing arse off at the stables where i am off to now to stand in the rain for an hour.

footie chick

The day could not get much worse.
Old May 13th 2003, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

1, Insanity,

2, Better to be unemployed in the sun than the rain.

3, Pretty girls in short skirts.
Old May 13th 2003, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

All of the above with exception of watching pretty girls in short skirts.

And well why not?

Pott
Old May 13th 2003, 4:49 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Cos PB's coming back here
Old May 13th 2003, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Because im desperate to get back to where I was born.

2. I feel we will have a better quality of life as we love to be out doors doing things.

3. for the sheer adventure and challenge of it all.

I do love a challenge.

Cheers BooBoo (the adventurer)
Old May 13th 2003, 5:32 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

1. more access to wide open spaces
2. want my own horse, can't afford house with enough land in uk
3. cos after years of persuasion Hubby said we could!

Last edited by hevs; May 13th 2003 at 5:58 pm.
Old May 13th 2003, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by grubelice

1) Because I was born there and have always wanted to see it
2) Because of 9/11 (and other reasons) Florida has lost its appeal
3) To be in a more "British" culture without having to suffer by being IN Britain.

I could go on............
Old May 13th 2003, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going because:

1) Less people
2) Less urban areas
3) No mortgage (will finish 22 years early!)
4) I will be able to do more with my wife (no need to work unless I want to)
5) Nicer people
6) Cars without syringe sized pistons, I want at least 4.5 litres
7) Better for our three children, 2, 3, & 6.

Phil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.