Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reasons for emigrating...

Reasons for emigrating...

Old May 1st 2003, 12:29 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons for emigrating...

Originally posted by Anniexx
This country sucks ...that's why..sucks evey single penny out of you that you have ever honestly earned in your life to pay the illegals to do sod all(basically).Sorry,won't say any more
Anniexx

You will like Australia then, monthly fees to run a bank account, fees for withdrawing at ATM, taxes on every (yes every) transaction if you dare to own a chequebook, $40+ to visit your GP, expensive prescriptions, constantly paying money to the (state) school for every little thing, including stationery (no, really), lower tax bands, higher marginal rates of tax, paying to renew your driving licence every three years, a levy on your electricity bill to pay for an ambulance service (no, really). Oh and I'm afraid its full of 20 million immigrants, enjoy!
Old May 1st 2003, 2:08 am
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Anniexx
This country sucks ...that's why..sucks evey single penny out of you that you have ever honestly earned in your life to pay the illegals to do sod all(basically).Sorry,won't say any more
Anniexx
It never ceases to amaze me how naive and insular some of the people who post on this forum are. As if every single problem that apparently exists in the UK is never heard of overseas...
Old May 1st 2003, 2:49 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Vee
The reason is simple:

SPACE!

great birds (yes, I'm a twitcher)
work to live ~ not live to work like in the UK
plenty of storage space in houses
good weather
rainforests!
good, clean facilities when camping
BYOB restaurants
smiling people

ooooh I hope we get there soon....

V

You will live in an over crowded suburb in a faceless estate dreaming of the English countryside .
Your work will expect you to spend more time at it because working hours are more here and wages less .
Get a life and wake up you require an education , theres niave and stupid guess which one you are?

Old May 1st 2003, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

How come if people are immigrating to escape overcrowding, they all end up in the Cities, living in boring housing estates, surrounded by 6 foot fences, admiring their brick box home.

Why are they not intending to go bush, live in the desert, thats the only place you'll escape the exact same problems you get in the UK.

How many intend to live in a city?
How many intend to live in the outback?

Bet I know the answer already.
Old May 1st 2003, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

I moved to be with my boyfriend....I like to browse this forum cos it brings up issues for all us expats or wannabes, although I moved to Canada !

I really miss home, but I like it here too, plus I am only a 7 hr flight away from home and thats not too bad.

I spent a large amount of time travelling around Oz and its an incredible place! My highlights were Sydney, Kakdu national park and Byron bay. Didn't get to see WA though, though i wished I'd gone there rather than Ayres rock. You really do get quite an intense feeling of being a million miles away from anywhere when you're in the bush and i even felt a bit like that when i was in Sydney.

Personally my least favorite place was Surfers paradise, Brisbane and Adelaide...sorry if i offend anyone, its just my opinion ! Surfer's was way too built up for me and Adelaide just seemed like a bit dull...like a provincial English town.

Interested
Old May 1st 2003, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

BCBOY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Interested
I moved to be with my boyfriend....I like to browse this forum cos it brings up issues for all us expats or wannabes, although I moved to Canada !

I really miss home, but I like it here too, plus I am only a 7 hr flight away from home and thats not too bad.
You're like me Interested. I always browse this part of the forum even though I'm not in Oz...its always way more interesting than the 'canada' section!
Old May 1st 2003, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future
Talking

Agree...if only we could get the Canada section going like this one !!
Old May 1st 2003, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Dare I say it, but we need a PB :scared:

(Sorry PB, no offence)
Old May 1st 2003, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Hehehehe, that would be great !
Old May 1st 2003, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

Hehehehe, that would be great !
:scared:
Old May 1st 2003, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I can imagine it now. " We saw Canada on TV last night, oh my gosh, all those mountains, the snow, the clear blue sky, all that space. We can just see the children now, in pink fluffy snow suits throwing snowballs and building snowmen.

All Canadian children are geniuses, dancing singing in the mountain air. The housewives, just like Mary Poppins in the Alps singing with glee at the mountain views.

My husband will work less hours so we can all catch salmon on the weekend while taking photos of the cute grizzly bears.

We want a 5 bedroom rancher and being so crime free we will sleep at night with all the doors and windows open.

Cheap gas, gosh well be able to drive from Vancouver to Toronto in no time.

Sale of our house in the Uk, will ensure a never ending supply of pounds so money will never be a worry.

I cant wait to get to your country with no criminals, no crime, no druggies, "Place in a mountain Cabin" never showed a single junkie or murder, we sure hope to be in your fine land soon.

Dotty dreaming of eating salmon and feeding grizzlies.
Old May 1st 2003, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Hehehehe thats funny Dotty !!
Old May 1st 2003, 3:52 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Anyone know of a place in/around Brisbane where I can camp and not see anyone? - you require a permit from rangers for camping in designated areas. Anyone know of a beach that I can go four wheel driving that's not like a highway? I went beach fishing in the fourbe two weekends ago - you had to look both ways to cross the beach to get to the ocean - like a major road (Bribie) - for anyone who was thinking of four wheel driving here - I can't remember who it was now , the beach is pretty easy at Bribie for novices like myself, but saying that on our a way off it we passed a 4wd Ute which was bogged down in the wet with a rising tide. Didn't stop - someone else was already there giving him a pull.
The only way not to see people in Brisbane is take a long hike, take to your feet over national park like Noosa- walk a couple of miles . Anywhere where you can drive including beaches you will see people, and lots of them

Unless you live way out of the cities - you will be bump into people. - Australia is a very big place , but most people live in the pockets around the coast. You need to travel to places like the North, the outback etc for you to have real space.

Agree with interested - surfers is very ugly, and the Gold coast beaches are flat and uninteresting - ugly. Noosa way is far prettier. I would be most disappointed if I was one of these people who paid for a holiday of a lifetime to Gold Coast/surfers from another country.

Australia is a huge, huge country - some places are totally different to others, regarding people, countryside, and weather. you may settle in one part , say Brisbane and absolutely hate it - but another part of Aus may be more suited to you. To me Australia should be split up and called the country of Brisbane , the country of Tasmania, the country of Melbourne etc - there are huge differences in landscape, weather, lifestyle, people etc. I find it funny when people who want to emigrate saying Australia is this and that - how can you compare say Melbourne to Brisbane , Or Tasmania to Sydney - both have huge differences in their weather, and landscape, lifestyle etc. You can't class Aus in a general sweeping statement - it's like classing the european countries as one.

cheers
Old May 1st 2003, 4:04 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
- for anyone who was thinking of four wheel driving here - I can't remember who it was now , the beach is pretty easy at Bribie for novices like myself,

Ceri

It was me with the 4WD interest. Recently went to Noosa and wanted to drive up the beach to Rainbow but went the long way round instead (Bruce Highway), what do you recommend as min requirements for beach driving, do I need a compressor??

Jayr
Old May 1st 2003, 4:16 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BCBOY
Dare I say it, but we need a PB :scared:

(Sorry PB, no offence)
Could be that far too many people are happy with Canada in general or the Winters there educate people to put up with more?
This missionary works goes unrewarded its hard being a preacher to un- converted in a third world country , no wonder me hairs gone grey.
Do you get any anti Poms in Canada and do the Media gloat on bad news stories coming from the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.