Reasons to come back to the UK

Wikiposts

Reasons to come back to the UK

Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:33 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by onetwothree
Does the word "naive" mean anything to you?

Statistics can be altered, adjusted by anybody at any time. If the Government wants to meet certain crime targets, it can pull any number of political strings to get them.
I quoted a mixture of stats, not just the govt's. That honour goes to someone else on this thread.

Yes "naive" would be someone who bases crime completely on their own experience, ingoring statistics.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:33 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by deedee
with the square miles of land against the numbers of people on each Island,NZ and UK,you are more likely in todays social climate to be a victim of crime in the UK.....its true ,honest
Rubbish. Crime has nothing to do with the "number of people on each island".
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:35 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by PeteY
Well....technically it would would'nt it? No human contact.....

Statistics can be used to show whatever anyone likes. I could create a set of stats to show you that crime in UK is dropping, rising or whatever you like. You said yourself earlier in this thread that the government bends stats so they get re-elected. Would'nt the police do the same? Either to ensure they get more funding, or to show they are doing thier jobs?

We all know theres crime everywhere you go, and i honestly believe there is little difference in how much crime will affect you in aus, nz or the uk.

Leave your car unlocked with everything on display, it may get nicked, wherever you are.

Well it would according to Deedee's measurements it would! Some people think crime rates are based solely on their particular experience.

I agree with your last two paragraphs though in principle.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:36 pm
The Tooth Fairy

A vision of Britain in 2020: power cuts and the 3-day week

Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:37 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by The Tooth Fairy
A vision of Britain in 2020: power cuts and the 3-day week

Sounds good, I work in the power industry

(won't mention the years of power cuts and water shortages in a certain isolated country in the south pacific).
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gOD
Well you believe whatever stats you like. The vast majority show the UK to be safer
You are now starting to over-inflate your argument, possibly to try and convince yourself.

This is definitely an area that I did a lot of investigation in before deciding to make the move to NZ (hopefully). Unfortunately, I didn't keep the information I uncovered, since I had come to a conclusion. Certainly, the comparison wasn't as marked as anecdotal evidence seemed to show, and direct comparisons weren't possible. But overall, I determined the crime rate, and risk of experiencing crime, were certainly lower in NZ, though not by much. As I recall, the figures came to something like 0.8:1 in NZ's favour.

Of course, you can believe this or not, but it was an important factor for us and so there would be no reason for me to try and manipulate the conclusion - I wouldn't want to end up in a less safe environment.

It took a number of weeks to investigate this, so I don't really want to go through it all again, but may do, if I get time.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 1:08 am
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by sofistek
You are now starting to over-inflate your argument, possibly to try and convince yourself.

This is definitely an area that I did a lot of investigation in before deciding to make the move to NZ (hopefully). Unfortunately, I didn't keep the information I uncovered, since I had come to a conclusion. Certainly, the comparison wasn't as marked as anecdotal evidence seemed to show, and direct comparisons weren't possible. But overall, I determined the crime rate, and risk of experiencing crime, were certainly lower in NZ, though not by much. As I recall, the figures came to something like 0.8:1 in NZ's favour.

Of course, you can believe this or not, but it was an important factor for us and so there would be no reason for me to try and manipulate the conclusion - I wouldn't want to end up in a less safe environment.

It took a number of weeks to investigate this, so I don't really want to go through it all again, but may do, if I get time.

Well, at least you did some investigation! I did some and found it to be higher in the UK. You did some and found it to be higher in the UK. At least you did some through research and will be prepared. That is the main thing.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by gOD
Well, at least you did some investigation! I did some and found it to be higher in the UK. You did some and found it to be higher in the UK. At least you did some through research and will be prepared. That is the main thing.
I remembered one site I looked at. Of course, you can disagree with the findings, and this was not the only source I looked at by any means, but it shows that, with a best effort comparison, violent crime is a little lower in NZ, with sexual offences and robberies much lower in NZ. Comments in the International Comparisons section suggest that the NZ figures might even be inflated compared with the UK, though that is a subjective assessment.

http://www.justice.govt.nz/pubs/repo...nt%20crime.pdf
Old Jul 1st 2003, 6:59 am
gOD
Forum Regular

I remembered one site I looked at. Of course, you can disagree with the findings, and this was not the only source I looked at by any means, but it shows that, with a best effort comparison, violent crime is a little lower in NZ, with sexual offences and robberies much lower in NZ. Comments in the International Comparisons section suggest that the NZ figures might even be inflated compared with the UK, though that is a subjective assessment.

http://www.justice.govt.nz/pubs/repo...nt%20crime.pdf
Well, no one else seems to trust the NZ govt stats on this site!
Old Jul 1st 2003, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by gOD
Well, no one else seems to trust the NZ govt stats on this site!
But you seemed to accept them in a previous post. Most of those who you said don't accept them were disputing what you claimed they showed. This rather more considered comparison from the justice department suggests the opposite. Of course, we can all cling to the statistics which appear to support our case but what you cannot deny is that the case is not as clear cut as you were suggesting.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by gOD
Well, at least you did some investigation! I did some and found it to be higher in the UK. You did some and found it to be higher in the UK.
So....let me get this straight...........TONY found it higher in the uk, YOU found it higher in the uk..........case dismissed m'lord!
Old Jul 1st 2003, 7:57 am
gOD
Forum Regular

But you seemed to accept them in a previous post. Most of those who you said don't accept them were disputing what you claimed they showed. This rather more considered comparison from the justice department suggests the opposite. Of course, we can all cling to the statistics which appear to support our case but what you cannot deny is that the case is not as clear cut as you were suggesting.

No, I quoted figures from Interpol and NZ Police, not the NZ govt.

Of course I can't believe I have to point this out, but the figures attached above for NZ don't included sexual offenses (a large figure in NZ) whereas they do for most other countries...
Old Jul 1st 2003, 7:57 am
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Gra.B
So....let me get this straight...........TONY found it higher in the uk, YOU found it higher in the uk..........case dismissed m'lord!
Doh! Typo!
Old Jul 1st 2003, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by gOD
No, I quoted figures from Interpol and NZ Police, not the NZ govt.
I think you're being picky, now. Both are government sites and both can be regarded as official NZ sources. One gives raw figures that can't be directly compared, the other has attempted to produce valid comparison from the raw figures.
Of course I can't believe I have to point this out, but the figures attached above for NZ don't included sexual offenses (a large figure in NZ) whereas they do for most other countries...
I can't believe that you pointed it out either, because it's not correct. The document above gives comparative figures for sexual offences. In the UK it's 71 or 72 per 100,000 (depends on whether your in England or Wales), whilst in NZ it's 59.1.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 9:09 am
gOD
Forum Regular

I think you're being picky, now. Both are government sites and both can be regarded as official NZ sources. One gives raw figures that can't be directly compared, the other has attempted to produce valid comparison from the raw figures.I can't believe that you pointed it out either, because it's not correct. The document above gives comparative figures for sexual offences. In the UK it's 71 or 72 per 100,000 (depends on whether your in England or Wales), whilst in NZ it's 59.1.
No, one massages the figures to suit an end purpose. One is data from the police.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.