Reasons to come back to the UK

Wikiposts

Reasons to come back to the UK

Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:06 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by onetwothree
Yes, this gOD is a bit dense. I'm starting to wonder if he actually lives in England!

Yes a bit dense for doing research. Read the number of people on this thread who have said

1) I know I am safer (despite stats)
2) Stats are wrong (when they say that crime in NZ is higher)
3) Stats prove that crime is higher in the UK (when they can find some obscure eight year old article )
4) stats are wrong, but here are some to back up my point.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

onetwothree is an unknown quantity at this point

& another!

The latest crime figures say it all. According to the 2002 recorded crime statistics compiled by 43 forces in England and Wales:
Violent crime is up 11 per cent
Robbery is up 28 per cent
Murders are up 4 per cent
Rapes are up 14 per cent.

There are also new types of crime adding urgency to the debate. Car-jackings, for instance, are a new terrifying threat, with 1,200 incidents in one year alone. Meanwhile, mobile phone theft is soaring. An amazing 700,000 were stolen in Britain in the last 12 months - one every minute. In some urban areas, mobile phone thefts account for 40 per cent of violent crime.

Muggers stalk the streets of big cities. More than 40 per cent of street crime happens in London, with 14 of the top 20 robbery 'blackspots' in the capital.

Individual cases of violent crime provide a dramatic demonstration of this statistical backdrop. Just this year in London estate agent Tim Robinson was stabbed to death after parking his car outside his home, a young woman was shot in the head by a mobile phone thief, and another man was killed in a shoot out at a busy London restaurant.

Meanwhile, cases like the Stephen Lawrence and Damilola Taylor murders seem to demonstrate that even when arrests are made for violent crime the police are failing to get convictions.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:07 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

Stats vary according to which source you use.

You seen to have no problem quoting artcicles rather than figures, and using them as an argument from authority.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by gOD
Yes a bit dense for doing research. Read the number of people on this thread who have said

1) I know I am safer (despite stats)
2) Stats are wrong (when they say that crime in NZ is higher)
3) Stats prove that crime is higher in the UK (when they can find some obscure eight year old article )
4) stats are wrong, but here are some to back up my point.
No, people have said you can find different sources that provide completely different statistics. Simple.

That's why politicians love statistics as they know they can find some to suit any argument they want to.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by gOD
You seen to have no problem quoting artcicles rather than figures, and using them as an argument from authority.
The articles quote figures.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:10 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

i agree that crime has increased in both NZ and UK...however,i don't believe any stats(listened to Labour gov far too long and realised if the countries leaders can lie over and over again then they can sure twist a few stats)I have to go on my own experiences and having seen what i've seen, NZ is nothing like as crime ridden as the UK....not even close!
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

I'll repeat this again for your benefit:

The latest crime figures say it all. According to the 2002 recorded crime statistics compiled by 43 forces in England and Wales:
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:11 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

The articles quote figures.

Yes, like basing crime figures on a hospital. At least mine have a credible source.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:12 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

I'll repeat this again for your benefit:

So? Who said they were not rising? Crime is rising in NZ.

Look, without being an wanker, do I really need to explain that crime is rising in most country's and way? Do I need to explain what a percentage is?
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by gOD
So? Who said they were not rising? Crime is rising in NZ.
Nowhere near as fast as that!
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:15 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

Originally posted by deedee
i agree that crime has increased in both NZ and UK...however,i don't believe any stats(listened to Labour gov far too long and realised if the countries leaders can lie over and over again then they can sure twist a few stats)I have to go on my own experiences and having seen what i've seen, NZ is nothing like as crime ridden as the UK....not even close!

Well, there you go. You don't believe stats. According to you method Nigeria would be the safest country in the world if someone was stuck out in the middle of jungle with no human contact...
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:16 pm
gOD
Forum Regular

Nowhere near as fast as that!

And how much of that increase is because of the new method or recording crime and how much is because of an actual increase?
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by gOD
Well, there you go. You don't believe stats. According to you method Nigeria would be the safest country in the world if someone was stuck out in the middle of jungle with no human contact...
Does the word "naive" mean anything to you?

Statistics can be altered, adjusted by anybody at any time. If the Government wants to meet certain crime targets, it can pull any number of political strings to get them.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:18 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

with the square miles of land against the numbers of people on each Island,NZ and UK,you are more likely in todays social climate to be a victim of crime in the UK.....its true ,honest
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:25 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by gOD
Nigeria would be the safest country in the world if someone was stuck out in the middle of jungle with no human contact...
Well....technically it would would'nt it? No human contact.....

Statistics can be used to show whatever anyone likes. I could create a set of stats to show you that crime in UK is dropping, rising or whatever you like. You said yourself earlier in this thread that the government bends stats so they get re-elected. Would'nt the police do the same? Either to ensure they get more funding, or to show they are doing thier jobs?

We all know theres crime everywhere you go, and i honestly believe there is little difference in how much crime will affect you in aus, nz or the uk.

Leave your car unlocked with everything on display, it may get nicked, wherever you are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.