Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reasonable suburbs in Frankston,Melbourne

Reasonable suburbs in Frankston,Melbourne

Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Cindyr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reasonable suburbs in Frankston,Melbourne

Can anyone recommend reasonably priced housing and areas within Frankston? My family and I hope to arrive middle of August.

I've looked on realestate.com.au but it only gives you a blinked vision. Prices seem okay, but where to go?

Thanks
Old Apr 15th 2005, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

caz41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Reasonable suburbs in Frankston,Melbourne

Originally Posted by Cindyr
Can anyone recommend reasonably priced housing and areas within Frankston? My family and I hope to arrive middle of August.

I've looked on realestate.com.au but it only gives you a blinked vision. Prices seem okay, but where to go?

Thanks
Hi Cindy

We live up the road in Mount Eliza which is a lovely town, but housing can be pricey the nearer to the beach you are. Just further up is Mornington which is also lovely and more reasonably priced.

South Frankston is I think the nicer part of Frankston, but Frankston does seem to have an unfortunate reputation especially in certain parts, however there is a big campaign to clean up the place and certainly by the marina it is nice. pricing of housing in Frankston tends to reflect this, so south frankston tends to be more expensive than the rest.

Hope this helps, if you need any more info let me know.

Caz
Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by caz41
Hi Cindy

We live up the road in Mount Eliza which is a lovely town, but housing can be pricey the nearer to the beach you are. Just further up is Mornington which is also lovely and more reasonably priced.

South Frankston is I think the nicer part of Frankston, but Frankston does seem to have an unfortunate reputation especially in certain parts, however there is a big campaign to clean up the place and certainly by the marina it is nice. pricing of housing in Frankston tends to reflect this, so south frankston tends to be more expensive than the rest.

Hope this helps, if you need any more info let me know.

Caz
Hi - I'm looking in the same area - wondered what Baxter's like?

Carolyn
Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

caz41 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by flip

Carolyn
Hi

Not sure about baxter,but will try and find some info for you today

caz
Old Apr 16th 2005, 2:41 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by flip

Carolyn
Small... very small.

It's a bit of a no man's land between Frankston and Somerville. There is a station, fish & chip shop, milk bar, hotel (pub and gambling, not rooms), and tatooist. It is semi rural and my impression is that it's a place you drive through rather than stop. Sorry to be negative! There are housing estates and larger rural properties (mostly grazing) and if you are keen to get a largish plot cheap that might be a good reason to go there. It is also at least an hour's commute into town if that is an issue for you. There is not however a detention centre there! Some people get confused between Baxter, Victoria and the Baxter Detention Centre which is actually in SA. With regard to Frankston, as Caz said South Frankston is the 'desirable' bit - similar to Mount Eliza but without the postcode. Central Frankston is a bit dull, plenty of shops including a new complex with cinema etc. There are some nice playgrounds/parks for kids, notably the Foreshore, Ballam Park and George Pentland Gardens. The local council do seem to be doing a lot to improve the area, it is just a bit soul-less, but then so is Somerville where I live, but lots of other factors made it a place we were happy to settle.

Good luck with your search.

Regards, Kirsty