Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Really Stupid Petrol Question

Really Stupid Petrol Question

Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light
Default Really Stupid Petrol Question

Finally got my UK Smart Car all NSW registered and it only took 7 f**king months. In the UK it took just normal 'Unleaded' petrol. Which petrol would it take here? There seem to be at least a couple of unleaded kinds? And then there's that enthanol stuff.

Sorry in advance for dimness of this question.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:13 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all
Default Re: Really Stupid Petrol Question

Originally Posted by 77hil
Finally got my UK Smart Car all NSW registered and it only took 7 f**king months. In the UK it took just normal 'Unleaded' petrol. Which petrol would it take here? There seem to be at least a couple of unleaded kinds? And then there's that enthanol stuff.

Unleaded 91
Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:36 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

7 months? Why so long?

S
Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

I think your ok with the cheap stuff. If it was the smart roadster you might need 98 or high octane. You can use the ethanol as well, its fine in modern cars.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
7 months? Why so long?

S
3 months shipping.
1 month customs and clearance.
2 1/2 months registration.

6-7 weeks of the registration time was waiting for a "Vehical Indentity Inspection" becuase the blue slip guy couldn't find the engine number. Unbelievable.

Anyway. Cheers for the help. I've heard rumours that the cheaper Ethanol can cause long term engine damage. Anyone else heard that?
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:54 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

3 months shipping.
1 month customs and clearance.
2 1/2 months registration.

6-7 weeks of the registration time was waiting for a "Vehical Indentity Inspection" becuase the blue slip guy couldn't find the engine number. Unbelievable.

Anyway. Cheers for the help. I've heard rumours that the cheaper Ethanol can cause long term engine damage. Anyone else heard that?

Welcome to Australia

No, the ethanol stuff is perfectly fine for newer engines. It's old ones you have to watch out for.

S
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Don't even mention petrol! Had a blonde moment yesterday & filled our car up with half a tank of the wrong flippin stuff Text hubby & apologised profusely. Got the hand book out & even checked that just in case hubby had his facts wrong & I could redeem myself but no he was right (he is after all a mechanic). So after a phone call with him & me still apologising rather a lot I got sent back down the garage to fill up the rest of the tank with the highest octane I could. Fingers crossed it'll even out the mixture

Alison x

Ps. Sorry I'm no help on the OPs question & you probably wouldn't want to take my advice on it anyway
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Apparrantly "unleaded" in the uk is 95 RON so if I just buy that here I won't go far wrong.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:30 am
cdb
Just Joined

cdb is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll need to go with the expensive one which is 98 or the slightly cheaper 95, The ethanol fuel is only 91 octane and will ***** your engine and it won't perform properly, I once put 91 in my BMW by mistake in the Ukraine and it ran really rough,

I use 95 in my current Mx-5 Turbo and it works fine but the handbook warns against the use of lower octane fuels, look inside your fuel filler cap and it should state the minimum octane for fuel used. it will be written as 95RON or 98RON 95 should be the minimum in a turbocharged vehicle though.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Apparrantly "unleaded" in the uk is 95 RON so if I just buy that here I won't go far wrong.

Except quite a few petrol stations, possibly the majority only do 91 or 98.... Still once you've found your favourite stations you should be alright.

I dont think you can harm most cars by running them on a higher octane level... open to correction on that one... so if in doubt move up.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 10:52 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Now you have all that sorted , the next thing is to go out on the road, and hopefully not get run over by A B- double semi, and have to be scraped off the road.........MM
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:01 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Correct. Typically branded as premium here. In WA the 98 RON is moderately hard to find BP Ultimate being the best bet in my experience.

Running lower probably wont do any damage in the short term - it might "ping". On occasions I had to put 95 RON in my Jetta when I couldn't get 98 and had no ill effects
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Correct. Typically branded as premium here. In WA the 98 RON is moderately hard to find BP Ultimate being the best bet in my experience.

Running lower probably wont do any damage in the short term - it might "ping". On occasions I had to put 95 RON in my Jetta when I couldn't get 98 and had no ill effects
I've not seen a petrol station without the higher octane level in it over this way. I figured its a way for the stations to make money. In fact at times they are the only pumps open/available.

It's the middle one thats hard to get. I think they are colour coded as well.... Yellow handled pumps being 91... Red being 95 and Blue equals 98.... with Black being Diesel. Not sure whether that coding runs along all the different brands or just one or two. Reason I take an interest is my Datsun doesnt like 91 either... and I try and keep a mix in it, if I cant get 95. There is usually a 16 cents per liter price difference between the basic 91 and the high 98... Opps and Edit The Green handled pumps are generally an Ethanol mix... My Datsun runs ok on Ethanol for some reason...

Bloody thing stalls when hot in the middle of intersections if its on 91... now that is frigging dangerous. Theres no rule/advice book that I know of for the older leaded cars.

The premiums come under various names.... from Vortex to Ultimate and back again... stick with the colour coding is my advice.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Nov 16th 2010 at 11:12 am.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:15 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Welcome to Australia

No, the ethanol stuff is perfectly fine for newer engines. It's old ones you have to watch out for.

S
I have 3.5litre petrol and was strongly advised to stick with stuff like Vortex and not put ethanol anywhere near it by the dealership.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

95 Ron then if I can. If not then up to 98. Sounds like a plan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.