Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Really struggling with heat in Perth

Wikiposts

Really struggling with heat in Perth

Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:18 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really struggling with heat in Perth

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I had this problem in Thailand, could not sleep for love nor money.

Some old lady of about 3 million years old, suggested rubbing Tiger Balm on my wrist, behind the back of my neck, behind my ears, behind my knees and on my ankles before going to bed.

I laughed at what she said but tried it anyway, I had a cold shower immediately before going to bed, drank a cold glass of water, then did the Tiger Balm thing.

You instantly feel cooler with this stuff on, yes it smells like Vics nasal rub but it does cool you down enough to get some sleep.
Tiger Balm is a wonder product. I have some by my bedside and won't travel without it. My Chinese cleaner also swore by nutmeg oil.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:23 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Tiger Balm is a wonder product. I have some by my bedside and won't travel without it. My Chinese cleaner also swore by nutmeg oil.
I need to buy some, I don't know where to buy it in Perth.

Its great for repelling mozzies and even mozzie bites.

I remember having a bugger of a migraine when I was in Bangkok and I rubbed Tiger Balm on the back of my neck, my temples and forehead, my god that gave me some relief.

Fabulous stuff, I must try and find some in Perth.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I remember having a bugger of a migraine when I was in Bangkok and I rubbed Tiger Balm on the back of my neck, my temples and forehead, my god that gave me some relief.

We brought loads over with us as Oh swears by it for his joints.However he has hardly had to use it since coming here.Im sure ive seen it in chemists and in some Asian food stores.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 1:06 pm
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

Try putting A wet tea towel over ur portable fan it cools the air . Try it .
Old Jan 5th 2009, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm another Tiger Balm addict!! I have found it in just the normal local chemist stores here in Brisbane and also in Sydney. If not then try your local chinese corner store!!

Love

Rudi
x

PS The OP - we have a portable aircon unit which is great. My mum and dad were here over Xmas and it was a godsend to them.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Price Rite have been selling both in Rockingham
White-normal strength
Red-strong
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
We had evaporative at one place in Perth and it worked really well apart from when it was really hot and humid. So about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

It was a brand new system, but was simply overpowered on those hot, humid days (over 37 or 38 or so, if I remember correctly). When temperatures were lower than that, we didn't need it anyway.
ditto, waste of time just blew hot air around the house..!
we have two reverse units now - one in the family / kitchen area and one in the main bedroom. hardly ever use the bedroom one but the family one has been on for a few hours a day last few days... OH has bought a ceiling fan so that should help too
Old Jan 5th 2009, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
One of my main fears of moving to Perth has materialised.

I'm suffering with the heat. Now that may sound daft coming from someone who has moved to Australia, but the only real reason I moved was for my Aussie wife who wanted to be closer to family etc.

It's not too bad during the day, but during the night I simply cannot sleep. We're in a small 2 bed townhouse in West Perth with no aircon. It is impossible to sleep in the bedrooms as they are unbearable, so we're on a blow-up mattress in the living room.

Last night I tried absolutely everything. Had numerous cold showers, wet flannel on my face, spraying water on me, fans on (can't sleep then due to noise) but just could not sleep. I think it was around 5ish when I finally did drop off after yet another cold shower.

It's been like this pretty much for the last week, and seeing as the weather is set to continue in this vein for quite a while it looks like I won't be getting too much sleep in the near future. While I was awake last night I was seriously thinking about saying to my wife about returning to the UK, which is ridiculous.

Anyhow - sorry for the little rant. Needed to get it off my chest, and also to see if anyone had any tips about getting to sleep in the hot weather.
Buy a ceiling fan and get used to the noise and have a cold shower just before bed. It works for me.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Well we bought an evap-cooler thingymajig last night and I must say I'm disappointed. It really does seem like an overpriced fan at the moment. Am going to try putting a frozen/cold tea towel over it tonight.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 4:33 pm
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

And it's made with bits of real Tiger so you know it's good
Old Jan 5th 2009, 4:47 pm
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

I sleep with the ceiling fan on but as I am a light sleeper I buy foam earplugs to block out the noise. It seems to work for me.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:22 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley

And it's made with bits of real Tiger so you know it's good
I just shocked and disgusted myself with the first retort that sprang to mind then. Bad, bad Seasider.

PP - I'll gladly send you some if you can't find any. I use it for headaches too, and put it on the bottom of my nose if I have to sleep in aircon or on a plane. Red is good for joint pain, works like Deep Heat.

An added bonus being, the cats don't like the smell and I don't get one sleeping on my chest.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:47 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I just shocked and disgusted myself with the first retort that sprang to mind then. Bad, bad Seasider.

PP - I'll gladly send you some if you can't find any. I use it for headaches too, and put it on the bottom of my nose if I have to sleep in aircon or on a plane. Red is good for joint pain, works like Deep Heat.

An added bonus being, the cats don't like the smell and I don't get one sleeping on my chest.
I shall have a look in town this week and let you know if I cant find any - thanks for that

I had the red one, forgot I had it on my finger and rubbed my eyes - burnt like hell it did.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:51 pm
Auntie Fa

Oh yes I've done that too and memo to men: if you use tiger balm, wash your hands BEFORE going to the loo.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:37 pm

Oh yes I've done that too and memo to men: if you use tiger balm, wash your hands BEFORE going to the loo.
Not just men, I have a painful and rather vivid memory of being in Thailand and forgetting to wash my hands - burnt my liquorice I did and by jove did I scream.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.