Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Really struggling with heat in Perth

Wikiposts

Really struggling with heat in Perth

Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really struggling with heat in Perth

You can get portable ac which comsists of something as simple as a water filled box through which air is blown which does not have any additional power cost associated with cooling.

Might be noisier.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Noocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Seasider
And slowly killing the planet!

In SEA it amazed me that my friends would use a thick duvet and have their aircon set to 18C. We used an empty duvet cover and IF we used the aircon it was set at 26C for a couple of hours a night. (Oh yes and they were the friends who got their electricity bill paid by the company. )
Actually, the most popular form of cooling in Melbourne is ducted evaporative cooling, which is now everywhere here. It works VERY well in our climate and only costs around 3-4 cents per hour to cool an entire house. Plus, without the use of refrigerants, there's no harm to the environment.

We use our's all the time - we are on Green Power - and it's great, no sleepless nights!

Anyway, if you are renting, the only options are either a portable evaporative cooler (but these don't work as effectively as the fully installed, ducted type) or a portable air conditioner.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You can get portable ac which comsists of something as simple as a water filled box through which air is blown which does not have any additional power cost associated with cooling.

Might be noisier.
we've got one of those but it's not all that good..
Old Jan 4th 2009, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Noocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to allNoocat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bridie
That sounds like portable evaporative cooling. It makes some difference but it's not great. A proper portable aircon unit is better, but it also costs more and not so great for the environment...
Old Jan 4th 2009, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noocat
That sounds like portable evaporative cooling. It makes some difference but it's not great. A proper portable aircon unit is better, but it also costs more and not so great for the environment...
we are going to invest in a proper one, mainly for DD's room as it's always 30 degrees at night, be nice to cool it for a bit before she goes to bed. 'fraid my family's comfort comes before the environment.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noocat
Actually, the most popular form of cooling in Melbourne is ducted evaporative cooling, which is now everywhere here. It works VERY well in our climate and only costs around 3-4 cents per hour to cool an entire house. Plus, without the use of refrigerants, there's no harm to the environment.
Except for the 60 litres of water per hour that it uses. Perhaps that's why Victoria has such a terrible drought situation.

ps. This is not having a personal dig at you
Old Jan 4th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Planet is already on the way out and that is why we need aircon. Fortunately due to our lovely climate in Melbourne we do not have to use aircon very much at all but its there for those unbearable days or nights.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

robtkd1 is a jewel in the roughrobtkd1 is a jewel in the roughrobtkd1 is a jewel in the roughrobtkd1 is a jewel in the rough

Just so you know, i'm in the uk (coming to Perth in 3weeks!) and i woke up this morning to snow. It's so cold this winter that even with the heating on full blast it's still cold.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 6:18 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtkd1
Just so you know, i'm in the uk (coming to Perth in 3weeks!) and i woke up this morning to snow. It's so cold this winter that even with the heating on full blast it's still cold.
I dream about snow.....make the most of it....you may be wishing for some more soon

G
Old Jan 4th 2009, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sunbather
Except for the 60 litres of water per hour that it uses. Perhaps that's why Victoria has such a terrible drought situation.

That's not true. Our system draws up 12 litres of water and hangs onto it for several days. It only dumps that water when the system hasn't been used for 3 days.

I don't even notice it in our water bills. In fact, our overall water usage went down over the past 3 months according to our last bill despite running our cooling system.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by robtkd1
Aaaahhhhh snow......oh the days of when you could wrap up and snuggle under a duvet or two, watching TV and drinking a nice hot cup of soup.

I was sprawled on the sofa at 3am last night with cold, wet flannels on my head - a spray bottle with iced water in my left hand - and a total inability to sleep...

I know which of the two above scenarios I'd prefer.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by bridie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

put ice cold water in from the fridge with ice in you will see it works better.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 11:58 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I had this problem in Thailand, could not sleep for love nor money.

Some old lady of about 3 million years old, suggested rubbing Tiger Balm on my wrist, behind the back of my neck, behind my ears, behind my knees and on my ankles before going to bed.

I laughed at what she said but tried it anyway, I had a cold shower immediately before going to bed, drank a cold glass of water, then did the Tiger Balm thing.

You instantly feel cooler with this stuff on, yes it smells like Vics nasal rub but it does cool you down enough to get some sleep.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:05 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunbather

Nowhere near anything like 60 litres of water an hour. Evaporative air-conditioning reuses the water unless you selectively dump it. It is extremely cheap both in electricity and water consumption.

Having moved from a house which had reverse cycle we're extremely glad to have evaporative now. It's much, much cheaper, and cools the house down far quicker than the reverse cycle ever did. The only downside is that it doesn't have zones so all of the house is always cooled, but I'd still pick evaporative over reverse cycle any day.

And reverse cycle's trump card of providing heat in the winter never seemed to be effective enough - trying to direct hot air downwards is attempting to defy the laws of science. And again it's massively more expensive to run than other options.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

We had evaporative at one place in Perth and it worked really well apart from when it was really hot and humid. So about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

It was a brand new system, but was simply overpowered on those hot, humid days (over 37 or 38 or so, if I remember correctly). When temperatures were lower than that, we didn't need it anyway.

Originally Posted by Kalenge
Nowhere near anything like 60 litres of water an hour. Evaporative air-conditioning reuses the water unless you selectively dump it. It is extremely cheap both in electricity and water consumption.

Having moved from a house which had reverse cycle we're extremely glad to have evaporative now. It's much, much cheaper, and cools the house down far quicker than the reverse cycle ever did. The only downside is that it doesn't have zones so all of the house is always cooled, but I'd still pick evaporative over reverse cycle any day.

And reverse cycle's trump card of providing heat in the winter never seemed to be effective enough - trying to direct hot air downwards is attempting to defy the laws of science. And again it's massively more expensive to run than other options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.