Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It really is NOT easy

It really is NOT easy

Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:17 pm
Here at last

Crazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy It really is NOT easy

Well that's it, left our house on Wednesday, went to Spain on Thursday for Goodbye party for my family for the weekend and the final goodbyes were said tonight as they all flew home leaving us to fly back to Gatwick tomorrow and straight on to Aus!

Nothing prepared me for the emotion involved!

My family don't live near me, we only see each other maybe once or twice a year normally but when we do get together the distance doesn't seem to matter or in fact makes us closer!

But I never actually thought it would be this hard.

For all of you that have made the move, well done and keep strong, I finally understand what you went through.

For all you with the final goodbye still to come - prepare yourself it will be a hundred times harder than you thought!

Look out Brisbane, a load more emotional wrecks will land on Wednesday morning

Cheers BE
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice
Default Re: It really is NOT easy

I feel for you, we are leaving in three weeks and I am constantly clenching my teeth to stop the tears. We had a party on Friday night, organised by friends and I told everybody they couldn't say goodbye, just see you soon and I said I'll email them! One friend organised everybody to write something in a book and she said she read it when she got home and was in tears so Ive said she should give us it when we leave or maybe send it on to Oz, as I think that will finish me off, that and saying goodbye to my mum who hasn't slept for weeks!

Lots of luck with the move and at least you have got the hardest bit out of the way.

All the best

Poppy
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond
Well that's it, left our house on Wednesday, went to Spain on Thursday for Goodbye party for my family for the weekend and the final goodbyes were said tonight as they all flew home leaving us to fly back to Gatwick tomorrow and straight on to Aus!

My family don't live near me, we only see each other maybe once or twice a year normally but when we do get together the distance doesn't seem to matter or in fact makes us closer!

For all of you that have made the move, well done and keep strong, I finally understand what you went through.

For all you with the final goodbye still to come - prepare yourself it will be a hundred times harder than you thought!

Cheers BE
Oh dear bet you've been crying buckets hopefully when you get to oz you'll feel a bit better you'll be shattered with all those flights, make sure you have a proper rest when you arrive, before you start dashing around sorting out your new life

N x
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:44 pm
Here at last

Crazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Poppy
I feel for you, we are leaving in three weeks and I am constantly clenching my teeth to stop the tears. We had a party on Friday night, organised by friends and I told everybody they couldn't say goodbye, just see you soon and I said I'll email them! One friend organised everybody to write something in a book and she said she read it when she got home and was in tears so Ive said she should give us it when we leave or maybe send it on to Oz, as I think that will finish me off, that and saying goodbye to my mum who hasn't slept for weeks!

Lots of luck with the move and at least you have got the hardest bit out of the way.

All the best

Poppy
My eyes are so puffy and tear stained i can hardly see, we were given one of those books and for a family that doesn't do 'sentimental' I can't see me getting over this.

Ive been doing the welling up and unable to speak for the last few weeks now so I know how you feel.

Really wish you all the very best with your move. Good luck xx
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:56 pm
Here at last

Originally Posted by curly
Oh dear bet you've been crying buckets hopefully when you get to oz you'll feel a bit better you'll be shattered with all those flights, make sure you have a proper rest when you arrive, before you start dashing around sorting out your new life

N x
You know I really do feel so sad I can't stop crying but OH went to bed tonight even sadder (if there is such a word) his bloody family have hardly spoken to us since we said we were emigrating. It must be really hard for him seeing the completely opposite reactions of both sides of the family.

I also feel guilty that we have had such a lovely weekend with my family and he has hardly seen his. He must feel so sh1t! But my side of the family think so much of him I really do hope it compensates, even if its only a little.

We really did have a fantastic weekend though - something memories are made of and we'll never forget!

x
Old Oct 24th 2006, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Smile Re: It really is NOT easy

You know I really do feel so sad I can't stop crying but OH went to bed tonight even sadder (if there is such a word) his bloody family have hardly spoken to us since we said we were emigrating. It must be really hard for him seeing the completely opposite reactions of both sides of the family.

I also feel guilty that we have had such a lovely weekend with my family and he has hardly seen his. He must feel so sh1t! But my side of the family think so much of him I really do hope it compensates, even if its only a little.

We really did have a fantastic weekend though - something memories are made of and we'll never forget!

x
Hi - i just wanted to say that i can empathise with you so much. I am dreading the time coming when i have to do my goodbyes. I have had good reactions to us emigrating from all my friends who want the very best for us - but from close family (ie, my parents) they haven't really said much - which proves to me that they disapprove of our decision to move. I know that they are going to miss their grandchildren, but i am their daughter too and i'd like to think that my happiness and that of my partners and our childrens would be more important and that perhaps they could hold back on the bitching about Australia and its "downfalls". They have definitely distanced themselves on the matter and i personally think that they think it will be forgotten about and we wont ever go - (this is because we are waiting now for things to happen with the visa etc so its not talked about so often). This all makes me very unhappy which they probably dont realise or care about and i can see things becoming strained between us nearer the time we might go. I feel for your partner - but tell him he's not alone - there's a few of us out here that will be sharing the same experience and hoping no doubt like him that their families will eventually "come around" to the idea.
Good luck to you both for your new life! take care.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:06 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers BE
I really feel for you Keep strong ..........But look what is a head of you....
( your new life that up until now you only dreamed of)

Good luck
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:19 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers BE
Hi

Just wanted to let you know that things do get easier - honestly

When you arrive in Oz and get in contact with your family again you'll begin to think 'god what were all those tears for'. You will probably speak to your family as much here as you did in the UK (if not then more) and if you have MSN set up then even better.

Seriously - it gets better/easier and life moves on

Take care
Old Oct 24th 2006, 1:07 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to wish you lots of luck and take each day as it comes, it's the only way...... C x
Old Oct 24th 2006, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers BE
Yeah, like the others I feel for you too and know what you've just been through, I've done it in reverse as it were by leaving friends and family in Oz to come to the UK. However, being married to a Brit I now have a new family and I've made new friends and also tell yourself that in these days of internet, webcams, email, very cheap relatively speaking flights etc that being on the other side of the world is like being a few hundred miles away in days of yore.

Good luck!

OzTennis
Old Oct 24th 2006, 1:38 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Crazy Diamond]Well that's it, left our house on Wednesday, went to Spain on Thursday for Goodbye party for my family for the weekend and the final goodbyes were said tonight as they all flew home leaving us to fly back to Gatwick tomorrow and straight on to Aus!

The very thought is stopping me from committing to my plans...I really do empathise.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi - i just wanted to say that i can empathise with you so much. I am dreading the time coming when i have to do my goodbyes. I have had good reactions to us emigrating from all my friends who want the very best for us - but from close family (ie, my parents) they haven't really said much - which proves to me that they disapprove of our decision to move. I know that they are going to miss their grandchildren, but i am their daughter too and i'd like to think that my happiness and that of my partners and our childrens would be more important and that perhaps they could hold back on the bitching about Australia and its "downfalls". They have definitely distanced themselves on the matter and i personally think that they think it will be forgotten about and we wont ever go - (this is because we are waiting now for things to happen with the visa etc so its not talked about so often). This all makes me very unhappy which they probably dont realise or care about and i can see things becoming strained between us nearer the time we might go. I feel for your partner - but tell him he's not alone - there's a few of us out here that will be sharing the same experience and hoping no doubt like him that their families will eventually "come around" to the idea.
Good luck to you both for your new life! take care.
You are so right! I can definitely sympathise with you on that one. From day one when we first mentioned going to Oz my parents basically didn't want to know and avoid the subject like the plague. They never ask us how our house sale is going, they avoid the subject of Australia unless it's in general terms, and I hear from my sister that they don't want us to take their grandkids away (my children are the only ones they have), and they don't want to get too close to my 18 month old because they'll *lose him*. On the odd occasion when the subject has been mentioned they just point out the negative aspects of Australia, or if we tell them anything at all, they just grunt. Unfortunately because they took this attitude from day one it's got harder and harder for me to discuss anything with them at all about our plans. It's got to the stage now where I feel it's too late to talk. Personally I think they avoid the subject because to talk about it would make it seem real to them. They have also said they won't visit.

Crazy Diamond - enjoy your new life! Once you're actually there I'm sure you'll be too busy to be too emotional. It's a shame your OH's parents never came round to the idea. I just hope that when it comes to it my parents will actually be happy for us. Good luck with it all.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 12:49 am
JDH
Just Joined

JDH is just really niceJDH is just really niceJDH is just really niceJDH is just really niceJDH is just really niceJDH is just really niceJDH is just really niceJDH is just really nice

Cheers BE

Hello,
I hope you're feeling okay. I've been in Sydney for 4 months now and still get upset when i think of our goodye. 20 friends and family came to the airport to say goodbye and it was one of the hardest most surreal experiences i've ever had, we ddin't ask any of them to come but they wanted to even my elderly grandparents. It was so so sad, i cried the whole flight. Also we had a leaving party the friday before organised by friends, i was determined not to cry and didn't all through the night until the end of the night, my friend had rang around all my friends who'd left me messages which she'd put onto cd and they were played on the loudspekaer in the bar we'd hired. it was awful and everyone was in tears, my poor 19 yr old sis who is normally very unemotional was ever so upset. they also (i do have such good friends) bought a polaroid and took pics at the party and stuck them in a message book. I can only now look at it without crying. It definitely does get easier, in the first few weeks i never thought it would, i couldn't even phoen home for 2 weeks as i knew i'd cry down the phone but didn't want my mom to hear that. i constantly asked the question what have we done. my husband (we don't have kids) was very supportive and now there's been a bit of a turnaround where i'm feeling a lot happier and relaxed (still hoemsick at times though) but he is extremely homesick and only wants to do a year and then go back home.
we're in a similar postition where we're both very close to my family, see them at least once a week and he actually misses them more than his own. his own showed very little emotion when we left not cause they didn't want us to go just cause that's what they're like!!

whatever happens, good luck, i and many others know how you're feeling.
take care
Old Oct 25th 2006, 3:10 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers BE
You poor thing, i remember the goodbyes vividly !! It was awful, However, like everyone says.. It does get easier !! And be prepared to feel homesick at some point, but again it gets easier too. We've been here almost 2 years now, and its only now that i can truthfully say im settled here!! So stick with it, and remember we've all been through it so when you ever need to talk, dont hesitate to PM me

Good luck ,and safe journey fee
Old Oct 25th 2006, 4:04 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

This brings back memories!!! what an emotional wreck i was when we left too. I thought it would be easier and that i was stronger, but NO...i still feel sick when i think about it, remembering my parents last words and their faces.

Was it all worth it no not yet!!

good luck to you all anyway...we are brave people doing what we do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.