Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Really getting fed up now!!!!!

Really getting fed up now!!!!!

Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

fisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nice
Default Really getting fed up now!!!!!

I/We are really getting fed up waiting on our move to OZ!!!

My hubby has had his PR spouse visa for nearly 2 years and we went to Oz to validate it last Jan. The house has been up for sale for 2 years (in a seaside village which is becoming holiday home central) with a lot of interest but buyers want a perfect place down the harbour, which we arent.

Our oldest daughter is due to start High school in Aug this year and doesnt know whether to be excited to be going as things could change at any minute. Hubby works away from home (keeping his job) and I am getting REALLY unsettled now. Our youngest just goes with the flow.

We are waiting to sell before we move (lots of reasons) but we are all finding things becoming hard to cope with at times. It is putting your life on hold all this time which is the hardest and not being able to make any plans in advance.

How do you cope?
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:13 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default Re: Really getting fed up now!!!!!

Originally Posted by fisher lass

My hubby has had his PR spouse visa for nearly 2 years and we went to Oz to validate it last Jan. The house has been up for sale for 2 years (in a seaside village which is becoming holiday home central) with a lot of interest but buyers want a perfect place down the harbour, which we arent.

Our oldest daughter is due to start High school in Aug this year and doesnt know whether to be excited to be going as things could change at any minute. Hubby works away from home (keeping his job) and I am getting REALLY unsettled now. Our youngest just goes with the flow.

We are waiting to sell before we move (lots of reasons) but we are all finding things becoming hard to cope with at times. It is putting your life on hold all this time which is the hardest and not being able to make any plans in advance.

How do you cope?
If you have any savings, rent the house out, book the flights and get over here. If you are coming to South Australia, use the On Arrival Accommodation as all is included for a small fee and you can stop for 3 months (otherwise see if there is something similar).

That's what we did, house is rented and though there was loads of interest no-one seemed to be able to get a mortgage for it. Certainly glad we came over that way otherwise we'd still be waiting.

If you know where you are going, get some good contacts, you'll find plenty of people willing to help you out!

Best of luck!
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Rent it.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Kat_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Rent it.
We are going to rent house in UK out for about 2 years and see how the market and exchange rate goes. Decided it would be a good idea anyway so we have time to settle in and find the area in Melbourne that we like before committing to buying.

We are going to get a buy to rent mortgage and pay interest only so the rent we receive should cover any outgoings in the UK.

This is possible as OH has a job to go to so in this respect we are lucky that we will be earning straight away but I apreciate not everyone could do this.

Good luck with your move.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

fisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nice

We have thought about that.

But when we bought the house it needed a lot of work and although it is nearly all done some of the work (which will/could take a lot of time) that is required is essential for us to rent it out.

It just doesnt seem viable to us at the moment as there are a few other factors for us to sort out and financially I dont think we could manage.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

We waited a very long to time to go to Oz also, it took 3 years to sell our house, but we did it in the end...

Hubby arrived 4 days before his visa ran out and I will be joining him in 15 days time

I know exactly what you mean about feeling your life is on hold, we felt exactly the same but then decided to just carry on as normal because we weren't doing anything, so we went on the holidays we wanted to go on and only did the basics round the house (no major decorating etc etc).

My son also started high school September last year and has now done 8 months there and has to leave, but that in itself has been an experience for him.

My advice for what its worth is just go with the flow and it will happen if and when it is meant to.

It does get frustrating at times but hey that's life.

for you
Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

I am a big believer that everything happens for a reason.

I know it is about just getting on and do normal stuff but AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Some days it is just so hard.

I suppose life was never meant to be easy lol
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all

I am also a firm believer that things happen for a reason

A couple of our friends are in Melbourne and they have rented their house out after being given teh run around trying to sell it and they believe it was the better choice to make.

The rent more than covers the morgage and also gives them a small income, but also leaves them with a property in the UK which will hopefully hold its value and should everything go wrong gives them a house to go back to.

They are going to look at selling it again in a couple of years time as they will then have a better idea if the OZ lifestyle is for them.

I hope this helps?

Chelly
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:19 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

We have thought about that.

But when we bought the house it needed a lot of work and although it is nearly all done some of the work (which will/could take a lot of time) that is required is essential for us to rent it out.

It just doesnt seem viable to us at the moment as there are a few other factors for us to sort out and financially I dont think we could manage.
I spent the last couple of months (in our UK house) redecorating, painting fences, repairing roof tiles (), finishing off all those 'outstanding jobs'. I even laid down new tiles in the conservatory and block paved part of the back garden!

When the estate agents came to give estimates of potential earning, all of them said that the condition was excellent and way above a lot of other houses they had on their books. Honestly I was surprised as I just thought it was ok.

Set your mind to it, you'll be surprised how fast you can get things done. Maybe a little help from family and friends .

If you do end up renting a house out in the UK, you can still declare this as your main residence in Australia so won't have to pay any capital gains on it when you sell it. Just means you can't buy a house here until you sell the UK one.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 1:44 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

How do you cope?
If you haven't sold it after 2 years that would suggest it is overpriced. The value of something is what someone is prepared to pay for it, not what you decide it is worth. Drop the price, sell it, come over to Oz and start living. Simple
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

We have already dropped our price - that is not the problem.

Our problem is that we live in a coastal tourist village that has changed from being a working fishing villiage to an artists haven which has up'ed the prices which are now outwith local peoples range. People are coming from the cities to buy but want places (mostly a second homes or to retire)) over looking the harbour. Unfortunately for us and also another couple trying to sell (3 yrs and dropped £50k) we live on the road running through but it is a quiet village road not the M8 which is what they all believe it is!!!

It all happens for a reason
It all happens for a reason
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:05 am
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by BAY
If you haven't sold it after 2 years that would suggest it is overpriced. The value of something is what someone is prepared to pay for it, not what you decide it is worth. Drop the price, sell it, come over to Oz and start living. Simple
Rubbish. We knocked about £30,000 off our modest price. All it did was increase the numbers of viewings to almost 1 every other day - they still didn't buy, and many kept coming back for second visits before try to secure finance and then finding out that it was out of their price range.

I asked the estate agent if taking another £15,000 off would increase the chance of a sale, and they said plenty of people wanted to buy in the price range it was in, but couldn't get anywhere near it with finance - even if we took another £15,000 off.

I got sick of all the visitors in the end and took it off the market.