Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Really confused with "hidden" used car costs from dealer -WA

Really confused with "hidden" used car costs from dealer -WA

Old Mar 11th 2019, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

bluetooth is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Really confused with "hidden" used car costs from dealer -WA

Hello, i am moving over to Perth area in April and have been researching cars (sooo expensive, yikes!). I am swaying towards going for a dealer (something i never do in the uk) mainly for peace of mind with the warranty! However i am really confused with the pricing. I have read about stamp duty etc and i understand that (i think), but GST confuses the hell out of me and i cannot find a straight answer anywhere.

If a car is advertised as $7000 with a dealer, are the "hidden costs" just the stamp duty and license transfer? Around $208 or something according to the WA website, or do I have to pay 10% GST ONTOP of the advertised price? So another $700 GST? Or is that factored in with the asking price from a dealer.

Also from what i understand, a rego is paid every year and is basically road tax and third party insurance? It also means while valid you don't need to get the car "MOT'd" unless a copper gives you a slip? On the particular car i am looking at (a toyota aurion) i think it appears to be about $800 for a year, so if buying from a dealer i'm assuming i would also have to pay that ontop of the purchase price (i notice pretty much every car for sale has only 1 month rego left, hardly any with 11months etc like the uk would have with mot).

Can someone please simplify it for me, if a $7000 car is actually more $9000 it will effect my budget alot on my first car! But a "year warranty with unlimited miles/claims" makes me think a dealer is a good option.

Cheers
Old Mar 11th 2019, 10:46 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really confused with "hidden" used car costs from dealer -WA

Originally Posted by bluetooth
Also from what i understand, a rego is paid every year and is basically road tax and third party insurance?
Just to be clear about that, it's compulsory third party insurance...it ONLY covers you for injuries you might cause other people...it's not coverage for damage done to other cars, property etc...so other insurance is really still required.

Old Mar 11th 2019, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, that's good to know. Does this other insurance cover anyone driving the car? or does it only cover me? I did a comparison site and it only asked what age caps i will have on who is driving, it didn't ask me for specific names of people like the Uk would as a named driver.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 11:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that's good to know. Does this other insurance cover anyone driving the car? or does it only cover me? I did a comparison site and it only asked what age caps i will have on who is driving, it didn't ask me for specific names of people like the Uk would as a named driver.
It depends on what insurance you want. Mine, for example lists my partner as a secondary driver but states that nobody under age 25 is covered. Therefore, my 24 year old daughter cannot drive my car. I'm with Allianz and have been for over 12 years now.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 5:30 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Generally there is an additional excess (can be very high) for drivers who are not named on the policy...but they are still covered, subject to any age restrictions you've agreed to etc.

However, I've always found if I add additional named drivers (with clean driving history) it doesn't result in any additional premium so almost no reason to have unnamed drivers. Probably would be different if they were much younger than me.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 9:30 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

We’ve been with RAC for 14 yrs now, for obvious reasons. It’s a WA company without shareholders, only one providing immediate road side assistance, plus the funding of RAC helicopter during accidents. First 8 years there was a age limit on drivers but as we made no claims in that period (hubby and me, clean records, driving 2002 Toyota Prado 4WD) the age restrictions were removed and no changes to monthly charges ($45) despite our learner driver using it. Apart from that, rego, paid yearly, can be done 6/3 monthly as well. Remember also that if your rego or license renewal date is over 14 days overdue, your insurance policy is null and avoid for any accidents until you’ve paid those two up.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Cheers guys I'll take into account the money for extra insurance

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding the payment of GST on a car purchased from a dealer? Do I pay that on top of the asking price or is it already factored in (used cars only)
Old Mar 12th 2019, 12:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys I'll take into account the money for extra insurance

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding the payment of GST on a car purchased from a dealer? Do I pay that on top of the asking price or is it already factored in (used cars only)
GST is already in the price.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 9:18 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Just like in the UK, warranty on used cars is worthless - and the dealers here are as bad or if not worse that UK dealers. For anything over 5 years old, I would buy private and always have. carsales.com.au will give you a good idea of market prices.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

You need to look for the advertised "drive away" price, which means that.

Rego is quite expensive - several hundred Dollars a year.

Full comprehensive car insurance (you should have this, don't go cheap on insurance) is another several hundred Dollars a year.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Just like in the UK, warranty on used cars is worthless - and the dealers here are as bad or if not worse that UK dealers. For anything over 5 years old, I would buy private and always have. carsales.com.au will give you a good idea of market prices.
no

We always bought from a dealer, near new and the car always had to have a seevice full log book history, I could never understand not having MOT's , the fact that you also pay a bit higher on your car registration because of insurance (a lot of people do not buy insurance hence why it's in your reg) we always went fully comp we were with QBE and found them excellent.