Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Really confused.....Brisbane Suburbs/Schools

Really confused.....Brisbane Suburbs/Schools

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Linz-n-Graham is a jewel in the roughLinz-n-Graham is a jewel in the roughLinz-n-Graham is a jewel in the roughLinz-n-Graham is a jewel in the roughLinz-n-Graham is a jewel in the rough
Default Really confused.....Brisbane Suburbs/Schools

Hi all,

Really confused and feeling a bit stressed and overwhelmed about moving to Oz.

We move in May next year and I am trying to learn enough about a few suburbs so that when we arrive we have a rough idea of where we might live!?

So far the top 4 are;

Bellbowrie
Riverhills
Springfield/Springflied Lakes
Manly (this is a new one on the list!!!)

Hubby will be working in Acacia Ridge area and we'll rent to begin with although when we buy the budget will be approx $450000 (Hopefully for a 4 bed)

We both drive and it's not top of the list to be near the coast. Looking for advice on schools/commute/what the areas are like - any information really!!

Any advice or suggestions - all gratefully received!!!

Thanks.

Linz.x
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

mavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Really confused.....Brisbane Suburbs/Schools

Hi there, we move to Brisbane end of next year (if paperwork goes through on time). We are heading to Daisy Hill/Shailer Park/Cornubia area so I can't help you with info on the areas you are are looking at but if you decide to look in any of the areas I have mentioned give me a shout and I'll tell you what I know!

Good luck.

mav
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Linz-n-Graham is a jewel in the roughLinz-n-Graham is a jewel in the roughLinz-n-Graham is a jewel in the roughLinz-n-Graham is a jewel in the roughLinz-n-Graham is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mavine1
Hi there, we move to Brisbane end of next year (if paperwork goes through on time). We are heading to Daisy Hill/Shailer Park/Cornubia area so I can't help you with info on the areas you are are looking at but if you decide to look in any of the areas I have mentioned give me a shout and I'll tell you what I know!

Good luck.

mav
Thanks for your reply. I had researched the Shailer park area, it seems to be a good area for commuting into the CBD and I know someone in Oz who is thinking of moving there - said they were really impressed when they had a look about recently.

I fancy something a bit more rural (Ideally Bellbowrie - No 1 on the list) but because of the commute and what I've been told about peak time traffic I don't think it will work!?

Thanks again.

Linz.x
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

mavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Linz-n-Graham
Thanks for your reply. I had researched the Shailer park area, it seems to be a good area for commuting into the CBD and I know someone in Oz who is thinking of moving there - said they were really impressed when they had a look about recently.

I fancy something a bit more rural (Ideally Bellbowrie - No 1 on the list) but because of the commute and what I've been told about peak time traffic I don't think it will work!?

Thanks again.

Linz.x
Hi Linz, not having done the commute from there I wouldn't like to judge.....maybe one of the other expat members can help on that....have you looked at Greenbank? Much more rural that Daisy Hill etc....but once you are on the main road it takes you straight up to Acacia Ridge....

mav
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linz-n-Graham
Hi all,

Really confused and feeling a bit stressed and overwhelmed about moving to Oz.

We move in May next year and I am trying to learn enough about a few suburbs so that when we arrive we have a rough idea of where we might live!?

So far the top 4 are;

Bellbowrie
Riverhills
Springfield/Springflied Lakes
Manly (this is a new one on the list!!!)

Hubby will be working in Acacia Ridge area and we'll rent to begin with although when we buy the budget will be approx $450000 (Hopefully for a 4 bed)

We both drive and it's not top of the list to be near the coast. Looking for advice on schools/commute/what the areas are like - any information really!!

Any advice or suggestions - all gratefully received!!!

Thanks.

Linz.x
If you're working on the southside I'd try and find somewhere to live on the southside. Brisbane doesn't have enough bridges crossing the river upstream from the CBD which can make commuting awkward. We live out at Bellbowrie / Moggill and like everywhere there are pluses and minuses, but definitely more pluses. The commute into the CBD has improved a lot since the Moggill Road was dualled a year or so ago. There is a ferry across the river at the end of Moggil Road which would take you onto the Ipswich Motorway which they're massively upgrading currently, but it's a bit archaic to be honest.

I work in Manley and if you're well heeled it's very nice, lots of expensive properties within walking distance of the bay which have a knock-on effect, price wise, for a lot of very average properties further inland.

Riverhills / Jindalee / Sumner Park I like, nice housing stock, good access to the Centenary Motorway north and south, don't know what the schools are like though.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:33 am
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spartacus

I work in Manley and if you're well heeled it's very nice, lots of expensive properties within walking distance of the bay which have a knock-on effect, price wise, for a lot of very average properties further inland.
Agree with this ... unfortunately! We love the area and are happy to continue renting there for a while but unless something dramatic happens with house prices, we will be moving to the outskirts here to get more for our money. Close to the waterfront with even a scrap of a view, you are looking at anything upwards of $850,000 and more likely to be $950+. Further back and still nice, but no mansion by any stretch of the imagination .... you're looking at around $600. Places can be bought for around $450-$500 but they either have to be on the real outskirts of manly - or a bit of a shack!! There are some good buys out there but you will really have to do your research ... but there are other good areas in the bayside that are less expensive.

Pm me if you want to know more - our son is at manly state if you're interested in knowing more about that one. Good luck
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by myrtle1
Agree with this ... unfortunately! We love the area and are happy to continue renting there for a while but unless something dramatic happens with house prices, we will be moving to the outskirts here to get more for our money. Close to the waterfront with even a scrap of a view, you are looking at anything upwards of $850,000 and more likely to be $950+. Further back and still nice, but no mansion by any stretch of the imagination .... you're looking at around $600. Places can be bought for around $450-$500 but they either have to be on the real outskirts of manly - or a bit of a shack!! There are some good buys out there but you will really have to do your research ... but there are other good areas in the bayside that are less expensive.

Pm me if you want to know more - our son is at manly state if you're interested in knowing more about that one. Good luck
Shack was the word I was looking for . . .
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:53 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

A few areas I would look at if I was working at Acacia Ridge would be as follows.

Jindalee, Sinnamon Park, Middle Park, Sumner Park, Chelmer, Graceville, Sherwood, Corinda, Holland Park and Mount Gravatt.

I would say the communte from most of your original list (except for Springfield Lakes) would not be pleasant. I went from Mount Gravatt to the City today in peak hour and it took 1 hour 10 mins (about 10 klm)!

Disclaimer - I know nothing about the schooling options and dont know how far $450,000 would stretch.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 2:01 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Jindalee, Sinnamon Park, Middle Park, Sumner Park, Chelmer, Graceville, Sherwood, Corinda, Holland Park and Mount Gravatt.
From a Schooling perspective Sherwood/Graceville are great opions as they pu you close to Indooroopilly which has a very good state high school (and good private schools if thats your cup of tea). Holland park and Mt Gravatt are nice areas - but the schools arent as highly regarded.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

simsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nice

If you live in Bellbowrie you will be within the catchment area of one of the best State High Schools - Kenmore (there is high competition to get into this school and there a tight catchment area). Be careful with Riverhills - there is a good side and a not so good side - the part that merges with Westlake is the good side. I dont know much about the other areas. Like someone else said, Jindalee, Sinnamon Park, Middle Park, Jamboree Heights and Westlake are all good family areas - there are 3 local primary schools there plus a private primary - the high school is Centenary High School - I have heard both good and bad reports about that school (like most other schools). My oldest daughter goes there and has no problems but i will try and get my younger daughter into Kenmore when her time comes.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
From a Schooling perspective Sherwood/Graceville are great opions as they pu you close to Indooroopilly which has a very good state high school (and good private schools if thats your cup of tea). Holland park and Mt Gravatt are nice areas - but the schools arent as highly regarded.
The other bonus is that you are on the train line not too far from the CBD. CBD parking is very expensive and driving often becomes a non starter due to traffic/cost. Don't think the houses will be in budget though?
Old Nov 24th 2010, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Thank you to everyone who has replyed so far.

From what i'd researched so far I suspected the travelling wasn't going to be good from bellbowrie, I think I just hoped I was wrong! It's great to hear from everyone who is in oz already and know first hand.

Did/Does anyone else feel really stressed about the move - still got 6 months to go - I know it's the right thing to do for our family and I am excited but it's all the 'what if's' - don't know if i can cope!

Thanks again.x
Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

you should pick springfield lakes - large british population, good area with plenty of quality schools available - transport to and from isnt _too_ bad ... and best yet ive just moved to melbourne and have my house in springfield lakes available for you to rent

lol
Old Nov 27th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Holland Park has Holland Park Primary and Cavendish Road secondary. Both highly rated, oversubscribed schools. However due to so many people trying to move to catchment Holland Park house prices are ridiculous - entry level shacks $500 - $600K and anything decent $700K plus
Old Nov 27th 2010, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
Holland Park has Holland Park Primary and Cavendish Road secondary. Both highly rated, oversubscribed schools. However due to so many people trying to move to catchment Holland Park house prices are ridiculous - entry level shacks $500 - $600K and anything decent $700K plus
Cavendish Road highly rated, oversubscribed ...I feel old, how times change

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.